OT - NO POLITICS HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I just called to check on my grandparents with the snow (they got 15 in) and they are out shoveling their driveway! My 23 year old cousin lives in the guesthouse at the end of said driveway but my grandparents are shoveling???? Are you kidding me??? My grandpa broke his hip last winter. I'm ready to call someone and raise hell!
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh boy. You have to call and read that dude the riot act. That's just not acceptable.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So if you live in New England (or Canada) chances are that you will get snow and an occasional blizzard.

If you are THAT upset it snowed move.

When we have an ice storm it worries me more .

There are things going on that are far more concerning to me than a little snow. (we got a foot).

Reactions: GabeTravels

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So if you live in New England (or Canada) chances are that you will get snow and an occasional blizzard.

If you are THAT upset it snowed move.

When we have an ice storm it worries me more .

There are things going on that are far more concerning to me than a little snow. (we got a foot).
either that or don't build/live near a lake, as you've seen from shots from Erie and around Buffalo

Reactions: Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Help me settle a debate please

Large city supplied trash barrels. Wheels and a lid. The hinge is on the same side as the handle, which has a single axle on the bottom to move it around. Big honkin barrels.

When you bring the barrels back in, if you had to place them against the side of a porch/house, do you push them in so the wheels/handle/hinge face out, or do you pull them in so the wheels/handle/hinge are against the house?

I have VERY strong feelings on this but won't provide just yet

Also, I know the "correct" answer is, "Whichever way SHE wants the barrels put back." That's not what I'm looking for here

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Large city supplied trash barrels. Wheels and a lid. The hinge is on the same side as the handle, which has a single axle on the bottom to move it around. Big honkin barrels.

When you bring the barrels back in, if you had to place them against the side of a porch/house, do you push them in so the wheels/handle/hinge face out, or do you pull them in so the wheels/handle/hinge are against the house?

Also, I know the "correct" answer is, "Whichever way SHE wants the barrels put back." That's not what I'm looking for here

Handle out, that way you don't have to turn the barrel around before pulling it to the curb.

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight as I have a dumpster.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Handle out, that way you don't have to turn the barrel around before pulling it to the curb.

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight as I have a dumpster.

lol amen Bets, I also keep a dumpster back at home. It's emptied the first Friday each month. My father lives on the first floor and I'm on unit 2. He's got a physical hcap and I'm rarely home when the barrels would have to go out, not to mention our town forces 1 set of barrels per unit, aka double the cost. The dumpster is super easy, nobody has to put the trash out, and we save a few bucks.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

HA! You definitely put it so the wheels are facing out to make it easier. My wife puts it back however, and it's a pain in the ass.

I definitely don't say anything to her though because it's a battle that's just not worth it to me.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
We've had a pretty good winter here in MN...20s, only a couple storms (and we never get as much snow as back east anyways).

But we're gonna have high temperatures below zero starting this weekend. Still not too bad, lows about -15 (God, I've lived here for too long, hahaha) and it only lasts about a week.

Some BIG news! My wife's green card interview FINALLY got scheduled! We have been waiting for this since April of last year. About another month to go. And she's all booked coming home next week...can't wait to see her!

Also! My sister's amazing baking continues to impress. She made Settlers of Catan cookies for a friend's birthday, and they're too good not to share:

Settlers.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
HA! You definitely put it so the wheels are facing out to make it easier. My wife puts it back however, and it's a pain in the ass.

I definitely don't say anything to her though because it's a battle that's just not worth it to me.

Oh I say something, and last night I guess I said it one too many times. Almost found my ass sleeping on the couch lol.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Oh I say something, and last night I guess I said it one too many times. Almost found my ass sleeping on the couch lol.

Yeah, I've told my wife the same thing a handful of times, and each time I did, I got the glare. So now I don't say anything and just deal with it, but I'm the asshole for saying something...lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

...why would anyone put it back facing the house? I can't wrap my head around how inefficient that is.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
...why would anyone put it back facing the house? I can't wrap my head around how inefficient that is.

Two schools of though I guess. If you put the handle/wheels in first, it opens easier to toss bags in. If you push it in so the handle is out, it pulls away easily but might be a little more troublesome to open the lid to toss a bag in.

I am 100% in the wheels/handle out camp. Once those suckers fill up, if you dont have a handle to grab and wheels to lean on, it can be a bitch to drag it away. Add some snow and forget it. My back just torqued typing it out.

Reactions: BMC

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Two schools of though I guess. If you put the handle/wheels in first, it opens easier to toss bags in. If you push it in so the handle is out, it pulls away easily but might be a little more troublesome to open the lid to toss a bag in.

I am 100% in the wheels/handle out camp. Once those suckers fill up, if you dont have a handle to grab and wheels to lean on, it can be a bitch to drag it away. Add some snow and forget it. My back just torqued typing it out.

My town uses the same style barrels. You are 100% right.

Reactions: TD Charlie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
lol amen Bets, I also keep a dumpster back at home. It's emptied the first Friday each month. My father lives on the first floor and I'm on unit 2. He's got a physical hcap and I'm rarely home when the barrels would have to go out, not to mention our town forces 1 set of barrels per unit, aka double the cost. The dumpster is super easy, nobody has to put the trash out, and we save a few bucks.

In our area trash removal is done by the private contractor of your choice. We used to have barrels but it was definitely cheaper to rent the dumpster than pay for 6 barrels. All I have to do is keep the area around it free from snow so the truck can get in there to empty it. Plus unless there's a really large project going on I don't need to rent one special just for that.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Wheels/hinge towards house but on an angle for easy access. If you have the ability to rig it so you can walk down one step and open at least the recycling barrel to throw something away it is a game changer. Mom even has a bungee cord so you can just lift the top without the risk of getting wet when it is raining or snowing.

I have to use a dumpster so I do not recycle. I don't have the space for 2 barrels in my apartment.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
During the State of Emergency, the RMV is only processing REAL ID applications as part of a driver’s license/ID renewal or first time applicant transaction (learner’s permit, out of state conversion, etc.).

However, if you are a AAA member, you can make an appointment to visit a AAA office to upgrade to a REAL ID. Download and complete this form: https://www.mass.gov/doc/learners-permit-drivers-license-and-id-card-application/download

My license expired and I'm trying to get a Real ID. I would say this qualifies as "part of a driver's license/ID renewal" right? So why the heck will this trash ass MASSrmv website not let me start the real id application and make an appointment? About to cut someone.

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Wheels/hinge towards house but on an angle for easy access. If you have the ability to rig it so you can walk down one step and open at least the recycling barrel to throw something away it is a game changer. Mom even has a bungee cord so you can just lift the top without the risk of getting wet when it is raining or snowing.

I have to use a dumpster so I do not recycle. I don't have the space for 2 barrels in my apartment.

That makes it difficult to pull the barrel away from the house when it's go-time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad