Value of: Hardest position to trade for?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Being a preds fan I think the absolute hardest position to acquire a top player for is a centreman. Is this true? I think goalies are easier to acquire than a top line centre. What about a top pairing defenseman?
I mean Nashville has never had to worry about that because we draft the crap out of amazing defenseman, but do other teams struggle with this more so than a top line centre?

Basically it would come down to this:
Who would be the hardest to acquire out of Carey price, John Tavares or drew doughty??
I am not talking about team needs or weaknesses, I just mean what is the hardest position to trade for? Picture those three on any given team.

I mean I see centres as the hardest to get but we traded a top defenseman for a top centre straight up with the Johansen for jones deal.

Are centres the hardest to acquire or no? I can't imagine it being a goalie, but I can definitely see top defenseman.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Being a preds fan I think the absolute hardest position to acquire a top player for is a centreman. Is this true? I think goalies are easier to acquire than a top line centre. What about a top pairing defenseman?
I mean Nashville has never had to worry about that because we draft the crap out of amazing defenseman, but do other teams struggle with this more so than a top line centre?

Who would be the hardest to acquire out of Carey price, John Tavares or drew doughty??
I am not talking about team needs or weaknesses, I just mean what is the hardest position to trade for? Picture those three on any given team.

I mean I see centres as the hardest to get but we traded a top defenseman for a top centre straight up with the Johansen for jones deal.

Are centres the hardest to acquire or no? I can't imagine it being a goalie, but I can definitely see top defenseman.

Price, obviously, even before his extension. Not that Tavares and Doughty are expendable scrubs but outside of McDavid perhaps Price is the MVP.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

You're a Preds fan. Your team has an abundance of defenseman. In fact you arguably have 4 top pairing defenseman and your GM wont trade one of them for Matt Duchene who is a #1C. That should show you that defenseman are more valuable than centres.

FTR I agree with Poile refusing to trade Ekholm for Duchene.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
i'd say defense, nobody wants to give a good one up it seems unless Ryan Johansen comes back.

Even then it's your quantity. CBS had no good centers after Johansen (Before Wennberg's emergence), and still traded for a position of need, despite having an already very good RHD in Savard.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Defense. More specifically Right defense - Signed an Oilers fan.

How I see it is handedness is the most important for defenseman and least important for centers. Centers simply need balance with wingers. For the Flames a right handed shot center would be awesome especially to compliment Gaudreau's elite passing. For the Preds on the other hand a left handed playmaking defenseman would be great for Arvidsson/Forsberg. But as a whole the handedness isn't as important, as centers don't play the boards as often and overall their handedness makes little difference overall.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Right now I would say it is a true #1D man. You would almost have to draft one since it would be very rare for a team to give one up in a trade. Or one can wait if one makes it to UFA status.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You're a Preds fan. Your team has an abundance of defenseman. In fact you arguably have 4 top pairing defenseman and your GM wont trade one of them for Matt Duchene who is a #1C. That should show you that defenseman are more valuable than centres.

FTR I agree with Poile refusing to trade Ekholm for Duchene.

Bingo.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Reading people's opinions on here it really makes the straight up swap of Jones for Johansen even more incredible, especially since it's now been a season and a half and it has worked tremendously for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad