Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Here's to a true American icon:

47582184_309053463150868_3978582527456177259_n.jpg

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Happy Fourth of July Bruins fans!

I was 8 years old for the Bicentennial celebration back in '76 and spent it with relatives in Charlestown.

I remember running up the steps of the monument, the war reenactment, the parade - great times.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-7-4_2-55-18.png

I worked this gig 27 times by my count and it was my favorite assignment of the year. It didn't matter who was televising it - WGBH, WCVB (A&E), CBS or WCVB - the crew was hired by David Mugar and it was a yearly reunion of people that I relished. I last worked it 3 years ago in Mugar's final year before the BSO forced him out.

The BSO gave the contract to Bloomberg TV :huh: and new people were brought in.

Over the years I got to work with some well known national talent that would host the show and by far the best was Craig Ferguson who did it for 3 years on CBS. He hung out with the crew and one year he asked us why people go nuts about Red Sox/Yankees and I said 'Craig aren't you from Scotland'? and he said yes and I said 'Sox/NYY is Celtic/Rangers on steroids' and he said 'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'.

He told the crew if we were ever in LA to call his office and he would set us up for a taping and 9 years ago I took him up on it. Not only did I get VIP treatment at CBS in LA I became part of his monologue as it gave him a chance to explain Celtic/Rangers to US fans. o_O

The worst host was Dr. Phil.

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Happy Birthday America.

Growing up I always had a very romantic view of the US and it has never left me to be honest. It formed from a childhood of reading books set in the US to watching American TV shows and movies. I can still remember the excitement I felt before my first trip stateside in 2015. I've only scratched the surface of your country (Vegas, NYC and Boston) but the mere thought of going to the US gets me all giddy and excited. Everything from the cars to the food to the buildings and more feeds into my inner child and his dreams of what America represented to a kid growing up in a small town in rural Ireland.

America (like every other country on this planet) has its problems but for me it will always hold a special allure and Boston in particular has stolen a piece of my heart.

I look forward to visiting again and maybe next time with a son or daughter to share it with also.

Happy 4th of July Bruins fans.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
View attachment 242733

I worked this gig 27 times by my count and it was my favorite assignment of the year. It didn't matter who was televising it - WGBH, WCVB (A&E), CBS or WCVB - the crew was hired by David Mugar and it was a yearly reunion of people that I relished. I last worked it 3 years ago in Mugar's final year before the BSO forced him out.

The BSO gave the contract to Bloomberg TV :huh: and new people were brought in.

Over the years I got to work with some well known national talent that would host the show and by far the best was Craig Ferguson who did it for 3 years on CBS. He hung out with the crew and one year he asked us why people go nuts about Red Sox/Yankees and I said 'Craig aren't you from Scotland'? and he said yes and I said 'Sox/NYY is Celtic/Rangers on steroids' and he said 'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'.

He told the crew if we were ever in LA to call his office and he would set us up for a taping and 9 years ago I took him up on it. Not only did I get VIP treatment at CBS in LA I became part of his monologue as it gave him a chance to explain Celtic/Rangers to US fans. o_O

The worst host was Dr. Phil.

I hate that the rights were sold to Bloomberg, I haven't been able to find a way to watch it since they took it over :rant:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Happy Birthday America.

Growing up I always had a very romantic view of the US and it has never left me to be honest. It formed from a childhood of reading books set in the US to watching American TV shows and movies. I can still remember the excitement I felt before my first trip stateside in 2015. I've only scratched the surface of your country (Vegas, NYC and Boston) but the mere thought of going to the US gets me all giddy and excited. Everything from the cars to the food to the buildings and more feeds into my inner child and his dreams of what America represented to a kid growing up in a small town in rural Ireland.

America (like every other country on this planet) has its problems but for me it will always hold a special allure and Boston in particular has stolen a piece of my heart.

I look forward to visiting again and maybe next time with a son or daughter to share it with also.

Happy 4th of July Bruins fans.

I was moved by this. This is the post of the day as far as I’m concerned.

Thank you, brother!

A happy Fourth of July to you, too!

:cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad