OT: Happy 4th of July!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
title says it all
As is tradition, I post our national anthem, original 1st verse as by Francis Scott Key, which which I'm sure we all know.

I as copyright holder consent grant permission to myself, the HFB member bernmeister, to publish here the following second verse [lyrics by yours truly], solely for the noncommercial use and enjoyment of HFB members. I direct my verse is always complementary and to accompany, never be a replacement, to Key's original,:

O say can you see
by the dawn's early light
what so proudly we hailed
at the twilight's last gleaming
whose broad stripes and bright stars
through the perilous fight
o'er the ramparts we watched
were so gallantly streaming
and the rocket's red glare
the bombs bursting in air
gave proof through the night
that our flag was still there
O say does that Star Spangled Banner still waive
O'er the land of the free
and the home of the brave

So say the brave free
our great flag flies with might
stars and stripes speak most loud
USA has liberty
recall then God's great gift
was that revrent blest night
tho McHenry most bombed
the Fort's distressed armory
but Brit shells were denied
we now trumpet with pride
our prayers had been heard
God's own hand on our side
Yay proclaim The Star Spangled Banner still waives
Unfurled Old Glory be
freedom's Author so saves

--------------

Share your comments/celebration of Independence Day below
if nec. for comments outside a post, feel free to start a conversation

btw --- Key's original title was 'Defence of Fort McHenry', but he changed it quickly to The Star Spangled Banner. Library of Congress estimates this day as October 19, which I hope to someday have celebrated as Star Spangled Banner Appreciation Day.

------------------------
Yes, this is not just poetry to be recited but exists as an actual performance.

I am straightening out something on my website, so enjoy the lyrics above, if you want my rendition of the above let me know by pm and I will advise when I get everything available, prob in wk or 2.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Since I retired every day is a holiday. All businesses and bosses can f*** off (they could have done that before I retired too) and I don't care much about calendars or clocks.

That's my fourth of july speech.

So happy 4th, happy 5th, happy 6th etc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Since I retired every day is a holiday. All businesses and bosses can **** off (they could have done that before I retired too) and I don't care much about calendars or clocks.

That's my fourth of july speech.

So happy 4th, happy 5th, happy 6th etc.

bold: so tell us how you really feel...

happy 4th, and everyday, eb

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway I've just gotten excellent news. My translation of Roberto Arlt's 'The Flamethrowers' has just gone on sale today at:

Welcome

It's the second half of 'The Seven Madmen' and it's been a long time coming.

Reactions: Sarge13

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
According to Wikipedia:
Yuengling & Son is the oldest operating brewing company in the United States, established in 1829. It is one of the largest breweries by volume in the country.

Well, it's not 1776, or 1812, but still a good enough excuse to hoist a glass.

I actually went to the Yuengling brewery last year August in Tampa and did the tour. Was interesting. Unfortunately not as old as the breweries here in Europe, but still fun to see

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
According to Wikipedia:
Yuengling & Son is the oldest operating brewing company in the United States, established in 1829. It is one of the largest breweries by volume in the country.

Bern--there's got to be about a million micro-breweries that would put Yuengling to shame though. Personally I like IPA's and after that it's stouts and porters. I don't think Yuengling does anything remotely like that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I actually went to the Yuengling brewery last year August in Tampa and did the tour. Was interesting. Unfortunately not as old as the breweries here in Europe, but still fun to see

Not that I'm necessarily recommending Magic Hat's products. I think there are a lot that are better but if you're ever up in Burlington Vt. and you have a four legged friend along with you and on a leash you can take them inside for most of their brewery tour too. I always like places that are friendly to dogs.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bern--there's got to be about a million micro-breweries that would put Yuengling to shame though. Personally I like IPA's and after that it's stouts and porters. I don't think Yuengling does anything remotely like that.

Yuengling might be the oldest, but they are certainly not the best. After traveling to the US a few times, I can say that these are my favorite breweries:

1. Blue Point (For anyone living close to NY, go to the brewery in Patchogue. Their Mosaic IPA is top-5 on my global IPA list)
2. Red Hook (In Seattle. One of the places I always visit when I go there)
3. Dogfish Head (From Milton, Delaware. Their 120 minute IPA is the best beer I've ever had. No exaggeration)
4. Gordon Biersch (Tempe, AZ)
5. Big Top (In Sarasota, one of the most laid back brewery experiences I've had in the US)

I feel we need a beer thread, guys!

Reactions: eco's bones

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Not that I'm necessarily recommending Magic Hat's products. I think there are a lot that are better but if you're ever up in Burlington Vt. and you have a four legged friend along with you and on a leash you can take them inside for most of their brewery tour too. I always like places that are friendly to dogs.
"If you're ever up in Burlington"
I don't think anyone comes here for much besides the beer :laugh:

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yuengling might be the oldest, but they are certainly not the best. After traveling to the US a few times, I can say that these are my favorite breweries:

1. Blue Point (For anyone living close to NY, go to the brewery in Patchogue. Their Mosaic IPA is top-5 on my global IPA list)
2. Red Hook (In Seattle. One of the places I always visit when I go there)
3. Dogfish Head (From Milton, Delaware. Their 120 minute IPA is the best beer I've ever had. No exaggeration)
4. Gordon Biersch (Tempe, AZ)
5. Big Top (In Sarasota, one of the most laid back brewery experiences I've had in the US)

I feel we need a beer thread, guys!

I'd rather drink a lot less of something I like than drink something I don't like. The problem with the big names in the US is they over mass produce and the quality suffers for it. They've been steadily losing their market share for quite a while--not that I care about market share about anything all that much but they've been losing it anyway. It's because it's poor quality. Any successful micro-brewery and there are tons of them all over the place---the people are really interested in what they're doing--pro-active do it yourselfers oft times beer snobs developing their crafts and skills. It's not just a job---it's more a vocation for them. So a lot of them become very good at what they do---and the more the economy sucks the more people drink or so it seems to me anyway. Anyway quality always over quantity.

One of my favorites is Heady Topper which is an IPA and we have to go back to Vermont again--because that's where it's made and they don't sell out of state. They've been a favorite though of the Rate Beer and Beer Advocate websites for quite a while. Sometimes No. 1. I don't care for fruity beers by the way. I want a beer to taste like a beer--have a full bodied flavor and a bit of kick. One of the better things about the United States anymore IMO are all these breweries and anyone can go into a grocery store and plenty of other places almost everywhere and find all kinds of interesting options.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
"If you're ever up in Burlington"
I don't think anyone comes here for much besides the beer :laugh:

Actually we go to Vermont about every other year. The house we were renting in South Hero though I don't think is rentable any longer which is sad because I really liked the place. It had it's own dock and a pool table which would keep me occupied for hours.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
According to Wikipedia:

Moved to PA and had so many people praise Yuengling. Tried and thought it was okay, notching amazing.

More or a wine person, but I’ll ask for it if I am out socially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad