Hard Caps prevent dynasties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
No more then any other team and a lot less then some ..

Really, what teams? Are you sure that you just might be going by hype and not actual on field performance? The Pats have star power and depth.

I dont think that they get the credit they deserve because of how reserved and unselfish they are. Make no mistake though, guys like Bruschi, Branch, Eugene Wilson are all star players, you (and many others) probably just dont recognize it yet.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
GregStack said:
Best QB in th eleague right now and good chance at being the best ever? That's one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my life.

Tom Brady has 3 Super Bowls under his belt before he turned 28. 2 SuperBowl MVPs. He has not lost a playoff game.

He can make big plays, he can be a great game manager. He wins. Who is better? Manning? McNabb? Sorry, but for some reason you dont want to give Brady the credit he deserves. Until someone accomplishes what he has then they arent in his class.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
PecaFan said:
Yes, yet another. Not following along? The Patriots, Eagles, Lakers, Spurs , Cowboys, 49'ers, etc, all cited examples in this thread of sustained excellence under caps.

Apparently you're the one not following along. Are you still on the NBA teams? That was already addressed. The NBA is nothing like the capped NHL will be. Get that through your head.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
PepNCheese said:
Apparently you're the one not following along. Are you still on the NBA teams? That was already addressed. The NBA is nothing like the capped NHL will be. Get that through your head.

While there are plenty of capped leagues, there are not a lot of capped leagues with drafts. I found this one while trolling around for info on caps in other countries

Australian Rules Football = capped league with a draft.

Brisbane Lions: Won 3 straight (2001-2003), lost final of 2004, still a force in 2005.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
GregStack said:
Best QB in th eleague right now and good chance at being the best ever? That's one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my life.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=1406

As a Pats fan, I'm biased. But the statistics don't lie.

And a comment about a quarterback is one of the most disgusting things you have ever heard in your entire life?

Wow. Talk about a sheltered existence. I'll let someone else fill you in on the fate of Bambi's mother.
:sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I dont think this is entirely accurate.

Under a cap system I would imagine that the amount of money that Franchise players make will drop somewhat and the same for all other types of players. Especially since the clubs will retain the players rights untill they are 30. Since GM's know exactly what they are allowed to pay out they will really be tryign to make sure they can pack as much talent into the roster as possible without going over the salary limite and possibly leaving room in the budget so they can make trades or recall players incase of injury. If DW has a 30mil payrole to work with maybe he will leave 15mil to be split up between his 3 better players? The going rate for franchise players might not be around $5mil under a new economic system. That might make it possible for teams to keep there better players.

I dont think Calgary is gonna be handing Iginla more than $6mil when the NHL starts back up under a cap system. Otherwise they will always be a 1 player team.
i dont agree. i think maybe there are some drops in salary, but the top guys are going to make as much as the always have - and it will create situations like the iginla one. they will have to make a choice - because someone will have cap space and offer him the money. there isnt a limit on how much you can pay one guy really, its do you have enough cap space for him. i think it wiull take a few years for everything to even out and for parity to exist - then teams will figure out how much they can pay their stars and still keep enough money for the rest of the team. till then, young teams with cap space can go crazy signing superstars to whatever they want as long as they have room. i think it will be ugly the first couple of years.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
bleedgreen said:
i think it will be ugly the first couple of years.
Much like the NFL was until the Eagles and Pats came along in the last approx. 5 years and showed teams how it's done. Actually, you could probably add Pittsburgh in there as well, since they've been generally very good over that same time span, and done it mostly through good drafting on the defensive side.

You have to keep in mind that it takes time for GMs and such to adjust to working under a cap. In the beginning, teams like Dallas and the 49ers tried to keep aging teams together, and it cost them dearly. Teams like the Ravens tried to keep it going, and they had to do some rebuilding as well. Now you see the number of good or impact players that have to be cut every year declining. GMs are finally learning and adjusting to the cap. This indicates to me that when the NHL resumes play, the teams that have been good or bought lots of players and rely on aging players may not be consistently good for the first few years. Eventually, teams will learn to properly manage their caps, and we'll see teams be able to sustain periods of excellence. And the draft will become even more important, as will player development.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
So hopefully current GM's arent to egotistical and try and learn from what the NFL has done, to a certain extent of course.

Possibly small market teams who have been workign under tight budgets already might have an upper hand on big markter teams who's budgets are much more flexible. But like was said this might just be for a few years until everyone catches on to the same sort of concepts or come up with new ones that work aswell.

I guess everything is gonna be hypothetical or whatever until it happens b/c its really hard to say how GM's are gonna try and build there winners. I imagine ther could be a number of different ways to do it. GM's are definatly gonna have to improve there long term planning and this might also make the runover of coaches and GM's less frequent b/c owners will realise things are much more planned then they were before. No more 3 year plans, possibly.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The trick in the NFL is to know when to let someone go, especially someone who has starred for you, and who to keep. My Steelers have been very very good about that, letting go a slew of All Pro calibre players year after year, just when they needed to, and had replacements ready and waiting, which is why they compete more years than not. Use the draft very well, tougher in the NHL as you draft these kids 3 or 4 years younger than the NFL does, which makes not only choosing more a crap shoot, but also makes it a while before you even see them on the ice if they do pan out. Finally, you need to know when to make your run . . . spend that extra to go for it that year or two. If it means that you languish a few years after paying for it, if you are Dallas for instance or SF, well, what is this about but winning it all? They did the right thing and won it all, for that small window. Paid for it later but it was worth it.

One other factor, some teams under any of the Cap proposal will still be able to outspend the other teams by factors of at least 50%, and under some Cap proposals as much as double or more. Not everyone is going to spend $42 million, most will not. So there still will be advantages and some room for mistakes on some teams, not on others, just not as great as it had been in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad