Hampus Lindholm is good (more accurate thread title)

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lindholm is also a much better skater than Maatta. He is terrific at closing the gap, and is, in my opinion, the second best skater on the team.

Lindholm is definitely a better skater than Maatta and has significantly better top speed, as well as being slightly bigger.

Yeah OP is going crazy here...

And do you watch Lindholm any? Because I could literally describe Lindholm in the exact same way. Other than the lack of physical abilities. Lindholm packed on a lot of muscle over the summer and is now much harder to knock off the puck.

I didn't say that Maatta's positional game is weak. It's well above what you see in players his age. Look around any time I mention Maatta, he's one of the best young D-men in the game. Along with guys like, again, Lindholm, Ekblad, Jones, Trouba, Rielly. Those ilk. He's absolutely among that group, but I've seen a fair share of Maatta last season and this one, and Lindholm is just a bit better at positioning.

I don't have any problem with someone saying Lindholm is better than Maatta is now, as I think they are pretty close and I have always been impressed with Lindholm's game. However, Lindholm does not have better overall positioning. Maatta is already the Pens best Dman on the PK (6 GA in his career 4v5 while playing 130 minutes in that situation) solely due to his positioning and anticipation. For example, despite not being anything close to physically imposing, Maatta is incredibly effective along the boards as he will read the flow of the play and open up his body in one direction against an opposing forechecker to get to puck to an open outlet. I think that Lindholm is a very smart player and has a good sense of where to be on the ice but isn't quite on Maatta's level in that regard.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
I'm not sure how Trouba has better tools. :dunno:

Lindholm is the better skater, and I think he has a higher hockey IQ. Trouba might be better at some things, but a blanket statement like that seems pretty misleading.

Lindholm might be a better lateral skater, but Trouba looks faster in a straight line. Skating is one of his best attributes. IQ is pretty close, I can't really point to either player. But I think Trouba's offensive ceiling is higher. He is physically stronger and has a significantly better shot than Lindholm.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lindholm might be a better lateral skater, but Trouba looks faster in a straight line. Skating is one of his best attributes. IQ is pretty close, I can't really point to either player. But I think Trouba's offensive ceiling is higher. He is physically stronger and has a significantly better shot than Lindholm.

More active physically. I'm not sure he's actually stronger.

Lindholm is definitely a better skater than Maatta and has significantly better top speed, as well as being slightly bigger.

I don't have any problem with someone saying Lindholm is better than Maatta is now, as I think they are pretty close and I have always been impressed with Lindholm's game. However, Lindholm does not have better overall positioning. Maatta is already the Pens best Dman on the PK (6 GA in his career 4v5 while playing 130 minutes in that situation) solely due to his positioning and anticipation. For example, despite not being anything close to physically imposing, Maatta is incredibly effective along the boards as he will read the flow of the play and open up his body in one direction against an opposing forechecker to get to puck to an open outlet. I think that Lindholm is a very smart player and has a good sense of where to be on the ice but isn't quite on Maatta's level in that regard.

Gonna have to agree to disagree then. Especially the whole he's not on his level. It's close if nothing else. Not a difference in levels.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Many Ducks fans think he has already or will surpass Fowler as our best defenseman.
His ceiling is incredibly high, but saying he's the best in any category is probably a stretch considering he's got less than 120 NHL games under his belt.

Edit: obligatory main board homer post- IMO he will be the best defenseman from his draft class.

A draft that also features Ryan Murray, Morgan Reilly, and Jacob Trouba?

Yup, that's a homer post for sure.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
He rendered Taylor Hall useless last night, that's for sure.
Also, tired of my fellow duck fans trying to be unbiased, Lindholm is the best dman from the 12' class so far. He's the best defensemen on the team this year and it's not close
Well we have to act unbiased or else everybody would think that we think like Brian Hayward

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

No, it isn't. Right now only Trouba has an argument for being better than him. Murray needs to be healthy first, before he can really put together a real argument, and Rielly just isn't as good right now. Saying Lindholm will end up the best isn't a homer post.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He rendered Taylor Hall useless last night, that's for sure.
Also, tired of my fellow duck fans trying to be unbiased, Lindholm is the best dman from the 12' class so far. He's the best defensemen on the team this year and it's not close

Lindholm wasn't the guy Boudreau matched against him. Fowler was.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe a touch premature to say he'll be the best but it's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. By all accounts you can have that opinion about either him, Trouba, Rielly, Murray, or Maatta and not be lacking some kind of foundation to make such a claim.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Maybe a touch premature to say he'll be the best but it's not out of the realm of possibility by any means. By all accounts you can have that opinion about either him, Trouba, Rielly, Murray, or Maatta and not be lacking some kind of foundation to make such a claim.

Absolutely. I'm not about to say he's the best, but to be fair that isn't what DigitalSea said. He said he thinks he will be the best D of the class. That isn't a homer post. Not with what Lindholm has accomplished so far. He absolutely deserves to be in that discussion right now. More so than Rielly does, at least. Murray has been good, but it's difficult for him to really put together an argument when he's had some injury issues. Trouba is the only one that, I think, you can really argue has been better, and if he has been it's a pretty slim margin.

For that poster to suggest that Lindholm doesn't even deserve to be in the discussion, and then to name Rielly of all players(not to slight Rielly, but he has definitely not been as good as Trouba, Murray, or Lindholm. Or Maatta for that matter), is a homer post in itself.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Lindholm
Trouba
Murray
Reilly

One of these is not like the others...

You list Reilly as an example of a player that is better then Lindholm. Reilly is averaging the 5th most icetime on the Leafs at 17 minutes a game. Trouba and Lindholm are playing top pairing minutes (Murray would be if he wasn't hurt), Lindholm on the #1 team in the NHL... Yup.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Reilly and Trouba have more highlight reel upside but overall Hampus is just so smart. I think he and Murray will end up better in the long rund. In the end, who was better in their prime Scott Stevens or Scott Niedermeyer? That's what it is to me. All of them are or will be cornerstones for their teams.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't like main board threads about Ducks players but since it wasn't a Ducks fan posting it it's ok I guess.

He's already our number one defenseman. Provided he doesn't regress he should keep that role going forward. He and Trouba are the best two young defensemen in the league and IMO will be the best two players to come out of the 2012 draft class.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
That Lindholm does great is not a suprise to me at all, he has been a stand out since his days in Sweden, at least when I watched.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What I like most about him is his work ethic. He's got that machine-esque mentality when it comes to training, just like the old Forsberg, Lidström & Alfredsson did. Many swedes these days don't have that.

jferguson

Jun 6, 2012
Calgary AB
He is very good and I almost always prefer when he is on the ice. Lately his D partners concern me quite a bit but I just hope the puck is coming up Lindholm's side.

That being said, his zone clearing needs a lot of work. Very panicked and often leads to loss of possession.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn't call it VERY panicked

Lindholm
Trouba
Murray
Reilly

One of these is not like the others...

You list Reilly as an example of a player that is better then Lindholm. Reilly is averaging the 5th most icetime on the Leafs at 17 minutes a game. Trouba and Lindholm are playing top pairing minutes (Murray would be if he wasn't hurt), Lindholm on the #1 team in the NHL... Yup.

It makes more sense to compare Rielly to Vatanen anyway

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wouldn't call it VERY panicked

It makes more sense to compare Rielly to Vatanen anyway

Rielly is more of a long term potential player. His tools are off the charts but he's not at the level of a Lindholm/Trouba yet - he's still very raw. And Vatanen has 4 years on him - I don't really see him and Vatanen being that comparable outside of them both being offensive defensemen. Rielly is a much better skater, is bigger and isn't anywhere near as aggressive. Vatanen has a much better shot and is better on the PP.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Even though I love Magnus and think he's Anaheim's best over all defenceman, I feel that you are overrating his skating.

It's not that good. His backward skating/pivoting great, but the rest of his over all skating isn't as good as some people make it out to be. My subjective opinion.

Well above average, but not great.

I'll be glad to change my opinion if someone can make a fair case :)

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't like main board threads about Ducks players but since it wasn't a Ducks fan posting it it's ok I guess.

He's already our number one defenseman. Provided he doesn't regress he should keep that role going forward. He and Trouba are the best two young defensemen in the league and IMO will be the best two players to come out of the 2012 draft class.

I am with you I prefer to not have threads started about my teams players on the main boards either but the good players will be pulled into the larger more dysfunctional family feuds. :help: The good news is even though the OP was a tad zany I think HL deserves his turn on the out of control Hype train.

The new thread title is possibly more measured but either way Hampus is in that class of talented young, two way, heavy minute, non sheltered, all situations D men and he certainly deserves to be in any conversation as far the best of his draft class.

Taking Trouba out if the equation since he is on my favorite team.... out of this draft class I like Lindholm the most, would like Murray as much if not for his injury issues which are a real concern, then I like Maatta next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->