Hans Jonsson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do any of you guys remember this guy? He played 4 seasons for this team.

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Might seem like a odd thread to ask about a random swede, but i have a great intrest for unknown old school swedish players so i would like to get some opinions on this player if its okay.

pp21.jpg

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Not physical.

Not overly offensive.

A very very very very...very..average defender during a time where being a defender took considerably less skill than today. And still only managed four seasons of play on a team full of scrubs.

Eli Cash

Apr 7, 2004
Buffalo, NY
He was the last pick in the 1993 draft. He was no Hornqvist. He was pretty mediocre to bad, but those teams were never known for their defense anyway.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Jonsson was the dead last pick in the draft and ended up as maybe the 4th best D on a middling to bad team which was so unserious about D that it would give NHL contracts to AHL players solely on account of them having a big shot (Ignatjev, Serowik, Jackman) or just teach a right wing defense because we had 4 better right wings (Moran) and no natural D even close to deserving to dress for a game who already weren't. Jonsson played defensive positional hockey with no edge and wasn't particularly good at it.

In my opinion, Hans Jonsson would be very unlikely to make the NHL these days. The scraps we've brought up the last few years (Ruhwedel, Chorney) are all a lot better than he was and I can think of no current GM as dismissive/cavalier about the importance of the position as Craig Patrick.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but in the history of Swedish hockey, Jonsson doesn't merit so much as a footnote.

Edit: Jonsson was okay at shotblocking. I wouldn't call him a pioneer, but he might have been slightly ahead of the curve on that front (and only that front).

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Jonsson was the dead last pick in the draft and ended up as maybe the 4th best D on a middling to bad team which was so unserious about D that it would give NHL contracts to AHL players solely on account of them having a big shot (Ignatjev, Serowik, Jackman) or just teach a right wing defense because we had 4 better right wings (Moran) and no natural D even close to deserving to dress for a game who already weren't. Jonsson played defensive positional hockey with no edge and wasn't particularly good at it.

In my opinion, Hans Jonsson would be very unlikely to make the NHL these days. The scraps we've brought up the last few years (Ruhwedel, Chorney) are all a lot better than he was and I can think of no current GM as dismissive/cavalier about the importance of the position as Craig Patrick.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but in the history of Swedish hockey, Jonsson doesn't merit so much as a footnote.

Edit: Jonsson was okay at shotblocking. I wouldn't call him a pioneer, but he might have been slightly ahead of the curve on that front (and only that front).

Do any of you guys remember this guy? He played 4 seasons for this team.

What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Might seem like a odd thread to ask about a random swede, but i have a great intrest for unknown old school swedish players so i would like to get some opinions on this player if its okay.

pp21.jpg

Like 90% of Penguins defensemen between 1997 and 2004. Poo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The issue in that era was we had no good d-men to shelter the lesser guys into more effective roles. First pairing was Kasparaitis - Moran, and the system sucked (or more accurately there wasnt one), and that just exposed everyone else. Jonsson became a bit of a meme as I recall, because of the combo of his mediocrity and always being a throw-in in trade proposals as if he had significant value.

Reactions: billybudd

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Weird how memory can cheat us from reality, before reading this thread i though Hans Jonsson was a good Dman. After reading it i remembered (aaargh!) how bad was our D back then and understood why i thought he was good.

Compared to the other Pens Dmen, he was... actually good.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He really wasn't that bad. I remember him having a good first pass and a decent heavy, low point shot. I wanna say he still used an entirely wooden stick. Not physical but blocked a lot of shots as I recall? But ideally he'd be have been like a #6 on a good D-corps.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
after reading these post's I'm starting to remember all the money I wasted on tickets to see them, and why I've tried so hard to forget. :)

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Jonson 22 points in 2001 was the most for pens d-men that season. This was during the time between Hatcher and Tarnstrom where the Pens had no defencemen that could provide much scoring other then Jiri Sleger every now and then.

The Pens want to 5 forwards on the power plays and even late in game if they were down a goal they would put Kovalev on Defence on regular 5 on 5 shifts to have some offence on the back end.

Reactions: EightyOne

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I can't believe there is not more praise for Hans "Elbow Grease" Jonsson.

My lasting memory of him is that there was a period of time where he endured a series of elbow injuries and infections the likes of which had not been seen before or since. Let's not forget his partner on the ice, Janne "Legend" Laukkanen.

[And then the fire sale.] Those were some ugly, ugly years. Dark times. Dark. Oh God... Oh God, NO! It's all flooding back now... next week's threads to include:

Ross Lupaschuk
Michal Sivek
Rico Fata
Ramzi Abid
and more.

This is not healthy. I need to stop.

Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad