Hardcore Hockey League

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the prospect of a new league forming. This is completely hypothetical. Essentially 8 Canadian teams, 15 games in the season (1 a week). Top 4 make playoffs, 1 winner.

The Idea behind the league is 4v4 hockey. Similar rules to the NHL with a few changes.

- No instigator rule
- Rosters are limited to 14 players each
- Hits to the head are not considered clean hits
- Hits everywhere else are :)
- Goalies equipment is made smaller
- 3 timeouts per game, can be substituted for video replay
- All players wear Microphones, Trash talking is expected
- The boards are mic'd to play a more crunching noise during hits
- Helmit cams are put in

Basically the idea is to get hockey into areas of Canada where it currently is not. Play a more physical uptempo game. Players are marketed to the fanbase, not teams.

iceman64

Jan 5, 2007
Kansas City
creative idea however it might fail quickly like the bad XFL experiment they tried a few years ago with pro football.

edit: although arena football is still going strong

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
Maybe Vince McMahon can get involved and you can call it the XHL. Then the league is sure to be a hit!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
creative idea however it might fail quickly like the bad XFL experiment they tried a few years ago with pro football.

edit: although arena football is still going strong

Arena football started in markets where there isn't much competition, or wasn't before they were there. Most of them were AHL cities and then it began to get legs.

iceman64

Jan 5, 2007
Kansas City
Arena football started in markets where there isn't much competition, or wasn't before they were there. Most of them were AHL cities and then it began to get legs.

true they did start out in smaller markets but now most teams are in large markets and the league has survived and is actually doing quite well now. Especially for a league that basically changed the rules of football by having guys play on offense and defense, changing the amount of players on the field and players that are able to go vertically in motion. Arena football games are actually exciting to go to.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
maybe. I dont know how the numbers would work. now, XFL lived and died according to TV ratings. after a strong opening, they sank and so the league was cancelled.

guessing that TV rights would be nominal for this (at least at the start) so HHL would be gate driven? to be in smaller markets, Tix would have to competitive with Junior and AHL, so $15-39.95 range? how much would you pay players, $3000-10000 a game/week? with, ah, 7.5 home games each, how many fans would you have to draw to break even? 3000-5000? I imagine marketing budget would have to be competitive as well...

one problem is that the best talent is going to be in the NHL, then the AHL, and then Europe, so the player talent pool will be weaker, which means that it wil be harder to market the players instead of the team/league concept. with the money the NHL gives players, it would be impossible to make a Bobby Hull WHA type signing today.

Victory Ali*

Now that's Xtreme (notice it's so extreme I left out the "E" on Extreme) man... maybe you could get The Sandman to make a few guest apperances and give the captain of each time a cane shot... or better yet fights can be settled with metal chairs.

By the by there's already an extreme league called the LNAH.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
On the revenue side, I wonder if there are markets in Canada that are underserved by "traditional" hockey? Between the NHL, AHL, CHL, Junior A/B, and University hockey, I wonder how much un-spent hockey money there is out there to tap into?

On the cost side, going national (even just one game a week) is a significant cost in travel alone. Plus, you're most likely competing with AHL salaries which, while not NHL, are steep enough. The CFL springs to mind as the obvious example of a Canadian minor-pro league, and they've got financial problems with two national TV contracts and decades of history on their side.

Let's just say it would be a risk....

Wetcoaster

I saw the title of the thread..... and I am thinking wow - XXX rated hockey.:naughty:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
It's merely a marketing project I've been working on.

Teams in the following

Halifax, Hamilton, Quebec City, Winnepeg, Victoria, Calgary, Regina, St.Johns

Gives a diverse area, each team plays everyone away once, and at home once. Player salaries range between 60-100k per year. Merchandising/TV rights/ticket sales all go to the franchises. The finals would be held at an outdoor rink every year, not just as a gimmick, but because pond hockey is where it all started.

I was looking at doing WWE style intros for the teams/players (Fireworks and music).. Each teams players are elso encouraged to play into the persona of the team, play it up in the media. MIC skills would be 1/4 of the job, as the team captain would have to play crowd and media.

10 minute break in between periods. Enough time to sell concessions, and show replays from the previous periods. It's more about a total show then skill based hockey. Ticket prices would be in the $15-$20 range.

Anyways, just a project right now. If it looks good, I might see about setting up a meeting with some venture capitalists in each city. Never know, but just wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
In many cases, the arenas you would likely see those teams play in are controlled by existing teams at higher levels. Putting aside the fact that Calgary is not likely to support a low level minor league when the Flames and Hitmen are already there, there is very little chance the Flames would be interested in leasing out the Saddledome for a competing team.

However, your fatal flaw is your revenue vs expenses. $60-100k per player per year is impossible on a 15 game season. Realistically, these cities would be not likely to top what their minor or junior league teams draw. So in Calgary, even if you matched the Hitmen's average of 9000 per game, at a ticket price of $20 per game for eight home games, you are not making enough money to cover player costs. Nevermind lease, staffing, marketing, equipment, medical, travel.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
In many cases, the arenas you would likely see those teams play in are controlled by existing teams at higher levels. Putting aside the fact that Calgary is not likely to support a low level minor league when the Flames and Hitmen are already there, there is very little chance the Flames would be interested in leasing out the Saddledome for a competing team.

However, your fatal flaw is your revenue vs expenses. $60-100k per player per year is impossible on a 15 game season. Realistically, these cities would be not likely to top what their minor or junior league teams draw. So in Calgary, even if you matched the Hitmen's average of 9000 per game, at a ticket price of $20 per game for eight home games, you are not making enough money to cover player costs. Nevermind lease, staffing, marketing, equipment, medical, travel.

True, the majority of revenue I have currently is from advertising online. Games would be broadcasted for free on the website, however companies would be charged an advertising fee. IPTV if you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->