Hard slapshot kills hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
This is absolutely horrible, here is the article: http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=146182

My best wishes go out to his family.

He died from taking a slap shot in the chest and I can only help but wonder what type of shoulder pads he was wearing. I'm definitely going to re-consider my very thin virtually no protection at all Sher-Wood traditional shoulder pads and probably buy something with far more protection.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Wow. That is scary. I'm glad I wear HUGE shoulder pads (although they're not great at protecting my midsection). That said, I've been hit in the face twice with a puck/ stick. Once, I wasn't wearing a helmet to impress some girl during an adult stick and puck and it got me right in the forehead and caused no real damage. Got some stitches, but the scar healed.
The second time, I had a visor on and took a stick in the face and lost a tooth got a nasty scar. I've worn a full cage ever since and I recommend it to anyone who isn't in playing for $$$. You're health ought to come first and as I said in another thread, I'll keep my teeth in my mouth.

That said, chicks definitely dig the scar (and the story). :D

Reilly311

Vicious Vic said:
Ask Epen Knutsen. At least the other player knew the risks, as opposed to some 7 year old girl who was just there for an evening of entertainment.

If I was Espen, I wouldn't feel shame. It's the NHL's fault for being run by dinosaurs.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Accord said:
This is absolutely horrible, here is the article: http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=146182

He died from taking a slap shot in the chest and I can only help but wonder what type of shoulder pads he was wearing. I'm definitely going to re-consider my very thin virtually no protection at all Sher-Wood traditional shoulder pads and probably buy something with far more protection.
http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050124/NEWS/101240047

Another link to this story, the team that was playing the Provo team was a local one from the University of Northern Colorado. I am glad to see that the young man who took the shot has not been identified. I am sure he is distraught. What a sad happening.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He could have been saved. CPR or better yet the use of a defibrillator could have saved this kid. I hope someone at least tried, if not there's another big issue here.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^I remember the incident with Pronger, that was scary stuff.

This happened in Vancouver some time ago as well; some kids were playing roller hockey, one of them took a slapshot in the chest and was killed.

On this note, my mother and her sisters were having a discussion along similar lines a while ago. Apparently there is a pulse that beats very rapidly in the chest area; if you strike the chest at the exact moment between beats of this pulse(the name eludes me at the moment), the heart skips and goes into arrest. This has happened in a number of obscure ways--for instance, a child was mouthy to his mother so she bent him over her knee to smack his butt--his arm smacked into his own chest and it killed him. Instances like this.

I'm not sure if this is what happened with the people who were struck by pucks, and don't quote me on everything I said in the above paragraph as it was all hearsay, but it's an idea.

~Canucklehead~

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
This is actually very common in little league baseball. There are 10-15 deaths every year from kids getting hit in the chest by a baseball. Most leagues/teams now require players to wear this plastic protector that goes over their chest, you can find it on google.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
mazmin ~ don't assume so much until you've actually read about what happened.

Here is some information on Commotio Cordis:

The sudden increase in internal chest pressure caused by the blow may create a vagal influence that also plays a role. In a worst-case situation, the blow causes the heart muscle to go into a disorganized quivering that pumps no blood. This disorganized quivering is called ventricular fibrillation -- probably the most common form of cardiac arrest.

Ventricular fibrillation is quickly followed by unconsciousness. Untreated, the intensity of the heart muscle's quivering decreases until the heart is in total standstill. Once the heart reaches total standstill -- this commonly takes several minutes -- its chances of ever being prodded back into organized, productive pumping are usually extremely low. Many resuscitation attempts are stopped shortly after the heart reaches total standstill...

Note: Some researchers have noted an occasional brief period of cardiac arrest occurring when the blow is struck during another portion of the heart's electrical cycle (again, for you medical-types, the QRS complex). However, these cardiac arrests apparently almost always self-correct and the heart spontaneously restarts within a few seconds. It is the blows that hit during a specific portion of the T wave, rather than during the QRS complex, which seem to cause essentially all of the persistent cardiac arrests. One researcher estimates that there is about a one percent chance that a given blow will impact the chest during the especially vulnerable period

more info: www.la12.org

Of documented cases, roughly 16% of victims resuscitated within the first few minutes, survived. In one of the articles discussing Jaxon's case, the surgeon said even if doctors had been on the scene the moment it happened - it's likely he could not have been saved.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Accord said:

best wishes to family yeah :(

omg how can something like this happen.. =(

eggerj

Jan 26, 2005
Hey, my name is Jeremy Egger. I was in Jaxon Logan's graduating class from Palmer High School. I heard about his death this Sunday at church. I did a quick search on Google to find some articles about him and found this forum. Just thought I'd leave a note, even though I'm not a hockey player.
Jaxon was a great kid, always seemed to have a smile on his face. He wasn't really a friend of mine, but I knew him from being around him in class. Right after I heard he passed away, the first thought that crept into my mind was the last time I saw him. I was working around the parking lot of Northrim Bank picking weeds for my lawncare job when Jaxon pulled up in a business truck and got out with a spade and tar bucket to patch holes in the asphalt. I remember him telling me about how he was going to school in Utah...
I found his obituary in the Anchorage Daily News today. It's a sad deal man... so young, and such a freak thing. His folks are at least comforted by the fact that Jaxon died doing what he loved. Makes me think about how precious our time here is.
A funeral service is going to be held on Saturday at 1pm here in Alaska. I've never been to a funeral before; I'm sure it'll make me to think a lot about things. God Bless his family and friends, I can't imagine what's going through their heads.
-Jeremy E.

NEOhioHockeyFan

Mar 17, 2004
Pretty sad story. This has happened recently as well in lacrosse. I recall 2 recent stories, one in particular where a high school kid took a hard shot square in the chest and it killed him.

jacketracket*

Vicious Vic said:
Ask Epen Knutsen. At least the other player knew the risks, as opposed to some 7 year old girl who was just there for an evening of entertainment.
I understand your point, and I don't mean to go OT with this but ...

I think it's important to note that Espen's shot was low to the ice, and was deflected up over the glass when it ramped up Derek Morris' stick.

I realize that it's a small point, and I would imagine that Knutsen, Morris, and the rest of the players on the ice that night probably feel terrible about the incident. Unfortunately, I've seen some mentions of the accident turn into snipes at a player for taking a "wild shot" ...

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
jacketracket said:
I understand your point, and I don't mean to go OT with this but ...

I think it's important to note that Espen's shot was low to the ice, and was deflected up over the glass when it ramped up Derek Morris' stick.

I realize that it's a small point, and I would imagine that Knutsen, Morris, and the rest of the players on the ice that night probably feel terrible about the incident. Unfortunately, I've seen some mentions of the accident turn into snipes at a player for taking a "wild shot" ...

Oh, I definitely know the whole incident wasn't Knutsen or Morris' fault. I was just posting about the emotional impact it can have on a player. Look how far south Espen's game went after the incident. That was no coicidence.

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
eggerj said:
Hey, my name is Jeremy Egger. I was in Jaxon Logan's graduating class from Palmer High School. I heard about his death this Sunday at church. I did a quick search on Google to find some articles about him and found this forum. Just thought I'd leave a note, even though I'm not a hockey player.
Jaxon was a great kid, always seemed to have a smile on his face. He wasn't really a friend of mine, but I knew him from being around him in class. Right after I heard he passed away, the first thought that crept into my mind was the last time I saw him. I was working around the parking lot of Northrim Bank picking weeds for my lawncare job when Jaxon pulled up in a business truck and got out with a spade and tar bucket to patch holes in the asphalt. I remember him telling me about how he was going to school in Utah...
I found his obituary in the Anchorage Daily News today. It's a sad deal man... so young, and such a freak thing. His folks are at least comforted by the fact that Jaxon died doing what he loved. Makes me think about how precious our time here is.
A funeral service is going to be held on Saturday at 1pm here in Alaska. I've never been to a funeral before; I'm sure it'll make me to think a lot about things. God Bless his family and friends, I can't imagine what's going through their heads.
-Jeremy E.
wow. :cry: :cry: :cry:

jacketracket*

Vicious Vic said:
Oh, I definitely know the whole incident wasn't Knutsen or Morris' fault. I was just posting about the emotional impact it can have on a player. Look how far south Espen's game went after the incident. That was no coicidence.
Understood, and my apologies if my post came off wrong. It wasn't meant to be directed at anyone in this thread.

I know most folks are aware of what happened, but I've seen some threads about the event --- here and on other boards --- end up with a poster or two who actually believe that Knutsen took a wild shot that ended up in the stands, so I try to mention the deflection when possible.

And I agree with your assessment of the incident's effect on Espen. He geninely seemed bothered by the accident long afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad