Happy Thanksgiving! - The Crow-Eating Thread

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Let's hear it, what crow are you eating this Thanksgiving?

Myself:

- I was wrong about Kassian ... I think, as long as he doesn't drop pass on breakaways again

- I was wrong about Nurse ... guy looks damn good and he finally has a capable D-partner that suits his game

- I was wrong about Koskinen ... I thought he'd be terrible but he hasn't been bad at all

- I was wrong about Playfair ... if he's the one who decided on the D-pairings

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
None that I can really think of because I've learned to keep my mouth shut and expectations up in the air when it comes to this team.

Maybe Smith, because I've never been a fan of his "antics" and it's early, but so far he seems pretty focused and that's good.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m wrong so far about our goaltending. I thought it would be much worse than it has been as well.

Also Sam Gagner. I thought he played decent last year and could be a versatile player in the top 9 and some PP.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I was wrong about Nurse , I thought he was finish developing as a player . He has take 2 giant leaps forward

I was wrong on Neal . I thought he was an upgrade on Lucic but 7 goals in 5 games .

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Somehow I knew this year was going to be our year. I believed in the boys and it's so special to finally see this team dominating the league again. I know playoffs are still a ways away and I don't want to get ahead of things but I don't see any way this club doesn't make the finals based on how they are playing right now.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Somehow I knew this year was going to be our year. I believed in the boys and it's so special to finally see this team dominating the league again. I know playoffs are still a ways away and I don't want to get ahead of things but I don't see any way this club doesn't make the finals based on how they are playing right now.
You’re lost mate. I’m glad no one bites lol.

Regarding crow, I don’t have any because I don’t jump the gun over a few games.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I had a double helping of crow with a side order of shoes last year for wanting Chia to have another year. My God I still taste those black feathers and rotten soles.

I’ll have only a side order of crow this Thanksgiving for not liking the bottom 6 very much and having PTSD trepidation’s over the seasons start.

I am going to be preparing a large crow for Skip The Dishes to take to Calgary for Christmas as I am pretty sure the Lucic Love Affair will slowly give way to reality by then.

Reactions: Cloned and Aerrol

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Too early to be eating crow. If they’re still strong by American Thanksgiving, I will start believing.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Even though McDavid is off his game. I am eating crow because I knew he would be off his game and yet he is still producing at McDavid levels. What in the hell?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The only real crow to eat 6% into the season is thinking that having hard opinions on the NHL (especially in October and April) is a smart thing. The Canadiens opened the 15-16 season 9-0-0 and finished that year with 82 points. The Blues won the Cup after being in 31st place on January 2nd. The Avalanche had the worst season in modern history in 2017 and, with minimal roster change, made the playoffs with 95 points in 2018.

The best way to be is to consider that almost any team in the NHL is good enough and bad enough to surge into the playoffs or fall into the lottery based on nothing but luck and momentum. The Oilers opening the season this well has opened a big door for them now and in the future. It could go some other ways, but IMO, everyone should just enjoy the ride for now.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Frig WOOOO!!!

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'll eat some crow for a few reasons.

First off I wasn't too sure if Holland was the man. He had signed up some stinker contracts in Detroit and worried the same was going to continue here. I didn't have any suggestions who they should hire either. With the organizations track record lately I was nervous with anyone being brought in.

I'll also happily eat crow with the Lucic trade. My feelings weren't that Neal was going to be bad, I thought it would be a upgrade, just didn't like sending Lucic down the road to our rivals. Not only has it worked out really well, it's worked out even better than expected. Holland should be charged with highway robbery and could be accused of sabotage.

Pure genius Ken, pure genius!

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Favourite poster on HF :laugh:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Jesus Murphy enough with these threads it’s ****ing 5 games in!

You’re right of course, but for my crow, I thought Tippett would be “more of the same” but it’s clear that his systems suit this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Way too early for this thread. :nod:

Things look much better (in many different areas of their game) but there is a long ways to go...we need to see how things look around Christmas before we start having discussions about eating crow.

Reactions: Aerchon

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's still early in the year, but when we signed smith, I was 100% against it and was pretty vocal about my dislike for him. I never hated a goalie the way I hated smith ever since his coyotes days.

5 games into the season and I love the guy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Happy Thanksgiving HFOil.

I’m thankful we have good hockey back so far, we deserve it.

Reactions: Cloned

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Mainly had my doubts about goaltending. Still kinda scared, but all good so far!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I liked Bennett over Drai in their draft years. I'll go puke now

Happy Thanksgiving HfOil
Same, albeit I was basing that solely off highlights and scouting reports. The thought of those two being switched makes me feel physically ill.

The real reason I'm here though is to eat some nice Bear with my Crow dinner. I thought his skating was going to make it so so hard for him to translate to the NHL, but man did he put in the work and prove me wrong. He looks awesome out there and I couldn't be happier. I liked him as a prospect in Seattle, but I didn't buy into the hype of his crazy numbers down there because of his skating. I don't know what his ceiling is offensively, but I think we're going to see his offence grow as the season goes to go along with his awesome defensive play and puck moving.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I have barely posted during the offseason but if I was more active I would have shared a pessimistic outlook. It's obviously still too early but the results so far mean lots of crow on my plate.

- Was okay with the Tippett hire but it felt like a stopgap. I was wrong. It's great seeing the team attacking and defending as a unit. It's awesome when 5 guys contribute on a scoring play. I can watch this brand of hockey for a long time

- I was on the fence about Holland but warmed up to him after the hire and hearing more from/about him. The way the Oilers brass have talked about having a "plan" over the years rendered the term useless to me. But Holland has actually demonstrated he can identify problems and find (some) answers. I can't wait to see the moves he makes next offseason with some capspace to work with. So I tried not to be too disappointed about our transactions this year. I liked the Neal/Lucic trade but that was basically it. I knew I wasn't going to watch this team if Gagner and Cave were regulars, and I felt like we didn't have the depth to replace them. I was wrong. I'm now a fan of Haas/Nygaard but I need more European showtime from them. Offense in the bottom 6 would be nice for once, but as long as they don't leak goals against, it's already an upgrade and we're seeing that have an effect on the PK too

- I was a fan of Bear and Persson but I didn't think they would make an impact in the top 4. I also thought only one of them would make the team. I was wrong. Persson already looks at home with Klefbom and has outplayed Larsson already. I got the impression he was soft before seeing him play but he has made a few solid hits. I'm impressed with his offensive flair, he actually holds on to the puck to make a play. Such a rarity with our D.
Bear has impressed the heck out of me. I am a bit more critical about our players than most (I think it was the game against the Kings where I thought he was mediocre when others sang his praise) but the last two games he was rock solid. He is already my favorite player to watch back there. Wins a lot of puck battles for a rookie, neutralizes the forecheck, makes a lot of deft little passes, walks the blue line, stretch passes with ease, fires pucks at the net without assassinating shinpads. He only has 1 assist but he's made a much bigger impact than the stats show
I thought our D would be trash this season. I was wrong. We have the early makings of a solid d here and it's exciting to see it slowly transition into a team strength over the next 2-3 years esp when our depth knocks out Russell and Benning

- Smith I ridiculed during his time with Calgary. He's solid and improving each game. Koskinen still makes me nervous but he's improved. I'm still not sold on our goaltending and won't be until we reconvene again at the 20-30 game mark

- I felt we had a 0% chance of making the playoffs. I was going to watch half the games this year at most. I was wrong. So far I've watched every game. I truly feel like we have a chance at making the playoffs now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->