Hans's Hockey Thoughts: Top 5 Unexpected Events to Expect in Detroit

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
5. Wings Won't Resign Howard
He's only being payed 2.5 million but when his contract is up he'll ask for more and its not worth it. With a 2.64 GAA and .888 SV% in the playoffs, he’s not exactly the guy who will carry a team and win you games. Gustavsson will still be around and who knows maybe even Pytr Mrasek by then. Additionally this will free up some more cap space for the Red Wings to spend money in one of the deepest free agent pools in a while.
4. Wings Will Buyout Jonathon Ericsson
Ericsson is OVERATED and not worth 3.25 million. He has a big body and doesn't use it. He only scored 11 points and isn't of a ton of worth defensively. Cut him and use the money to bring in a quality defender to Detroit.
3. Helm Will Become a Captain Soon
Maybe not for a few years, but Datsyuk is 34 and is in the twilight of his career. When he retires, Helm will fill his spot. Maybe not as a goal scorer, but as a leader. Helm adds a spark the Wings need; his speed is unmatched. His hard work will eventually be reward and by the time Datsyuk retires, he will most certainly be something to build off.
2. Blashill will soon replace Babcock
Who? Jeff Blashill, current head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins. He has taken the Griffins from 3 years of misery to 21-11-2-2 and 1st place in the Midwest Division. Before that he took Western Michigan from 8-20-8 to 19-13-10 and an NCAA Tournament appearance. Blashill additionally assisted Mike Babcock in 2011-12. He’s a genius and will assuredly be behind the bench for some lucky NHL team very soon. The Red Wings better make sure that is them. For those saying that the Wings can't get rid of Babcock, consider this, Babcock may have been the result of talent. His Stanley Cup and Gold Medal were both won with teams loaded with studs, the Wings also haven't gone far in the playoffs the past three years and don't looked poised to this year either, maybe he's really not the guy.
1. Nyquist will join Brunner as Wings Top Scorer in 2013-14
Yeah he hasn't put up tremendous numbers when called up to the Wings but he has been praised for his puck control and poise. He also has put up beast numbers down in Grand Rapids. He's scored 43 points in 44 games this year and 58 points in 56 games last season. Give him some playing time and a spot on one of the top lines and he will produce.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
Why don't you agree? Howards not a championship goaltender, Ericsson is overpaid, Blashill is a young genius, and Nyquist is extremely talented just hasen't been given a decent shot.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Why don't you agree? Howards not a championship goaltender, Ericsson is overpaid, Blashill is a young genius, and Nyquist is extremely talented just hasen't been given a decent shot.

Babcock is the best coach in the league, to be honest coaching is the one department the wings don't need to worry about. Maybe this "young genious" can manage a team?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I could see Helm possibly getting the next A

other than that every single thing in the op is completely ridiculous

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

1) Who do we have to replace Howie right now?
2) Have you watched any games this season? Big E is looking to be worth every penny of that contract
3) Blashill is nowhere near ready for the NHL, if he was he'd still be an assistant in Detroit.
4)Nyquist is extremely talented and when given a shot I expect him to produce offensively, just not be the leading scorer on a team that features Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Val Filppula, and Johan Franzen.

crashman

I don't think any of these things will ever happen.

I suppose anything could happen with the coaching situation, but I doubt Blashill is the Wings next coach.

The rest are just ridiculous, but that'd be great if #5 were true.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He's only being payed 2.5 million but when his contract is up he'll ask for more and its not worth it. With a 2.64 GAA and .888 SV% in the playoffs, he’s not exactly the guy who will carry a team and win you games. Gustavsson will still be around and who knows maybe even Pytr Mrasek by then. Additionally this will free up some more cap space for the Red Wings to spend money in one of the deepest free agent pools in a while.
Ericsson is OVERATED and not worth 3.25 million. He has a big body and doesn't use it. He only scored 11 points and isn't of a ton of worth defensively. Cut him and use the money to bring in a quality defender to Detroit.
Maybe not for a few years, but Datsyuk is 34 and is in the twilight of his career. When he retires, Helm will fill his spot. Maybe not as a goal scorer, but as a leader. Helm adds a spark the Wings need; his speed is unmatched. His hard work will eventually be reward and by the time Datsyuk retires, he will most certainly be something to build off.
Who? Jeff Blashill, current head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins. He has taken the Griffins from 3 years of misery to 21-11-2-2 and 1st place in the Midwest Division. Before that he took Western Michigan from 8-20-8 to 19-13-10 and an NCAA Tournament appearance. Blashill additionally assisted Mike Babcock in 2011-12. He’s a genius and will assuredly be behind the bench for some lucky NHL team very soon. The Red Wings better make sure that is them. For those saying that the Wings can't get rid of Babcock, consider this, Babcock may have been the result of talent. His Stanley Cup and Gold Medal were both won with teams loaded with studs, the Wings also haven't gone far in the playoffs the past three years and don't looked poised to this year either, maybe he's really not the guy.
Yeah he hasn't put up tremendous numbers when called up to the Wings but he has been praised for his puck control and poise. He also has put up beast numbers down in Grand Rapids. He's scored 43 points in 44 games this year and 58 points in 56 games last season. Give him some playing time and a spot on one of the top lines and he will produce.

5. I could only see it happening if there were other decent goaltenders on the market this year. I do think we'll overpay him.

4. Ericsson is actually good now. This isn't 2010. Not happening

3. Possible. He's definitely a leader. Not "C" worthy, but certainly "A" worthy,

2. This team wouldn't have the guts to cut Babcock. Plus he's not really the problem, other than his Cleary love thing going on...

1. Those two will be amongst the top scorers, but not over Pavel and Hank if that's what's being implied.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Jimmy Howard was in vezina talks last year, lets not forget that until the injury he was on pace to break a record for wins in a season and once he was gone that's when the team fell apart. he will get in the 4 million range and I think he deserves that much. 5 million is the top I see him getting though.

Ericsson won't be bought out and your stats are wrong. he scored 11 points last year yes but the year before he put up 15. he has never really been a PP guy and is a good PK man. he has been easily the most dependable defenseman we have had so far this year, and his cap is not even that horrible, maybe a little above what he's worth but not to this team.

Helm getting an A yeah ok I'm on board saying he will be captain is way out there.

Babcock is one of the top 3 coach's in the league he took an average mighty ducks team to a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, then declined an offer to stay there and came to Detroit. the only dumb thing he has done is not get Ken Hitchcock to be an assistant coach when he had the chance. Blashell is great but I would prefer him in GR next year continue what he started down there. then come up as an assistant coach again. really earn his head coaching job not just get one.

Nyquist possibly lets not get ahead of ourselves he's good but not superstar good..... yet.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg.....Darren *** Helm?! Oy!

Nevermind I derived you meant an A. Throwing up in my mouth averted.

Aug 6, 2012
Doubt it unless he's asking for $5+ million and there are other capable goaltenders hitting UFA.

Ericsson is outplaying his contract so far if you'd ask me. Not by a ton but he and his contract are definitely the least of our problems.

Flip is still ahead of Helm in line for an "A". So whenever Pavs leaves it'll be Kronner and Flip with the "A's", provided he's resigned. (Or does Flip already rotate with the "A" this year? Idk)

If Blashill keeps up this production with the Griffins for another three-or-so years I could see him getting a job in the NHL. Whether that be in Detroit or somewhere else depends on Babs' future.

Datsyuk will be the Wings leading scorer this year and for the next few provided he resigns. Nyquist will do great I'm sure but Pavs is the heart and soul of the offense and I truly believe he's just flat out better offensively than anyone else on this team pretty easily. Yes Z will also be up there but Pavs skill and consistency will keep him as our top-scorer.

So in my opinion your 0 for 5. But you did say unexpected and I respect your opinions even if I don't agree.

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
Only 3 and 1 are somewhat realistic. Like everyone before me has stated, I see Helm getting the "A" at some point (in 3 years time, or whenever Pav retires/goes to the KHL), but not the "C".

And for Nyquist, again, probably not next year, but if he gets a chance to stick around, he will lead the team in the future (after Z, Pav and maybe Fil).

But for 5, 4 and 2.

5. Who are we going to replace Howard with? Gustavsson? I like the guy, but only in a back up capacity.

4. Ericsson's been playing much better this season. I'll even go as far as saying he's played better defensively than Kronwall has this season.

2. Babcock isn't going anywhere. And Blashill isn't proven in the NHL as a head coach. I'd rather have a veteran NHL head coach over a rookie Head Coach any day.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Helm will likely get an "A" at some point but I doubt he ever gets the "C".

Its possible they don't retain Howard, but only if he has an absoultely terrible rest of the season and demands big money in the offseason.

Blashill was just demoted and Renney was brought in, so if Babcock is fired (Which is also very unlikely) Renney would probably get the job before Blashill.

Ericsson has been worth every cent of his contract so far this year and would be far down the list of potential buyouts.

Nyquist will get a spot in the line-up next year, but the likelihood of him leading the team in scoring as a rookie is pretty slim. The odds of him and Brunner both outscoring D and Z is pretty much nil.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
There's a reason why none of us are expecting any of these things to happen. They're nonsensical sensationalist moves that harm the team more than help it.

Sheldon Keefe

Generational Handshaker
Dec 22, 2011
Babcock is overrated. I wouldn't mind seeing him go, the team never improved with him but I know he's still an ok coach, just not the "best in the nhl" everyone sees in him for some reason...

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Highly unlikely, I expect another short term contract for Howard.

Also unlikely, Ericsson one of the highlights on an otherwise underwhelming blueline this season thus far.

Hopefully Helm can stay healthy, but it's completely feasible.
We know who Jeff Blashill is, coaching hasn't been a problem. Babcock isn't likely to be removed unless it's by his own choice.
[/quote]
Also highly unlikely.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If I have to pick the prospect most likely to lead the Wings at some point in scoring and this is hard with Zetterberg still on the team for a while, it would be Jarnkrok.

Helm could get an A, though that means Filppula leaving. They have also put an A on Ericsson during some of the preseason games in recent years, though I would choose Helm over him just something to think about. The Wings give the C to star players so unlikely he will ever get that. In fact if this team isn't as good down the road, when Zetterberg takes off the C we could be one of those teams that doesn't hand it out right away.

If Howard asks for anything north of 5 million, you sign a stop gap or feed Mrazek to the wolves and hope he pans out. I in part say that because of who I think he is, he might respond to that, the bigger the stage the more Mrazek seems to like it. The Wings once put Osgood out there pretty young and they used to be into cheap goalies, so I could see it. Still very doubtful.

Big E won't be bought out and shouldn't be bought out. He is closer to getting an extension on July 1st when they are allowed to talk about that again this offseason than asked to leave.

Blashill will be a good coach in the NHL. The problem with Detroit is an option was he already had trouble clicking with a lot of the lockerroom and they didn't respect him a whole bunch from some reports. It isn't that different of a room, should they go full rebuild and sell big parts than fine assuming the leader of the problem wasn't Zetterberg. If so, no dice on Blashill and Detroit. I think he will get his chance, but he should shoot for a very young team, he seems to do well with that age group and needs to continue polishing up for a couple more years before I would hand him the reigns to a team that is built like the Wings.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I LOLed. Hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad