Salary Cap: Happy with Leaf contracts thus far?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Lupul and Grabo are both overpaid. I dont think either would have gotten better deals in free agent frenzy where the worst deals get handed out.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Not a huge fan of Grabo's contract, term is fine just too much dollars.

I think for the building blocks of your team you need those longer term deals. 8 is a little much, but at least 5 maybe 6 years for Kessel and Phaneuf, depending on what they want money wise

Agreed with this, the contract is worth about 5 million more then it should be (4.5 a year). And that may come to bite us in the end.

But in reality if he can get back to being the 55 point center that he was (and maybe that happens if we give him new linemates, like Perry) that contract will look a lot better.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
Getzlaf is getting Mats Sundin money for the next 8 years. Did we regret paying Mats Sundin all those millions of dollars? Not for a second.

No cap back then... And when Mats Sundin was playing by himself for the most part how did that turn out for his Stanley cup runs?

Getzlaf will be playing for a large part of that contract by himself because he's on a small market team.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Yes I'm happy we avoided long contracts but long contracts are not the problem. Have people forgotten how bad contracts hurt the leafs (lombardi, connolly, liles, komisarek, lebda). The money is not the only problem. These type of players taking up a roster spot keeps the kids in the AHL (gardiner, kadri last year, frattin etc).

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Getzlaf is getting Mats Sundin money for the next 8 years. Did we regret paying Mats Sundin all those millions of dollars? Not for a second.
What? I like Getzlaf, but when was he Mats Sundin? I don't even think Malkin or Lecavalier - despite having similar reach - rival Sundin.

You should've seen him when he was with the Nordiques. The 96-97 season also proved that Sundin was a boss. Scoring fell, but he was right behind Gretzky, Jagr and Leclair. That's a lot on money being committed to Getzlaf.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
What? I like Getzlaf, but when was he Mats Sundin? I don't even think Malkin or Lecavalier - despite having similar reach - rival Sundin.

You should've seen him when he was with the Nordiques. The 96-97 season also proved that Sundin was a boss. Scoring fell, but he was right behind Gretzky, Jagr and Leclair. That's a lot on money being committed to Getzlaf.

You guys are mind boggling. The Toronto Maple Leafs have sitting in the press box $8.375 MILLION in cap space. SITTING IN THE PRESS BOX. And you're telling me $8.2m is too much money for a former 90 point, 6'4" power forward, Stanley Cup winning centerman? :laugh:

I mean honestly. You guys constantly argue that Grabovski is market value at $5.5m. If that is true, I don't know you can conceive argument to suggest Ryan Getzlaf is overpaid. No ****ing way.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Well he led that team in playoff scoring so you tell me how important he was.
He was given sheltered minutes, though. That team was ridiculously stacked. Even though he was leading, you still had to view Andy's line as the main threat. If Getzlaf line was the primary line, the Ducks would've destroyed the opposition.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You guys are mind boggling. The Toronto Maple Leafs have sitting in the press box $8.375 MILLION in cap space. SITTING IN THE PRESS BOX. And you're telling me $8.2m is too much money for a former 90 point, 6'4" power forward, Stanley Cup winning centerman? :laugh:

I mean honestly. You guys constantly argue that Grabovski is market value at $5.5m. If that is true, I don't know you can conceive argument to suggest Ryan Getzlaf is overpaid. No ****ing way.
You do know that Crosby has a cap of $8.7 million? I am just saying that it's a pretty huge cap hit. If anything, Penguins just got Crosby at a huge bargain. I envy them.

As for Grabovski, his cap if $5.5 million not $8.4 million. We're talking about one guy here, not two. He is totally worth the money, because he can be used very effectively against top opposition lines. People find it hard to appreciate him due to his small stature.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
You could argue Ryan Getzlaf is better than Mats Sundin.

Stanley Cup? Check.

lol.

"You could argue Getzlaf is better than a first ballet HHOF'er"

If he can scorer 417 more goals, get 431 more assists for 848 more points over the next 811 games of his career.

Have 13 more 30+ goal seasons, 3 more 40+ goal seasons.

Add 3 more Gold's and 5 more metal's in the World Championships. Winning one WC MVP.

Have 7 more ASG appearances.

Enter the HHOF.

Then okay we have a discussion of Getzlaf vs Sundin.

But even then people will look at playing with Perry + Ryan vs playing with Hoglund + Renberg.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Garbo on his best day is worth 5.5. Too bad his best days are few and far between.
Lupul contract is only worth it if he puts up 65 points a year.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Lupuls contract is easily the worst on active roster.

There are times when I think that is true.

But he hasn't really been given a fair shake yet, he could possibly play top level uninjured offense for the next 4.5 years and it would be money well spent.

His injury was awful timing, but injuries happen. Let Lupul prove on the ice whether that money was well spent or not.

Can't wait to have him back though :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad