Happy with your draft so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
I know it is early but what are your impressions of your teams draft so far. My guess is that the same ughh feeling they had after the constant trading down is still there. I am a little more hopeful on Grossman and Fransson while not scoring in the SEL seems to be a keeper but the criticized picks of Fistric(injury), Lammers and Swaba look to bad picks especially at where they were taken. Also no late rounders appear to have shown much and not taking a goalie looks bad given the poor year by vitrually every stars prospect goalie. Grade C thanks to the swedish d-men otherwise F

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Starsdude said:
I know it is early but what are your impressions of your teams draft so far. My guess is that the same ughh feeling they had after the constant trading down is still there. I am a little more hopeful on Grossman and Fransson while not scoring in the SEL seems to be a keeper but the criticized picks of Fistric(injury), Lammers and Swaba look to bad picks especially at where they were taken. Also no late rounders appear to have shown much and not taking a goalie looks bad given the poor year by vitrually every stars prospect goalie. Grade C thanks to the swedish d-men otherwise F

Your talking about the 2004 draft right?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Marshall said:
I'm pretty happy with the Caps' draft.

I would imagine so.

I'd give the Oilers draft a B+ at the moment. I'm not sold on Dubnyk at all, but am extremely pleased with Schremp, and Tesliuk. I don't think that those three are a bad haul with a fist pick at position 15 in a weak draft.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm very happy with the sens draft, Mezsaros, Lyamin, Wick, Regin, Glass, Weller, etc... some of our lower round guys are producing more than expected too.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I'd say few teams had a great draft. Obviously the Caps had great draft and not just because of Ovechkin. Lepisito was great pick. I think the panthers had a reasonable draft. Olesz is underrated and will suprise people. Suprised when he was still left at #7. Shantz was good pick who could add some depth to our goaltending and will oneday be backup to Luongo (if Luongo is still there.) Dont know much about booth other than he's a power foward. Not great picks down the stretch and i doubt any bar Shantz and Olesz will ever play in the Nhl. LA got lucky when Tukonen was left at #11. He could be great.

Last edited:

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
Pretty happy with the Rangers draft. Montoya is winning like crazy, Korpikowski is getting solid reviews as an 18-year-old in a league of grown men, Graham is scoring better than anyone ever thought he would, and Petrazulek, Callahan, and Paiment have made favorable early impressions.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota took a lot of high risk, high reward players, and players that need filling out. I like their draft though but I am wondering why they took Khudobin instead of another goaltender.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Flames add some nice players to their lacking depth pool. Sutter addressed this by trading down in the draft to draft players.

Boyd is doing very well and scoring and a few others are really turning it up. As a whole, the Flames have quite a few guys scoring nicely this year.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Considering the Wings didn't pick until the 3rd round, i'm damn happy.

They got a player that would be their 3rd line center in Franzen, and nabbed McGrath in the 4th round. McGrath is producing at about the same pace as O'Sullivan and Schremp at the OHL level. Also, Anton Axelsson is doing very well in the J20 league in sweden.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Leafs scouting staff has improved and I like the selections of Earl and Vorobiev. Earl has been dominant at the NCAA level this year, while Vorobiev is progressing nicely. Also to a lesser extent, Pogge who was our first pick (in the 3rd round) this year seems to be developing as expected.

I'd say we did reasonably well considering our lack of high picks.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
As it looks now i am happy with the Bruins Draft. Krejci, Karsums, Versteeg, Walter, and Hunwick are all having good to great offensive years. Rome i haven't heard much about this year. It's anybodys guess whether Hedman amounts to anything.

Almost all of the Bruins picks this year fall into the category of guys you will put up points in Juniors/College. But either are missing the size or speed to compete at the next level. We'll just have to wait and find out.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
I am a lot happier with the Canucks picks last year than I have been in years. Schneider is doing well in Boston and getting way more starts than I could have hoped for. Edler has been one of the top offensive dmen in the Swedish Junior League. Mike Brown was named to the US WJC squad. Julien Ellis is one of the best goalies in the Q. David Schulz is playing a bit more physically at least...I'll always take a chance on a big dman who can move the puck. Finally, Jannik Hansen is putting up points, albeit for the Rødovre Mighty Bulls.

I don't give a crap about Sarauer.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Disappointed with Sabres draft.

Didn't like Stafford in the 1st, especially as Thelen and Tukonen had just gone immediately before us, Meszaros was still there, AND if you believe the rumours, the Oilers were prepared to give us their 2nd rounder to swap 1sts so they could get Stafford!

Don't like Funk in the 2nd, nobody seemed to like him at the time, and he's done f..kall since. Suprising choice and waste of a pick IMO. If I remember, Lyamin, Lepisto, and some other good D-men were still on the board.

Sekera in the 3rd looks like a decent pick, don't think he is doing as well as expected in the CHL though.

Valent in the 5th looks like a solid pick for where it was, as does Dylan Hunter in the 9th. Nothing else though. Could have been a lot better.

X-SHARKIE

I loved and probally even love the 2003 draft even more now :) Sharks added Michalek, Bernier, Hennessy, Carle, Ehelechner, Pavelski all in one draft. Now for 2004.

Sharks traded away are 2nd round picks, so obviosly they didn't like what was there in that round, We took Lukas Kaspar who personally I have no complaints with, if it wasn't for the fact that both Schremp and Meszaros were still on the board. He might come back to hurt us that two potential elite prospects were taken in the next 3 picks. Kaspar has huge upside, but must work on cosistancy...but when he plays hard he looks like a top 10 talent.

3rd round pick Thomas Greiss, I never seen and numbers are sub-par. Mid round picks seem to be classic Shark steals...Sharks do a great job of grabbing talent from out east and letting them grow in the NCAA. Forwards Torey Mitchell and Steven Zalewski look like very good players.

I think the best pick of the draft was 4th round pick Goaltender Jason Churchill. He's a big guy whose really coming around very nicely. Looks like a steal.

Michael Vernace in the 7 round is one of the top scoring defenseman in the OHL as well :)

Overall a solid draft at the moment, just not as great as 2003.

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
Nope.

Could have had Robbie Schremp, but no...

I'm pretty happy on Dustin Boyd, though.

Last edited:

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
oil slick said:
I would imagine so.

I'd give the Oilers draft a B+ at the moment. I'm not sold on Dubnyk at all, but am extremely pleased with Schremp, and Tesliuk. I don't think that those three are a bad haul with a fist pick at position 15 in a weak draft.

Which part of Dubnyk's game are you not happy with?

22 GP 628 shots 2 SO 2.48 GAA 0.916 SV% 6-14-2 WLT

The kid is a workhorse playing almost as many games as Schwarz, he faces a blizzard of rubber every night for a bad Kamloops team, and is putting up darn respectable numbers. He had a couple rough starts at the beginning of the year – but the kid has been very solid throughout all of October and November. Absolutely nothing to be unhappy about here and Shremp's play is just pure gravy.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
The Old Master said:
the pens did well

I'm very happy with the Pens draft, so long as Malkin comes to NA. I think in the long run he'll be a top 5-10 talent in the league.

I'm thrilled with getting Salmonsson later that I thought he would go, we may never see him, or he could also be a star player, just the type of high risk prospect the team can use right now.

Hearing so many great things about Goligolski after shaking my head and asking "who are you?" on draft day.

I'd think these three could turn out to make this draft one to remember for Pens fans.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Zoo said:
I still wish the pens would have taken Wez O'Neil.

There are always so many possibilities. I remember watching Schremp fall on draft day and screaming for CP to put give a package to move up and grab him.

But in all honestly, other than that I had my fingers crossed for Salmonsson to fall to the Pens, so I'm happy.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Boyd is doing very well and scoring and a few others are really turning it up. As a whole, the Flames have quite a few guys scoring nicely this year.

I like how Boyd is doing as well. If he keeps it up, we got a damn good prospect on our hands.

Prust isn't looking so good however (at least his stats don't). But his role on the Knights isn't to score so we might still have the agitator/hustler Sutter envisioned.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Very happy with Detroit's 2 picks. Considering they had no 1st or 2nd rounders too.

Franzen may come to play in the NHL next year (if there is a next year). He projects to be a depth player 3rd or 4th liner. But hey he's big and agile and young. Not many Red Wings can say they are all three. Kind of surprised he was taken that early by Detroit and I kind of questioned it but it looks like an ok pick.

Evan Mcgrath is a great pick. Don't know how he fell to the 4th round. Was pissed off when Detroit passed over him in the 3rd round, but luckily he was still around when the 4th round came. I've heard nothing but great things from him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->