Hand Check

hckyguy14

Legal?

I know if your behind chasing a guy, you can't put your hand on his shoulder, you'd be called for holding.

But say a guy is in front of you, you take a closed glove and hit/shove him via the shoulder. Or he beats you, but has he goes by, you take a closed glove and and hit/shot his shoulder.

Legal?

Or would a penatly be called?

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I take it this is in "noncontact" beer league hockey, eh? If so, I like to employ the punch to the hip when in close quarters (around the net). Throws the guy off and very rarely can they get set to rip a quality shot. Ref can't see it, and it's not a cheapshot, you're simply getting defensive positioning to prevent a goal.

funktasticblues93

Jun 3, 2006
st. louis mo.
i'd say as long as it's a quick hand to the shoulder, and you don't follow him the whole way with your hand up there, all that is, is stepping up on your man give him a bump and take him out of the play. Of course i've seen some (from what i thought great defensive plays) called and i've seen them not called, so with the nhl who knows, in my mind completely legal

RangerSteve

Make it quick, and keep your fist to the center of the body. i think anything higher they may call a potential rough. I know I end up playing both defense and forward in a 'non-contact' league, and if anything it looks more like a shove. If you're a defenseman I suggest using this. I keep a lot of guys away from the net than I use to.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If a ref sees you shove him to the point that it moves him they will call a penalty, use enough strength to disrupt a shot or a pass but don't knock him off his skates, i would hit the arm personally.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I take it this is in "noncontact" beer league hockey, eh? If so, I like to employ the punch to the hip when in close quarters (around the net). Throws the guy off and very rarely can they get set to rip a quality shot. Ref can't see it, and it's not a cheapshot, you're simply getting defensive positioning to prevent a goal.

Yea I use this and it's a great tool, anything to throw off the opponents balance. I use this in both zones, although not quite a "punch" it's effective when moving around a defenseman, put the puck out wide and as you go buy a little push on the hip will throw them off and you can blow buy.

The whole key to not getting called is the keep the arm close to your body, any extension of the arm will greatly increase the likelihood of a penalty being called.

If a ref sees you shove him to the point that it moves him they will call a penalty, use enough strength to disrupt a shot or a pass but don't knock him off his skates, i would hit the arm personally.

Another good move, from behind/the side anything to adjust the position of the hands and elbows will throw the player off. A nudge to the elbow or tricep area works very well.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Legal?

I know if your behind chasing a guy, you can't put your hand on his shoulder, you'd be called for holding.

But say a guy is in front of you, you take a closed glove and hit/shove him via the shoulder. Or he beats you, but has he goes by, you take a closed glove and and hit/shot his shoulder.

Legal?

Or would a penatly be called?

Illegal, roughing would be the call.

BleedBruins

Feb 5, 2003
weston, ct
Visit site
Rob,
I think the straight forward stiff arm is fine in either NHL or "beer league".
The rest is interference.

Actually, in the beer league its the preferred method since you can't check him. You've done the hard work of staying in front of him and slowed him down. Its the beer league equivalent of a solid check in my mind.

The other stuff should be eliminated by skating better and then squeezing them off gently into the boards, shoulder to shoulder. Its definitely an art, as some beer league guys don't show enough respect for a defensemen's restraint.

Or getting after his puck control with some taps to the shaft.

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
well, this all would be true under the "new" rules......problem is, they have almost totally backed away from making these calls.

all evidence from the last months games that ive seen at the Tank, indicates that we are back to the 03-04 season........

skaters are being pushed, and interfered with, with no penalties being called.

i think some of it has to do with the players actually using less of the tactics, and the rest a quiet edict from the league to gradually cut down on these types of calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad