Confirmed with Link: Hanifin Signed to a 6 year contract ($4.95M AAV)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hanifin is better then Stone already, not sure that's a good comparison. close to 5 with where the NHL cap situation is at is just fine for what Hanifin currently is.
Hanifin is better offensively but worse defensively than Stone. Hanifin is a better skater, but Stone is more physical. They are both currently 4-5 defensemen. Hanifin is a 3-3.5 million dollar defenseman right now, hes being paid for potential.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Hanifin is better offensively but worse defensively than Stone. Hanifin is a better skater, but Stone is more physical. They are both currently 4-5 defensemen. Hanifin is a 3-3.5 million dollar defenseman right now, hes being paid for potential.

Stone is much closer to a 5-6 than he is to a 4-5, whereas Hanifin is more in the 3-4 category than 4-5.

Stone is not really close to Hanifin in terms of on ice value

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Stone is much closer to a 5-6 than he is to a 4-5, whereas Hanifin is more in the 3-4 category than 4-5.

Stone is not really close to Hanifin in terms of on ice value
In Stones's interview he highlighted the fact he worked with a power skating coach over the summer to get quicker and smoother. Even he sees the writing on the wall. If he does not get faster and more agile he is out of a job. Was it enough? Well we are about 12 days away from camp and the writing will soon be on the wall. If he did not get a step or maybe 2 quicker I think he is in danger of being the 7th d-man.

In exit interviews Tre likely told Stone just that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In Stones's interview he highlighted the fact he worked with a power skating coach over the summer to get quicker and smoother. Even he sees the writing on the wall. If he does not get faster and more agile he is out of a job. Was it enough? Well we are about 12 days away from camp and the writing will soon be on the wall. If he did not get a step or maybe 2 quicker I think he is in danger of being the 7th d-man.

In exit interviews Tre likely told Stone just that.
If you listened to Pascall discussing guys fighting for jobs, he mentioned 5 guys (Andersson, Kylington, Prout, Kulak and Valimaki, the latter he essentially said will be an AHLer but will probably see "some time" in the NHL due to injuries). That tells me Stone's job is not in jeopardy heading into camp.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you listened to Pascall discussing guys fighting for jobs, he mentioned 5 guys (Andersson, Kylington, Prout, Kulak and Valimaki, the latter he essentially said will be an AHLer but will probably see "some time" in the NHL due to injuries). That tells me Stone's job is not in jeopardy heading into camp.

In Pascall's interview, he said the 5-6-7-8D are open. Then he went into detail regarding the AHL'ers, because that's his responsibility.
While I think Stone's job is safe, because AHL players on ELC's have to really outperform players being paid NHL money to get their job... I wouldn't say his job is completely safe if he lays an egg in camp.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In Pascall's interview, he said the 5-6-7-8D are open. Then he went into detail regarding the AHL'ers, because that's his responsibility.
While I think Stone's job is safe, because AHL players on ELC's have to really outperform players being paid NHL money to get their job... I wouldn't say his job is completely safe if he lays an egg in camp.

I would think Kulak's job is at risk, especially with Andersson up and coming. Could see Stone around for another year, but they may want to flip him at the draft once Andersson proves himself, and either Kulak or Valimaki takes the #5D spot next season.

Reactions: Rubi

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Stone’s job is 100% safe. He’s making $3.5 million. If anything he’ll get sheltered, favourable match up’s to boost his trade value. It’s a contract that has to be moved by next year and you can’t achieve that by burying him.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Stone’s job is 100% safe. He’s making $3.5 million. If anything he’ll get sheltered, favourable match up’s to boost his trade value. It’s a contract that has to be moved by next year and you can’t achieve that by burying him.
I completely agree.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would think Kulak's job is at risk, especially with Andersson up and coming. Could see Stone around for another year, but they may want to flip him at the draft once Andersson proves himself, and either Kulak or Valimaki takes the #5D spot next season.
I agree with this too.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Stone isn't going to lay an egg in training camp. The possibility of this happening is extremely remote.... About the same as JG being traded.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Veterans don't lose their jobs in camp. When was the last time a regular from the season before (that wasn't at the bottom of the totem pole) lost their job in camp? Stone could lose his job over time, but coming into camp he is 100% safe.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

I'd argue Hanifin's skating is the thing that separates him into another tier of dmen. Anyways, I don't really care, the contract is solid.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd argue Hanifin's skating is the thing that separates him into another tier of dmen. Anyways, I don't really care, the contract is solid.
It will be, I have no doubt. But your claim that it's a good deal if he doesn't improve is unequivocally wrong.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Veterans don't lose their jobs in camp. When was the last time a regular from the season before (that wasn't at the bottom of the totem pole) lost their job in camp? Stone could lose his job over time, but coming into camp he is 100% safe.

Oh, in Calgary, we're well aware of Veteran's not losing their jobs in camp. Hell, even PTO vets get contracts before youth on this team :laugh:

Well, I don't even remember a time Calgary had a vet lose a job. Hell, Bartkowski 'won' his job over Kulak. And there's no comparison between those two.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh, in Calgary, we're well aware of Veteran's not losing their jobs in camp. Hell, even PTO vets get contracts before youth on this team :laugh:

Well, I don't even remember a time Calgary had a vet lose a job. Hell, Bartkowski 'won' his job over Kulak. And there's no comparison between those two.
I didn't state Calgary, show me any example. I'm willing to bet you can't find any and if you do they will be few and far between. It's just not how the league operates. Veteran regulars need to be outplayed in season to lose their jobs. A big part of this is camp and exhibition games are different for youth and veterans. The kids are in camp what, a week and a half earlier? Sometimes already playing in rookie tournaments, so they are more up to speed. Also they have to prove what they can do in camp, so they have to go balls out, with a veteran regular, they've proved themselves for years and are using camp to get up to speed, adjust to new systems and get to know new teammates. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but like it or that, that is how it is.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I didn't state Calgary, show me any example. I'm willing to bet you can't find any and if you do they will be few and far between. It's just not how the league operates. Veteran regulars need to be outplayed in season to lose their jobs. A big part of this is camp and exhibition games are different for youth and veterans. The kids are in camp what, a week and a half earlier? Sometimes already playing in rookie tournaments, so they are more up to speed. Also they have to prove what they can do in camp, so they have to go balls out, with a veteran regular, they've proved themselves for years and are using camp to get up to speed, adjust to new systems and get to know new teammates. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but like it or that, that is how it is.

I don't really follow other teams' races. So I can only comment on Calgary.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tbf, Kulak had a pretty terrible camp. Kylington was much better from what I remember

Kulak has an unimpressive camp. Bartkowski with an unimpressive career, so it evens out.
I mean, Janko won a spot in camp last year, but we had to make sure we had room for Tanner Glass, Troy Brouwer, Garnet Hathaway and the rest of the merry bunch to make the team :laugh:

It's crazy last year that we wonder why we struggled with scoring... essentially more than 1/4 of our lineup was made up of 4th liners or worse.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Peters will take one look at Stone realize he adds nothing but a bloated salary to this team and take Kylington, Andersson and Vali (and Kulak) over him.

Stone was dog shit last camp, he was dog shit all last year and he'll be dog shit this year. He'll make the team, but by New Years will be eating popcorn/traded.

How anyone can defend Stone blows my mind; he is slow, he loses EVERY single puck battle, he never uses his stick to defend, he uses his body to defend which ends up in holding and interference penalties galore, he can't clear the net because he doesn't use his stick, he can't box guys out properly because he is too slow and guys just move around him, he can't make an outlet pass, he can't shoot a puck because his slap shot takes 4 seconds to get off, he is responsible for the OT goal against Anaheim in the playoffs years ago because his on-ice awareness is awful, he lets opposing players gain the zone constantly.

Name one thing this goofball does well, one thing. I like him as a person, I ain't shitting on him for that (because some monkey on the forum accused me of calling out his character).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh look, JPeeper losing his mind over Stone again. It must be a day of the week that ends in "day".

Posters are allowed to dislike players :popcorn:
I mean, there are a couple guys I can think of on this forum, that if you posted this exact same thing by changing the poster and player, it'd be like world war 3 in terms of flaming.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Oh look, JPeeper losing his mind over Stone again. It must be a day of the week that ends in "day".

I won't stop until Stone is gone from the Flames. My mission is simple.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad