Hans's Hockey Thought: Play mrazek!!!!!!!!!

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
This kid is a stud, not a benchwarmer. He needs to play. Either send him down to Grand Rapids and let him start there or start him in net for the Wings. I'd opt for the former for a few reasons.
1. He'll develop more if he plays. Not too complicated.
2. He'll help out the Griffins tremendously if he starts. The Griffins win in front of good goales (ie Mrazek and for a brief time last year Conklin) and lose in front of bad ones (ie McCollum, needs to go soon). You want your prospects to win and they haven't really done that the last 3 years (Wings haven't gone deep in the playoffs the last 3 years either, just saying).
3. Anybody can be a benchwarmer. McCollum, Pearce, does it really matter who's on the bench? Howard needs a break, sure call Mrazek up, but McCollum and Pearce are just as good as Mrazek is at bench sitting, last time I checked.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
This kid is a stud, not a benchwarmer. He needs to play. Either send him down to Grand Rapids and let him start there or start him in net for the Wings. I'd opt for the former for a few reasons.
1. He'll develop more if he plays. Not too complicated.
2. He'll help out the Griffins tremendously if he starts. The Griffins win in front of good goales (ie Mrazek and for a brief time last year Conklin) and lose in front of bad ones (ie McCollum, needs to go soon). You want your prospects to win and they haven't really done that the last 3 years (Wings haven't gone deep in the playoffs the last 3 years either, just saying).
3. Anybody can be a benchwarmer. McCollum, Pearce, does it really matter who's on the bench? Howard needs a break, sure call Mrazek up, but McCollum and Pearce are just as good as Mrazek is at bench sitting, last time I checked.

Mrazek at this point isn't as good as Howard so he's not going to be the #1 guy

The Wings have already had a game that Howard got hurt in and had to finish it anyways because McCollum was on the bench.. They need someone in the back-up role who can start a game now and then, but who can also play in case of injury or a bad game.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
But I just don't think its right for him to be sitting on the bench all of the time.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
I think it could be agreed that Mrazek is the long term plan for the Wings. I don't think he'll develop into that playing as a backup. Practice isn't the same as games.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
But I just don't think its right for him to be sitting on the bench all of the time.

I'm thinking that once Monster comes back healthy, Mrazek heads back to GR to play all the games he can handle, which is what he needs. I do like what I see in him so far, he just needs to avoid the goalie fights after getting tuned up by the Rockford goalie.

Off topic, but I really hope your last name is Gruber. And that you like to watch Devils games from the '80's and keep saying the name "MacLean" with disgust every time John made a play. :D

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He'll only be there until Gustavsson comes back from injury.

He's just had his longest skate since getting injured and reported no problems so it won't be too long before he takes the back-up role and Mrazek is back to being the starter in Grand Rapids.

Sitting on the bench won't help Mrazek develop like playing in Grand Rapids, but practicing with the Wings and their coaching staff should make up for the difference. I'm sure Petr doesn't mind his situation right now considering the extra money, and perks of NHL life over AHL life.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Griffins have a whopping 5 days off right now, there's no rush to send him down. Who exactly is he going to start for right now? Perhaps he gets another look in net with Detroit before going back.

Not to mention traveling, practicing, etc getting a taste of the NHL life is probably motivation for a guy like Mrazek. Somewhat beneficial.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
I'm thinking that once Monster comes back healthy, Mrazek heads back to GR to play all the games he can handle, which is what he needs. I do like what I see in him so far, he just needs to avoid the goalie fights after getting tuned up by the Rockford goalie.

Off topic, but I really hope your last name is Gruber. And that you like to watch Devils games from the '80's and keep saying the name "MacLean" with disgust every time John made a play. :D
Gotta admit that was awesome though. Off topic but, think Rockford might be replacing Chicago as Griffins top current rival, thought Chicago/GR has more history, Rockford has more current tension, too bad the season series is pretty much done. Hope they meet in the playoffs.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
And good point about Griffins not playing til Friday, Pearce probs starts Friday cuz McCollum's a sieve but then Mrazek should be sent down. For sure by March, lots of important road games for the Griffins then.

hpleisman

Jan 19, 2013
Think they'll start Mrazek Wednesday against the Blues? He had success against them before. Might give him confidence. Though I do not think confidence is something Mrazek struggles with. McCollum on the other hand...(probs figuring out by know my feeling about Tommy McCollum

CloneHakanPlease*

Didn't reap OP because of your last thread, but I think he should get some starts too. Would be very useful to see how far off he is as a bargaining chip for Howard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it could be agreed that Mrazek is the long term plan for the Wings. I don't think he'll develop into that playing as a backup. Practice isn't the same as games.

Game sharpness is a big deal. But don't undersell the value of practice with an NHL team for a professional rookie just turning 21 year old kid. It is unlikely he got to pick up the kind of habits off of McCollum and Pearce that he is seeing out of Howard. It is also unlikely that Grand Rapids practices with the pace and skill of the Wings. You wait much longer and he might lose some more feel aspects, especially rebound control. However, my guess is this has been good for him on a long-term aspect. Give one more start on the weekend by then Monster should be good enough to go.

Also how long does Monster have to be out to get sent down for a conditioning stint? That is really the option I would like to see for this weekend. If monster is as close as he said he was in the Helm MLive article today.

"Maybe a few practices and then I'll be good to go,'' Gustavsson said. "I've been feeling good every time I've been on the ice now. I've been trying to push harder and harder.

"Today was the first practice with the guys. That felt good. When you're out there with (goaltending coach Jim Bedard) it's more like controlled movements. When you have players out there you try to stop the puck when you're not in maybe perfect balance. That's when you get a good test and that felt good today. Maybe the next practice I try to make some more shots and then I'm good to go. It's always tough to say exactly what game I'll be back.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_todd_bertuzzi_darren.html

I think giving him a game down in Grand Rapids this weekend would be a good move.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Babcock was on NHL Live today and said Howard will get a couple more starts and then Mrazek will get another shot (Sunday against the Wild maybe?).

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
We all love Mrazek, thrilled with his win a few days back but I've been waiting to get Gustavsson in there for some time now. I've been a fan of his for awhile, have seen most all of his games since he debuted in the league. I'm hoping he can ease in nicely and provide Howard with some solid insurance and support.

Although something tells me if he loses his first game, it will be all keep Mrazek up jump the gun around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad