Confirmed with Link: Hanifin Signed to a 6 year contract ($4.95M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Haha. Looks like Hanifin was interrupted at the movies once again:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/hollywood-ending/c-29990807

"The moment Noah Hanifin heard the news from agent Pat Brisson on June 23 that he'd been dealt to the Flames, he was at home in Boston, at a local Cineplex, about five minutes into a screening of Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom.
Well, there's obviously something about the magic of the movies …

"You're not going to believe this," laughed the freshly-signed Hanifin, long distance late Thursday. "I'm in Tampa Bay right now with Auston Matthews and some guys - Charlie McEvoy, Kyle Palmieri - at a camp. We skated this morning and - I'm not making this up - I was a movie theatre this afternoon when I talked to Pat, my agent, about the deal being done. I swear to God.

"Yes, again.

"We were watching Mile 22, with Mark Wahlberg. I told my dad later: 'How wild is that? Isn't that the weirdest thing?'

"I have good luck with movie theatres, I guess."
What a bum! Doesn't he know that you're supposed to turn your phone off while at the movies?

Reactions: mondo3

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What a bum! Doesn't he know that you're supposed to turn your phone off while at the movies?
Nah, just turn it to silent. No one turns their phone all the way off these days.

I remember once I had twin nephews born while I was at a movie with my wife, and my pocket was vibrating pretty much non-stop with family members trying to get a hold of me by every mode of communication you can put on a smartphone.

When you're a pro hockey player and you're rich, you probably can get away with pulling your phone out and looking at it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can't wait for this season to start.
The top 6/7 looks great.
The top 12 looks great.
The coach sounds great.

Can we not have to make excuses for like one year please?

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Me too. Coaching is the one thing that makes me the most nervous though. Still not 100% sold on Peters. Gully and his coaching theories left a bad taste in my mouth. Really scared that with Peters it will be the same old same old. Same theories and the same result??

Reactions: Cyrano

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I wanted a 3 year deal, but at this AAV, I can handle the 6 year deal. This is very team friendly.
I think it's a good compromise. It's team friendly, but still well paid. If he never becomes a true top pair guy, that' a fantastic contract for him. If he does, it's a great one for the team.

He is also UFA at 27. Which, assuming he does well here, and wants to stay here, we get to sign him with 3 under 30 years left. A lot of those third contracts are going to be 29-30 year olds, so if we sign him to another 6-8 year deal eventually, the entire deal isn't in his 30s.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Me too. Coaching is the one thing that makes me the most nervous though. Still not 100% sold on Peters. Gully and his coaching theories left a bad taste in my mouth. Really scared that with Peters it will be the same old same old. Same theories and the same result??

Well Peters enjoys employing the D to be active and trusting players based on actual skill and need rather than experience. Peters plays a more riskier possession game but that should achieve much better results with our core.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A lot of Flames articles and interviews this summer have made reference to putting players in a position in which they can thrive. The Gully era was probably a trying time for a lot of guys in the room. I remember recently reading an article where you got it straight from the horse's mouth that Brodie was more comfortable on the right. Imagine his frustration...

Peters and Treliving have watched a lot of game tape that probably went back to the Hartley years. I have no doubt in my mind that Peters will try his best to manage the team in a way that will benefit as many as possible. I'm still nervous when it comes to the chemistry side of things just because we have so many new pieces, but I do think we're in better hands

Reactions: Janks

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
We have Hanifin and Lindholm locked up for 6 years at $500K less than Johnathan Toews.

This is the best start to the morning I could have asked for.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Peters has never coached like Gully. Watch the World Championships when he has some talent to work with and you will see how the Flames will be coached.

You will notice activate defensmen, forwards rotating back to the blue line, quick transitions out of the zone and pressing in the offensive zone. He coaches very similarly to Babcock in Toronto. The desire for a right and left shot centers on a line. Like Babcock look for match-ups that are most favorable to the team not just one line. He demands the most out of his players but in the same breath he puts the player in a position to thrive.

Gully and Peters have little in common. Gully's largest flaw was he and his coaching staff were in the office too much and not out with the guys. With Peters the Flames have a coaching staff that will be with the players. More actual hands on attention and a little less x's and o's.

Peters should do well here in Calgary. It will probably take 30-45 days for the flames to turn into a raging inferno but it will be there much quicker than with Gully.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Okay give me an Matthew Tkachuk 6x8 and I will do anything you want be to do B-rad

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think it's a good compromise. It's team friendly, but still well paid. If he never becomes a true top pair guy, that' a fantastic contract for him. If he does, it's a great one for the team.

He is also UFA at 27. Which, assuming he does well here, and wants to stay here, we get to sign him with 3 under 30 years left. A lot of those third contracts are going to be 29-30 year olds, so if we sign him to another 6-8 year deal eventually, the entire deal isn't in his 30s.
Agreed. I think in fantasy land, the ideal 3rd contract for a core player ends at age 33/34 (although the fantasy land contract would be for an RFA at 25/26), so UFA at 27 is pretty solid. That way you're not experiencing too much risk in the contact, but it goes late enough into the player's career that his numbers have likely started to dip and will suppress the money you need to pay him if you want to sign him to a retirement contract.

A UFA in late 20s is expensive, but it's still likely a better value bet than one in his early 30s.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
the contract wizard strikes again, wow, zero reason to hate this contract. If Hanifin never improved it'd still look ok.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
En Francais, c'est Hani'fin.

Peut-etre.

Disclosure: My French isn't very good.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
the contract wizard strikes again, wow, zero reason to hate this contract. If Hanifin never improved it'd still look ok.
No, it wouldn't be a good contract at all. As it stands he's probably on a 3.5 million D-man, borderline top 4 like Stone. But, I have little doubt Hanifin will continue to grow as a player

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No, it wouldn't be a good contract at all. As it stands he's probably on a 3.5 million D-man, borderline top 4 like Stone. But, I have little doubt Hanifin will continue to grow as a player

Even currently Hanifin and Stone aren't anywhere near the same tier... Hanifin destroyed his comp 5on5 albeit sheltered. Stone even when sheltered got manhandled at times. I don't hate Stone as much as some fans here do in fact I think he's still a solid #5, but there's no way Stone is a borderline top 4.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Hanifin and Stone aren't even close to being comparable players.
Nothing about their games is comparable, correct, if one ignores their place in their teams lineups last season. The only way someone would do that though is if they are intentionally being obtuse and argumentative.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now I like this deal. Give me another couple of years and I'll be able to tell you whether or not I love it.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Right now I like this deal. Give me another couple of years and I'll be able to tell you whether or not I love it.
Good way to word that Rubi. I love the potential of the deal, but time will only tell if it becomes the steal we think it will.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Hanifin is better then Stone already, not sure that's a good comparison. close to 5 with where the NHL cap situation is at is just fine for what Hanifin currently is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->