Prospect Info: Hampus Melén

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm surprised we didn't go for who the Leafs drafted, Andreas Johnson. Don't really know much about him but he had 54 pts in 42 games with Frolunda's J20 team. Played 7 games with the big club too.

no.95

Apr 27, 2006
Guess he'll move to HV71's superelit or play in the Swedish div.1 following Tingsryds relegation. Would have preferred Wallmark though.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Anybody know what makes him "special"?

He's Swedish, already has a better playoff beard that Toews and seems to have a "whacky" personality based on his facebook page.

That's about all I got; he *is* a 7th round pick. Dunno how special they're supposed to be. Maybe Hakan will talk eventually.

Chall

Aug 12, 2011
Sweden
I actually know this guy, or know about this guy rather.. We're from the same town so we know some of the same people. I didn't think he'd get drafted but if any team was going to take him, it was gonna be Detroit.

Could be a Datsyuk-type player, although that is unlikely. It kind of depends on how serious he takes hockey now and in the future and how he copes with putting on more weight, but he is skilled, no doubt about that.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I actually know this guy, or know about this guy rather.. We're from the same town so we know some of the same people. I didn't think he'd get drafted but if any team was going to take him, it was gonna be Detroit.

Could be a Datsyuk-type player, although that is unlikely. It kind of depends on how serious he takes hockey now and in the future and how he copes with putting on more weight, but he is skilled, no doubt about that.

Yeap, he sounds like our kinda guy. It's a 7th round pick; we'll be excited if he becomes *anything* really.

Congrats on your hometown producing a draft pick! :) (Though not sure how big it is, I live in Toronto which produces about 10 draft picks a year for example) :)

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
This video is linked to his Eliteprospects profile, don't know if it's actually him but looks like it's quite old:

Does anyone know if the kid plays center?

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Every time I believe a pick to be hand chosen by Hakan Andersson I get giddy with excitement. I'm giddy with excitement. These are the kinds of draft picks that trigger my "steal" alarm.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I'm guessing Melén is another in the J.Samuelsson, Bodin mold.... huge busts with just a tiny chance of working out.

Okay but to be fair, even assuming he absolutely never does anything in hockey from here on out: he is a 7th right? Pretty much impossible to be a huge bust.

Maybe a waste of time, but "bust" doesn't apply when picking 199th does it?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Okay but to be fair, even assuming he absolutely never does anything in hockey from here on out: he is a 7th right? Pretty much impossible to be a huge bust.

Maybe a waste of time, but "bust" doesn't apply when picking 199th does it?

But you don't want to throw away 7th rounders either, you always want them to become zetterbergs, ericsson's etc

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
But you don't want to throw away 7th rounders either, you always want them to become zetterbergs, ericsson's etc

I really can't argue with this point at all. Yes, this is definitely what I always want as a fan; pretty sure it's what the front office wants too when they draft the kid.

So what you're saying, if I am understanding you correctly is: "I don't think this kid has the kind of swing for the fences potential I would have preferred in a 7th round Hakan pick"? Honest question, I'm a little confused (not news, I'm aware).

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I really can't argue with this point at all. Yes, this is definitely what I always want as a fan; pretty sure it's what the front office wants too when they draft the kid.

So what you're saying, if I am understanding you correctly is: "I don't think this kid has the kind of swing for the fences potential I would have preferred in a 7th round Hakan pick"? Honest question, I'm a little confused (not news, I'm aware).

Yeha this kid is just awkward and not intruiging as some other 7th rounders, like just recently, alexei marchenko.

I'd rather want them to draft the over-aged/over-looked/rural-russian-kids/etc with the 7th rounders.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
look on the bright side, once Drew Miller's trainer get's a hold of him, he'll get to about 160 lbs or so. same size as Miller.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I smell jealousy. :help:

OT: I like this pick. If he pans out we have ourselves a skilled guy. If he doesn´t, well, it was a 7th round pick...

Plus, we have the market cornered on goofy Swedish kids who have a Toews beard, play ball hockey and post amusing photos with novelty glasses.

Take that Boston!

I dunno, kid seems fine to me but I'm not going to pretend I have a real clue what makes some 7th round picks succeed and so many others fail. I assume we check back in 4 years and if we still have a player it's all bonus from there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mindfly how many times do I have to tell you. 7th round picks are never busts. They are long shots to begin with. 90% of them never see the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad