Salary Cap: Happy with Leaf contracts thus far?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
While Im not a complete wiz at the financial aspect of hockey, I do feel that teams seem glad to willfully hamstring themselves these days with long contracts, oftentimes at unreal amounts of money.

Getzlaf just signed for 8 years, and as Rob Ray said today, the Ducks "might regret that down the road".

The leafs only have 4 contracts going beyond 2 more seasons after this, JvR Lupul Grabo and Liles (no comment on Liles really)

Are you happy that the Leafs have managed to stay away from these deals up until now?
Do you think its just a product of lack of elite talent?
Do you expect this might change in the organization?

SteveV*

Have to give Burke credit for avoiding long term deals, he's overpaid a few guys but the term hasn't made bad decisions horrific ones.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Not a huge fan of Grabo's contract, term is fine just too much dollars.

I think for the building blocks of your team you need those longer term deals. 8 is a little much, but at least 5 maybe 6 years for Kessel and Phaneuf, depending on what they want money wise

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Getzlaf is getting Mats Sundin money for the next 8 years. Did we regret paying Mats Sundin all those millions of dollars? Not for a second.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Getzlaf is getting Mats Sundin money for the next 8 years. Did we regret paying Mats Sundin all those millions of dollars? Not for a second.

Most of those years were without the salary cap.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Most of those years were without the salary cap.

The last year Sundin played in the NHL he had a $8.2m caphit. At the end of Getzlaf's 8 years, he'll still be younger than Mats Sundin was when he played his final year. Genuine first line centers are a rare breed. You don't shortchange them.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
This makes me feel better about the Lupul deal, which I did not think was all that bad.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not a fan of Grabo's. Obviously Komisarek's, but that is almost done. Lupul worries me. Not only him proving to stay healthy and play well, but if we need to trade Kessel, what if Lupul really regresses? It could be a burden down the road.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You could argue Ryan Getzlaf is better than Mats Sundin.

Stanley Cup? Check.

Wow :laugh:

If you think Getzlaf is better than Sundin...

Go make a poll on HFBoards, even if the they hate the Leafs...they aren't that blind to say Getzlaf was better than Sundin :biglaugh:

The guy had the majority of his goals in the dead puck era AND he never had 19 goals and 57 points before his big payday.

"Stanley Cup? Check?"

Oh yeah, that Brett Lebda guy was definitely better than Sundin. Cup trumps all.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Well, adjusted for inflation, that Getzlaf deal is fine.

And no way in freakin hell is Getzlaf better than Sundin.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Wow :laugh:

If you think Getzlaf is better than Sundin...

Go make a poll on HFBoards, even if the they hate the Leafs...they aren't that blind to say Getzlaf was better than Sundin :biglaugh:

The guy had the majority of his goals in the dead puck era AND he never had 19 goals and 57 points before his big payday.

It doesn't matter who is better. The difference between the two is so negligible. They both play the same role for their team. And they both do it at very high levels.

"Stanley Cup? Check?"

Oh yeah, that Brett Lebda guy was definitely better than Sundin. Cup trumps all.

When Lebda plays first line center for his team of choice, then you can make that outrageous claim. :shakehead

Leafs For Life*

When Lebda plays first line center for his team of choice, then you can make that outrageous claim. :shakehead

When you give another reason than a cup, playing 3rd line, with 2 HHOFers on the backend, then you can make your outrageous claim. :shakehead

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It doesn't matter who is better. The difference between the two is so negligible. They both play the same role for their team. And they both do it at very high levels.

No they don't

I think you're forgetting that Getzlaf wasn't even close to being important when they won the Cup.

Andy MacDonald was their first line center and faced the toughest competition.

If the Leafs had Pronger and Niedermayer to go with Sundin, we would have won the Cup once maybe even twice.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
No they don't

I think you're forgetting that Getzlaf wasn't even close to being important when they won the Cup.

If the Leafs had Pronger and Niedermayer to go with Sundin, we would have won the Cup once maybe even twice.

To be fair, I think everyone on a team that wins the cup plays a pretty important role. Its hard to say otherwise when you think about it.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
No they don't

If the leafs had Pronger+Nieds, we would have won the cup several times in the Sundin era

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Back to my original point, genuine first line centers deserve to get paid. Sundin is proof of that. And no doubt in my mind Anaheim fans will feel the same way about Ryan Getzlaf.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
No they don't

Well he led that team in playoff scoring so you tell me how important he was.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Back to my original point, genuine first line centers deserve to get paid. Sundin is proof of that. And no doubt in my mind Anaheim fans will feel the same way about Ryan Getzlaf.
How much will the Leafs overpay their fake 1st line center? That concerns me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->