Patriots/NFL Happy Birthday, Drew Bledsoe!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Happy 50th to the guy who made me start watching professional sports.

You’ve aged like a fine wine!

Still my all time favorite New England Athlete.

ED019E2C-EFFC-42FB-BF61-12487B083FB9.jpeg

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I kind of think of Drew as a poor man‘s Brady. Not in terms of stats, but in terms of how they played the game.

Neither guy could run worth a damn but both were warriors and ultra competitive. Drew looked for the long ball more but was very smart when it came to analyzing defensive coverage.

In case I’m not being clear, Drew Bledsoe is not in Tom Brady’s league in terms of greatness, but he’s a very good QB (and memorable to me as he was the guy I grew up watching in elementary school) in his own right.

Happy 50th Drew!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's been a complicated path but I've come around to really loving and appreciating Drew Bledsoe and how much he meant to Boston sports in my childhood.

People kinda forget how toxic things were by the time Brady took over. The Pete Carroll years weren't great, and by 2000 when they stagnated to 5-11 I feel like I was so negative on Bledsoe that I wanted Michael Bishop to start (dude could throw the ball like 70 yards in the air and was the first scrambling QB I remember in Foxboro. He was basically a Dollar Tree version of Michael Vick.) After they gave him that huge contract and he had that incident at the concert, the media was starting to circle around him like sharks smelling blood.

When he got hurt and Brady took over and there was a controversy over who should start, I was definitely team Brady, but was always impressed with how well Drew carried himself. He wasn't being a baby and crying to the media, he supported and helped coach up Brady, and when he came in in the AFCCG it was a wonderful moment.

Of course, after the trade inside the division, along with all the petty Bledsoe vs. Brady debates and such, I was a little unfair to him. But with time passing I have come around again to appreciate what he meant to the franchise. He was the star of the first team I watched (1994 Pats), he played exciting football, helped them get to a Superbowl in 1996-97. I remember I had a Drew Bledsoe uniform for Halloween back in like 1995 or 1996. Had a jersey at some point. And historically, he may have done more than anyone other than Robert Kraft to save this franchise from being moved. If they don't have the #1 overall pick and a blue chip franchise QB lined up, is Parcells going to give up his broadcasting job to take the job here? If they wound up with bust Rick Mirer or Scott Secules or someone as the starting QB from 1993-1995, does that team survive? Does Kraft see enough value in them as a future investment to take the actions he did in leveraging the stadium lease to take the team over from Orthwein if you've got Rick Mirer and Dick Macpherson? I kinda doubt it. And if Bledsoe and Parcells don't have that great 1994 season, are they worth enough that Kraft could hold onto them and get a new stadium built in New England? It's all interesting to think about.

Reactions: GabeTravels

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It's been a complicated path but I've come around to really loving and appreciating Drew Bledsoe and how much he meant to Boston sports in my childhood.

People kinda forget how toxic things were by the time Brady took over. The Pete Carroll years weren't great, and by 2000 when they stagnated to 5-11 I feel like I was so negative on Bledsoe that I wanted Michael Bishop to start (dude could throw the ball like 70 yards in the air and was the first scrambling QB I remember in Foxboro. He was basically a Dollar Tree version of Michael Vick.) After they gave him that huge contract and he had that incident at the concert, the media was starting to circle around him like sharks smelling blood.

When he got hurt and Brady took over and there was a controversy over who should start, I was definitely team Brady, but was always impressed with how well Drew carried himself. He wasn't being a baby and crying to the media, he supported and helped coach up Brady, and when he came in in the AFCCG it was a wonderful moment.

Of course, after the trade inside the division, along with all the petty Bledsoe vs. Brady debates and such, I was a little unfair to him. But with time passing I have come around again to appreciate what he meant to the franchise. He was the star of the first team I watched (1994 Pats), he played exciting football, helped them get to a Superbowl in 1996-97. I remember I had a Drew Bledsoe uniform for Halloween back in like 1995 or 1996. Had a jersey at some point. And historically, he may have done more than anyone other than Robert Kraft to save this franchise from being moved. If they don't have the #1 overall pick and a blue chip franchise QB lined up, is Parcells going to give up his broadcasting job to take the job here? If they wound up with bust Rick Mirer or Scott Secules or someone as the starting QB from 1993-1995, does that team survive? Does Kraft see enough value in them as a future investment to take the actions he did in leveraging the stadium lease to take the team over from Orthwein if you've got Rick Mirer and Dick Macpherson? I kinda doubt it. And if Bledsoe and Parcells don't have that great 1994 season, are they worth enough that Kraft could hold onto them and get a new stadium built in New England? It's all interesting to think about.

Those are all valid issues and good thing Bledsoe made sure it never took place. Kid had a fantastic arm. Peak and prime Bledsoe gave Marino a run for
his money.

Speaking of money, I still remember laughing at a comment Bledsoe made in a Boston Globe article, maybe in his 1st or 2nd year.

He told whomever wrote the article, that he kept calling his bank to listen to the auto recording of his seven figure bank balance when his first big check was deposited...lol.

Hard to believe Bledsoe is 50.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'm older than him, but only by a year.

o_O

I have a friend whose son is named after him.

His other son is named Brady.

My cousin named her two sons Brady and Drew. :laugh: I love her but it was hilarious and still is.

Yes, both after Tom and Bledsoe. They both play soccer. The younger one plays flag football but they mostly play soccer.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yesterday Drew Bledsoe turned 50

Today, Bruins legend Jaromir Jagr turns 50

What a couple days for the world back in 1972

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad