Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-buf-tor.jpg

Game Day: Sabres at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
Game Day: Sabres at Maple Leafs

BUFFALO SABRES (30-26-8) at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (39-21-4)
Saturday, 7 p.m., Scotiabank Arena
TV: CBC, Sportsnet One; Radio: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
D Rasmus Ristolainen vs. C John Tavares

It’s a long way from Long Island, where Tavares endured the toughest two hours of his NHL life on Thursday. Back in friendly — and much more quiet — SBA, he should be re-charged in pursuit of a 40-goal season. Ristolainen, the biggest and busiest of the Sabres defence at almost 25 minutes a game, will have something to say about that.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
You again?
The Leafs face the Sabres for the second time in a week. On Monday, loosening up at the passing of the trade deadline that afternoon, the Leafs struck four times in the second period in a 5-3 win. John Tavares got the ball rolling while Kasperi Kapanen burned Buffalo’s power play for a short-handed goal. Three wins this year over their geo-nemesis in one season would be quite a feat.
Start me up
So the Leafs give up the first goal in a bunch of home games, get flak for their poor starts, but still win. Yet they go into Nassau Coliseum on Thursday, shut the crowd up for a few minutes with the first goal and then get pummelled. The more important stat is their perfect mark of 30-0-0 when leading after two periods.
Dull knives
This is a tough weekend for Buffalo, which followed up the first loss to the Leafs with a 5-2 loss to the Flyers, had to play Pittsburgh Friday night at home, and then head here. The Sabres, in need of dramatic late-season run to get in the wildcard race, will have newcomer Brandon Montour beefing up their defence and a healthy Casey Mittelstadt up front, who missed Monday’s meeting.
Wizard of Oz
With Jake Gardiner and Travis Dermott out of the Leaf blueline picture a few weeks, the club will be relying more on first-year defender Igor Ozhiganov. He sat a while when Jake Muzzin was acquired, but if he wants to restore his regular role of earlier this season, it should start with a good performance in this game.
Fred-Ex on time
While backup Garret Sparks was tossed to the wolves on Long Island, Frederik Andersen goes for his 31st win of the season and his fourth straight at SBA. His record against the Sabres is 9-3-0 in three seasons, when many Leafs brethren were hard-pressed to win a couple.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman John Tavares Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson Auston Matthews Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau William Nylander Connor Brown
Tyler Ennis Frederik Gauthier Trevor Moore
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Muzzin Nikita Zaitsev
Igor Ozhiganov M. Marincin/J. Holl
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
SABRES GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Jeff Skinner Jack Eichel Sam Reinhart
Conor Sheary Evan Rodrigues Kyle Okposo
Scott Wilson Casey Mittelstadt Tage Thompson
Zemgus Girgensons Johan Larsson Jason Pominville
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Jake McCabe Rasmus Ristolainen
Rasmus Dahlin Zach Bogosian
Matt Hunwick Brandon Montour
GOALIES
Carter Hutton
Linus Ullmark
SICK BAY
Toronto: D Jake Gardiner (back), D Travis Dermott (shoulder), C Nazem Kadri (concussion)
Buffalo: D Marco Scandella (lower body), C Vladimir Sobotka (upper body)
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 22.6% (7th)
Buffalo 18.8% (18th)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 80.1% (16th)
Buffalo 83.0% (5th)

auston-matthews-is-a-god.jpg

Saturday NHL game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs
By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Fri., March 1, 2019
Saturday NHL game preview: Buffalo Sabres at Toronto Maple Leafs | The Star
SCOTIABANK ARENA
TIME:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC, Sportsnet
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Eichel/Matthews
Two close friends and rivals face off for the second time in week. Jack Eichel scored twice against Toronto on Monday in Buffalo’s losing effort, giving him 10 in 11 games against the Leafs since he broke into the league. Auston Matthews scored once on Monday and has five points in his last five games.
NEED TO KNOW
You might be interested in
The Sabres will be playing on back-to-back nights after hosting Pittsburgh on Friday ... Injuries are taking a toll on the Sabres with goalie Carter Hutton, forward Vladimir Sobotka and defenceman Marco Scandella nursing undisclosed ailments ... Buffalo defenceman Rasmus Dahlin has 37 points, second among rookies. ... The Sabres’ power play was rated 18th (18.8 per cent) through Thursday’s games, with the penalty kill fifth (83.0 per cent).
UP NEXT
Monday at Calgary, 9 p.m.

Thanks Cor .....I might add that it's CBC/SN1

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Boy do I love when the Leafs play the Sabres. It's an entertaining game, and I just love watching Matthews smash Eichel.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Please win, Boston has a 3 point lead with equal games played. We can't afford to lose anymore.

Boston schedule
2v1822.jpg

Leafs schedule
2v183m.jpg

Leafs have a tougher schedule IMO than Bruins; Leafs cannot afford to lose games against teams that are out of playoff spot. Leafs has crapped the bed against teams they should have beaten and lost important points while Boston won those games.

Home ice is very important given how babcock likes to play match ups; he would at least be able to control match ups at home as he gets more games at home.

Show up ffs and start winning. I don't want to hear any excuses anymore. All the dumbass posts of

• "ohh it was back to back"
  • "ohh look at the injuries"
  • "ohh look nylander looks so good with zone entries; doesn't matter he is not putting up points"
  • "ohh look at Matthews so strong on the puck, corsi was good but no points"
  • "ohh look Sparks is better, Dubas is a genius blah blah blah"
None of that matters. WINS matter. Get the freakin' WINS. I don't care how the WINS come. One goal games or we shell opposition; or we play boring hockey ---- I DON'T CARE ------- GET THE WINS

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Kinda not excited to be honest. We know we can beat Buffalo.

These are not statement games, not something you can rally against

Still very down from Thursday's game.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit

This is one heck of a story and for anyone having lost a parent at an early age, it may bring a tear to your eye.
It happened last time we played the Habs, at Scotia Bank Arena on Feb 23rd.

Wait why is he wearing a home jersey then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->