Value of: Hardest position to trade for?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Price, obviously, even before his extension. Not that Tavares and Doughty are expendable scrubs but outside of McDavid perhaps Price is the MVP.

What? No. Nope. Not a chance. Not remotely close here.

I shouldn't judge to harshly who hasn't had an insane and inaccurate opinion from time to time.

D/1C
W

G

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
True #1 defenseman are very rarely traded. They generally have a longer prime and don't cost quite as much as a #1 center.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Elite center
Elite defenseman
Elite goaltender

Elite winger
1C
Top-2 D

Top-6 C
Top-4 D
Top-line W

No 1 Goalie

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Have to agree with true No. 1 center. Only about 20 of them out there (yes 31 teams, but some are #1 by default) and they barely ever move. The following are the best centers in the league I can think of, and NONE of them have ever changed teams:

Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Toews
Sedin
Getzlaf
Zetterberg (and previously Datsyuk)
Stamkos
Tavares
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron
Benn

Notable exceptions are Thornton and Seguin, who were both traded by Boston, although Seguin was a RW in Boston at the time he was traded.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Its pretty close between #1RHD and #1C. With I think #1 RHD holding slight more value overall. But you really can not go wrong saying ether would hold the most value to any team in a vacuum.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What? No. Nope. Not a chance. Not remotely close here.

I shouldn't judge to harshly who hasn't had an insane and inaccurate opinion from time to time.

D/1C
W

G

Yeah I mean, in general #1D and #1C are harder to acquire than a #1G for sure but the question was if Price is harder to acquire than Doughty or Tavares, and imo he is AINEC. Context says hi.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ben Bishop

Eh, that's a grey area. He wasn't playing like a #1 when he was dealt. It'll be interesting to see if he can rebound.

I was about to mention Fleury, but I forgot he was simply exposed. Going further back, the most recent one I can think of is Miller to St.Louis.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Eh, that's a grey area. He wasn't playing like a #1 when he was dealt. It'll be interesting to see if he can rebound.

I was about to mention Fleury, but I forgot he was simply exposed. Going further back, the most recent one I can think of is Miller to St.Louis.

Mike Smith. Not really a grey area when he was an all star last year.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I'd have to go with Right handed top pairing defensemen are the hardest to acquire.

No one likes to give up a #1 or #2 RHD, especially during the middle of a regular season.

Top pairing RHD-men are easier to obtain in the offseason but still cost some valuable assets to acquire.

1-2 RHD
1 C
1-2 LHD
1 G
1 LW-RW

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
1. C
2. Rhd
3. Lhd
4. Lw
5. Rw
6. G

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You also do not need a #1D to win. You absolutely need a #1C to win.

1D are more valuable, but I see that most teams do need one to win, unless you have Crosby and Malkin and a pretty good group at skating fast and playing 2-way hockey.

You are right though a 1C is a must to win in the NHL, without that it puts pressure on the rest of the forwards to take over the void left by the 1C.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think it's hardest to trade for a #1 D at this time. In the past a true 1C was more valuable, but as officiating changed post lockout the game changed. The key is to have a defense that is fast, gets the puck out of the zone and up ice quickly, hitting the forwards at speed or joining the rush.

When more obstruction was allowed, the ability to handle the puck in tight places and play-make was more valuable. When the rules or officiating change again, the more valuable position may change again.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A top center for sure. It's pretty much impossible unless you draft well or spend an arm and a leg to trade for one. Having a top defenseman is obviously a big plus, but at least with that, if you can find some good top 4 players to fill in, you don't need an elite defenseman.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
The elite of the elite #1Cs are probably the most valuable pieces in the league, but we're talking like 5 guys total (McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, your favorite from the Scheifele/Backstrom/Getzlaf tier). If we're comparing guys in the 6-15 range, I'd say the D are more valuable there. 15-30 starts to even out in terms of value between the two positions.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
#1C
#1 RHD

#1C are a lot harder to acquire. You pretty much can only get them by picking high in the draft and developing them internally. If it's a young #1C- then almost impossible outside of drafting.

At least for D they can be scattered throughout in the draft if scouted/developed properly.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think you just need strong center depth. Ottawa went pretty far without a true #1. Nashville went far even with Johansson injured.

They won 4 games (and lost 4 games) without him - so I wouldn't get to far ahead of yourself there.

That said, there's been several teams that have done well without high end centers - Edmonton 06, Calgary 04, Ottawa 17, NYR 14&15, NJ 12 - and I'm sure some others I'm missing. But I can't think of a single team that's won a cup without a true #1C. I know of two who've won without a #1D (CAR 06, PIT 17).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad