Hard Salary Cap and the end of NHL trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Actually, what you outline is what many of the pro-PA conspiracy whackos have been saying for weeks around here. The lockout, you see, is a grand scheme to insure that nearly all the good players in the league wind up in New York, Chicago and LA with a smattering of them in places like Detroit, Dallas, Philly and Toronto. It's so obvious, isnt it.

Once again, the NFL system has proven that star players don't flee their teams often when given unrestricted free agency. If Green Bay can keep Brett Favre and Ahman Green (not to mention land Reggie White), I think Atlanta, Minnesota and Ottawa will be just fine.

And when did the NHL propose the NFL's system? Once again, you're forgetting revenue sharing. Thats where the NFL's success started.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Actually, what you outline is what many of the pro-PA conspiracy whackos...
Now that you have branded those of us who happen to think that your POV is flawed as "whackos," why don't you address the "Ottawa scenario" I outlined in my previous post?

Surely, a non-whacko such as yourself will be able to intelligently and honestly admit that such a scenario (i.e., the forced divestiture of solid support player in order to retain "star" players) exists regularly today in the NFL under the hardcap nirvana you portray, no?

But let us guess: that's "inconsequential", those players are all "interchangeable". ;)

Last edited:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
Thus, they have an advantage.
ill concede that. However if a player is too stupid to realize that they would be getting the same amount of money either way but one way theyd just get it up front then good riddance

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
hockeytown9321 said:
And when did the NHL propose the NFL's system? Once again, you're forgetting revenue sharing. Thats where the NFL's success started.

Revenue sharing is a key component to the NFL's success. But revenue sharing alone, without a cap, would not give the NFL the balance it has today.
Even with all its revenue sharing, some NFL teams make more than others. In some cases, the disparity is as wide as $100 million a year.
Remove the cap, and you'd see the owners of the better-off teams using that huge advantage to sign away the poorer team's best players. Kind of like what we have in baseball right now.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Trottier said:
Now that you have branded those of us who happen to think that your POV is flawed as "whackos" :speechless , why don't you adress the "Ottawa scenario" I outlined in my previous post?

Surely, a non-whacko such as yourself will be able to intelligently and honestly admit that such a scenario (i.e., the forced divestiture of solid support player in order to retain star players) exists regularly today in the NFL under the hardcap nirvana you portray, no?

But let us guess: that's "inconsequential", those players are all "interchangeable". ;)
do you dispute that there are ProNHLPA whackos?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
No one has ever talked about this but, if the NHL does in fact get an NFL modeled salary cap that could mean the end of NHL trades between teams as we know it. As you know in the NFL 99% of transactions is free agency and 1% is trades between teams which usually ONLY ends up being for draft picks. So the samething could happen to the NHL. I love trades, the NHL trading deadline is such a fun time to see what deals go down and who ends up getting who. And if an NFL system is implemented theres a good chance player for player trades will go by the wayside cause it will be done with ALL free agents instead. I think it would definitely ruin an aspect of the league, just wondering your thoughts on this.

So how many big trades last year, and what were the reason behind those trades?

I know change is hard to accept, but that's how the NHL will improve overall...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Remove the cap, and you'd see the owners of the better-off teams using that huge advantage to sign away the poorer team's best players. Kind of like what we have in baseball right now.

:cry:

With the "terrible" on field (competitive) result of:

2001 champion Arizona Diamondbacks

2002 champion Anaheim Angels

2003 champion Florida Marlins

2004 champion Boston Red Sox.

Oh, the horror! :joker:

txomisc said:
do you dispute that there are ProNHLPA whackos?

Heck, no. They live among us, on both sides!

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
txomisc said:
ill concede that. However if a player is too stupid to realize that they would be getting the same amount of money either way but one way theyd just get it up front then good riddance

A player would be a fool not to take the upfront money. I think there's an excellent chance contracts will not be guaranteed, and even if they are, there will be very favorable buyout clauses. I can't imagine any player ot taking upfront, guaranteed money.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Revenue sharing is a key component to the NFL's success. But revenue sharing alone, without a cap, would not give the NFL the balance it has today.

I'll even dispute that. Take off revenue sharing and just keep the "regular" shared revenues (national tv contract) and the league would be doing just as good imo.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Even with all its revenue sharing, some NFL teams make more than others. In some cases, the disparity is as wide as $100 million a year.

Fine, but shouldn't part of the NHL's plan then include revenue sharing?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Trottier said:
Now that you have branded those of us who happen to think that your POV is flawed as "whackos" :speechless , why don't you address the "Ottawa scenario" I outlined in my previous post?

Surely, a non-whacko such as yourself will be able to intelligently and honestly admit that such a scenario (i.e., the forced divestiture of solid support player in order to retain "star" players) exists regularly today in the NFL under the hardcap nirvana you portray, no?

I didn't call all of you whackos. Don't be so sensitive and try to digest what you read better. I said "pro-PA conspiracy whackos." If you're not a conspiracy whacko, then I wasn't referring to you.

Now, on to the Ottawa situation. You're correct, they may lose some players. Tough. That's happening to many teams already for financial reasons (see Penguins, Pittsburgh; Oilers, Edmonton). A cap at least puts everybody under somewhat equal financial circumstances.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
So, instead, as you know (but other's apparently don't), in exchange for a hardcap, a significantly lower UFA age will be granted.

Can't wait to read the reaction of the pro-hardcapper in Atlanta, once Kovalchuk and Heatley skip town at age 25 (in a couple of years)!

Or the hardcap demagague in Minnesota, once Gaborik flees at 25!

First of all, why would these players "flee"?

Second, what makes you think that Atlanta, with the current system, wouldn't have to trade Heatley or Kovalchuk around that age because they don't have the money to pay them what they want? Yashin, Peca, Comrie, etc they have all "fled" under the old system...

As to the UFA age, it won't go under 27 regardless of the system.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Now, on to the Ottawa situation. You're correct, they may lose some players. Tough. That's happening to many teams already for financial reasons (see Penguins, Pittsburgh; Oilers, Edmonton). A cap at least puts everybody under somewhat equal financial circumstances.

So making something unfair for everyone makes it fair? I don't want to have the argument again, so I guess we'll just have to agree to see that differently.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

OK, consensus. And simply a difference of opinion here. As a fan both of the league and an individual team, I don't consider that a fair tradeoff, so to speak. You do.

At least you now know clearly what is at the heart of one anti-hardcappers concern.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
A player would be a fool not to take the upfront money. I think there's an excellent chance contracts will not be guaranteed, and even if they are, there will be very favorable buyout clauses. I can't imagine any player ot taking upfront, guaranteed money.
so now we are back to the nonguaranteed contracts issue.
first of all i think contracts will still be guaranteed
however if they arent that would definately give the big money guys an advantage IF they were allowed to give signing bonuses the way nfl teams do....I dont think they will be able to tho. It all depends on the CBA of course but given that the NFL has had the cap for awhile the NHL has surely studied its pros and cons and will push for the parts that work and away from the parts that dont

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
hockeytown9321 said:
Fine, but shouldn't part of the NHL's plan then include revenue sharing?

That's fine with me. I've never said a word against revenue sharing.
I will say, however, that revenue sharing is a concern primarily for the owners and fans, not players. If the players are guaranteed a certain percentage of league revenues, it makes no difference for them if those revenues are shared or not. They'll get paid the same regardless.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Trottier said:
OK, consensus. And simply a difference of opinion here. As a fan both of the league and an individual team, I don't consider that a fair tradeoff, so to speak. You do.

At least you now know clearly what is at the heart of one anti-hardcappers concern.
those poor teams that can hardly afford to even pay up to the cap are going to lose those guys anyway

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
That's fine with me. I've never said a word against revenue sharing.
I will say, however, that revenue sharing is a concern primarily for the owners and fans, not players. If the players are guaranteed a certain percentage of league revenues, it makes no difference for them if those revenues are shared or not. They'll get paid the same regardless.
exactly revenue sharing is in effect none of the players business

Brent Burns Beard