HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Happy December 5th

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It has been one year. Last December 5th was the Stanley Cup for Canucks fans, but unfortunately as the year has gone by, the changes to correct Bennings disaster have not been made, or in some cases has gotten worse

A lil bitter sweet I guess for Canucks fans as his firing was obviously long overdue, but we are in the same mess for a long time as fans of the team

Heres the link to the original celebration:

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
It was a head spinning two weeks going into that last day. Shout out the guy who held the “Mr Luigi” sign. Shout out the Jersey thrower. Shout out to all the fans.

We deserve better.

Reactions: mriswith

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
This time last year I was water blasting the frames of a friend’s house who had a fire. Somke does alot of damage. After cleaning the framing we then painted it with thick smell sealing paint.

Despite being a builder himself, and having a community of trades people around him, it took insurance forever to ok a rebuild (sound familiar lol) and they move back in just before Christmas.

I listened to all the radio shows and podcasts about the canucks as I did the more tedious stuff…

Moral is somethings are far more important then sports. And also I don’t even bother to keep up with the latest news this year because we have not really moved forwards since a year ago.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
What has me confused is JR. He seems to be terrible with his public alienation of BB, and how his record at the penguins was a trade a month or something and now…

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Looking at our current roster, W/L record, player contracts, number of draft picks left, and lack of developing prospects... if I didn't know better, it's almost as though Benning never left.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Looking at our current roster, W/L record, player contracts, number of draft picks left, and lack of developing prospects... if I didn't know better, it's almost as though Benning never left.
Theres that famous Benning 4D chess again...

1670269446183.png

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Still a great day but no longer as fun to look back on since new management isn't exactly off to a flying start.

eeyore-winnie-the-pooh.gif

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I was out at a work Christmas party when the news broke and did what I always said I would, danced in the streets. Still the best thing to happen to the Canucks in years.

Reactions: M2Beezy

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Benning must have been sent by Boston to absolutely cripple the franchise. It's going to take many years to turn around the mess of low to no value contracts on this roster. I hope Allvin and JR are up to the task.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Benning must have been sent by Boston to absolutely cripple the franchise. It's going to take many years to turn around the mess of low to no value contracts on this roster. I hope Allvin and JR are up to the task.

With their chosen path... I would not be surprised if they are not around to actually do the rebuild when it finally happens in ~5 years.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It's almost as if, while he was definitely a problem, Benning wasn't THE problem in Vancouver.

That said, we need a bit longer to assess the drafting and development of the new regime. Does anyone know if there was any scouting overhaul done by JR or do we have the same staff as under Benning?

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
A year ago I thought the franchise would be at a much better spot 12 months later, evidently I'm wrong.
Kind of took all the optimism out of me. A lot of the moves are too much like what Benning would do, almost feel as if he never left.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was out at a work Christmas party when the news broke and did what I always said I would, danced in the streets. Still the best thing to happen to the Canucks in years.

We were driving home from my parents' house after helping them set up for Christmas and I checked my phone as I was pumping gas at a Petro Canada. I think I scared a guy at the pump next to me when I yelled.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
We haven’t heard from Benning since he got canned. I wonder when the NDA expires for him to speak on what happened here?

Anyways, hope he never becomes a GM again cause he sucks monkey nuts.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
We haven’t heard from Benning since he got canned. I wonder when the NDA expires for him to speak on what happened here?

I dont know EL, Id be thrilled if the Oilers or Leafs hired him :naughty:

Reactions: LordBacon

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Also, his health at the end didn’t look well. He looked stressed as a mother f***er
Obviously hes responsible for his actions, but looking at how poorly Alvin and JR have done since last December 5th, makes me wonder really how much input Benning actually had in management decisions. The results and moves are nearly identical. As you said, he did look stressed, maybe he was frustrated with the ownership. Hard to know at this point. Anyways I still hold him responsible for the destruction of our team, but more info is always coming about what happend

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Obviously hes responsible for his actions, but looking at how poorly Alvin and JR have done since last December 5th, makes me wonder really how much input Benning actually had in management decisions. The results and moves are nearly identical. As you said, he did look stressed, maybe he was frustrated with the ownership. Hard to know at this point. Anyways I still hold him responsible for the destruction of our team, but more info is always coming about what happend

And again, not even close.

Results might be similar because of Demko's issues but the quality of transactions is exponentially better.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I imagine he's not going to say shit while he's still being paid by the team.

Even then he never struck me as a "tell all" kind of guy, he'll quietly twiddle his thumbs until he gets to stamp his old boys club card for a new job.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
And again, not even close.

Results might be similar because of Demko's issues but the quality of transactions is exponentially better.

The problem is that comparing the new management to management to Benning is such a low bar. We could hire am orangutan and they would be exponentially better than Benning. How would you rate management with a real standard? I'd say we're in the below average to middling in NHL management right now. They have made some good transactions in Bear and Kuzmenko. Mikheyev has been solid. However I think there misses are looking incredibly bad right now and are more impactful than there wins. That being the Boeser and Miller extensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad