Hanzal Extension or Trade

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Extension. I think he'd only be moved for one of the top available guys like Trouba etc. And I doubt that one of those deals actually happens.

I also think it would be good for the team for him to be around for atleast 3 years. Ease Strome and Dvorak into the 1/2 roles. It would also allow him to play where he really should be, in the 2/3 C spot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that he stays for 3 years as a bridge between Vermette/RIchardson and Strome/Dvorak

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My order of likelihood is:
Traded at the TDL
Traded at the Draft
Extension

I'd actually prefer the extension if it's reasonable. But I think the economic realities of being both injury prone and at near his career peak will price Hanzal out of Arizona. Could be his last big payday and if he doesn't know it already he will.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka is all about maximizing value and IMO Hanzal has more value in a trade than he does here on a contract extension. Sign Backes to fill his spot at centre.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Have supported a trade for Hanzal, but the Goligoski trade changes that. Signing these two are priorities 1a and 1b of the new ownership, in my mind.

Injury history scares the crap out of me - and we will likely overpay to keep him. Really think that if the numbers are far apart, he is gone by the deadline at the latest.

Gives 60 games to evaluate how Strome and Dvorak look in center duties, even if Dvorak's may be limited time. Need two of Strome/Gaudet/Dvorak to make an impact to even justify a deal. If we don't get any trade completed, we still have player rights to trade or can get him signed.

Agree w sniper's order...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he goes for a D at draft. We take Brown at 7.

The only way we trade Hanzal this year is if we get a comparable C back, likes Backes or maybe a Staal. There is no way we can have Vermette or Strome our 1C next year.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I voted extension.

We need him (or Staal) to buffer Strome for at least the first season, so he can't be traded at the draft.

Trading at the deadline might seem like a good compromise but Tip has playoffs on his mind and would never allow that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The only way we trade Hanzal this year is if we get a comparable C back, likes Backes or maybe a Staal. There is no way we can have Vermette or Strome our 1C next year.

I get the logic. Depends on $/term he's asking for.

AZ may not like and may prefer to address D deficiency; especially given Hanzal's penchant for missing 25% of the season. Creates a hole yes. Addresses different hole.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I voted extension. If he's not Tippett's favorite player on the roster, he's 2 or 3. Although he had a career high in points last year which matched Dave's career high. Might have to take Domi and Duclair off his line permanently.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm thinking if we can trade him at the draft, we'll get the most back for him. The reason for this is that he will most likely be injured at some point in the season, so we'd probably only get a mediocre pick/prospect in return. If we move him at the draft, we may get a better pick/prospect in return.

I'm not exactly sure what to trade for him, but if we added him to a package of some sort, we might be able to get a decent 2nd line C and perhaps a decent 3rd/2nd pairing RD (to fill in for Stone and eventually to pair with Connauton). I'm not sure what else would be involved in the deal, but perhaps Perlini, Dahlbeck, or MacInnis (or picks) might be of interest to some teams (maybe Detroit)

I'm still not sure if the above will land us what we'd need, but if we keep Hanzal, my guess is the extension since he'll probably be injured around the trade deadline.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I voted extension.

We obviously need a vet 1C/2C in order to bring Strome and maybe Dvo along this year. Any UFA C that can play that roll will want term and money that might not fit into our long term plans. If we trade Hanzal for futures, it doesn't help us win this year or solve our 1C/2C problem this year, so I don't see that as an option. If we trade him for a vet that can help, it will be somebody like Shatty that has the same one year left on his deal. It is unlikely that Shatyy/Hanzal both agree to extend as part of a trade deal. A one year stop gap of Shatty doesn't help us long term.

Because of Hanzal's injury history, one year remaining on his deal, our lack of any other 1C/2C, and the development of Strome/Dvo, I see us keeping Hanzal this year and maybe an extension. I don't see a trade at the draft or this summer. Our picture will be more clear by the TDL, maybe we move him then if we have not signed him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad