TSN: Hard data suggests Sens’ rebuild isn’t over

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hard to take away anything concrete from last season's finish in the standings due to format.

The team is very young, not very good, has shown promise while also having a lot of question marks (goaltending, overall quality of D, depth at forward) on and off the ice (are we ever going to pay signing bonuses).

I'm not sure anyone serious actually honestly thinks the rebuild is over. This season will probably give us a good idea of where we are at and where the holes are.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Doesn't take hard data to see that. Just a quick glance at the roster should be enough

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Depends on what you compare this year's team to, start of last year or end.

We started last year like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Coburn-Brown

This year we should be starting with (not lines but players):

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Sanford
Formenton-White-Watson

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Holden

It's not a big jump but imo it is better than last year particularly if you use hindsight with Dadonov and like last year we should improve as we go, perhaps adding JBD, Sokolov or Thomson if they prove ready.

Oh, we likely also get much better goaltending.

I would so like to see Paul center Stutzle and Brown. I just think it would afford Stu the insulation needed to grow whilst at the same time affording him an opportunity to enjoy success this year.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I think next year is the first one where we can realistically push for the playoffs.

The addition of Sanderson and another year of development for our other young guys will be key. Plus it gives more time for a team ahead of us to drop off.

The X Factor is controlling PD and DJ's obsession with mediocre vets though. I'm super worried we're going to have another terrible start to the season while we "re-learn" that Holden and MDZ should not be taking minutes from our younger more talented players. And Gustavsson is clearly the best goalie in the organization and he might get stashed in the AHL because of Murray's bad contract.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not to say this a playoff team but the "hard data' is underwhelming.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think next year is the first one where we can realistically push for the playoffs.

The addition of Sanderson and another year of development for our other young guys will be key. Plus it gives more time for a team ahead of us to drop off.

The X Factor is controlling PD and DJ's obsession with mediocre vets though. I'm super worried we're going to have another terrible start to the season while we "re-learn" that Holden and MDZ should not be taking minutes from our younger more talented players. And Gustavsson is clearly the best goalie in the organization and he might get stashed in the AHL because of Murray's bad contract.
There is no obsession with vets by the coach or GM, they bring these guys in while the prospects are still developing & not quite ready to play a full NHL schedule. These guys are usually UFAs & get moved by the TDL for picks & at that point they insert the prospects who have shown are ready. If they insert too many young players at the same time it could turn out to be a lot worse especially in their development.

Last yr they added Norris, Stutzle & Zub to the roster, this yr they are adding Formenton & Pinto to the roster & Gustavsson once Forsberg is traded by the TDL. At that point they could also add Sokolov & maybe one of JBD, Brannstrom or Thomson after the TDL. Next season I expect they could add Sanderson & Greig & maybe Boucher if he leaves school early & Kleven at some point. Lots of guys coming over the next 2 yrs that should change this lineup dramatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We know the rebuild isn't over when we're still missing a few key components. Those 1C, 1/2RW, 2/3D slots are still open.
5 of the top 6 is locked in. Our 6th top 6 was our leading goal scorer. We need another top 4 D but he is coming in April.

Reactions: Prajna

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
To be fair, the pandemic means he likely cannot really keep that promise right now. Hard to blame Melnyk for that.
Yeah the pandemic really lets him get away with one there. I of course course never bought it for a second but hey, words are words and thanks to covid he now has something to hide behind.

All I'd say is well, kids, if you look in the real world you see that a lot of billionaires are doing really well if not better thank to the pandemic. So you know, don't forget that (Yes I know that's a broad brush there will be exemptions, just saying)

Obviously the Sens will be on their backside more than they already were but uh, either the money is there, or it never was to begin with imo, forget the pandemic.

But yeah, can file all that under ''we'll probably never know'' so oh well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad