Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think he is healthier then he has been in a long time. Imagine if Manson went back to the guy he was a couple years ago. We would have a legit top 3.

Reactions: Kalv

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
To help and shelter the young guys ?
That and he's still relatively young himself. He's also pretty much the only defenseman we have who can handle playing against top players in the league. I still maintain he is a top 10 defenseman when it comes to playing defense. And even though it would be nice if he had more offensive ability, that likely will make him not too expensive on his next deal.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
That and he's still relatively young himself. He's also pretty much the only defenseman we have who can handle playing against top players in the league. I still maintain he is a top 10 defenseman when it comes to playing defense. And even though it would be nice if he had more offensive ability, that likely will make him not too expensive on his next deal.
Fair enough, I just don’t see you guys being competitive until he hits his 30s, which is still not a bad age but was just wondering if you’d be open to trade him for some picks and prospects

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Fair enough, I just don’t see you guys being competitive until he hits his 30s, which is still not a bad age but was just wondering if you’d be open to trade him for some picks and prospects
Maybe our GM feels differently than I do. I just feel like it would be extremely difficult to find someone who can replace what Lindholm brings to the team.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

It would likely be for more than teams would want to pay. The Ducks probably haven't drafted a better d-man in their history so they'd want an impact piece back rather than a mid/late first and depth guys. There are plenty of guys that should fill the 2nd and 3rd lines/pairs, the Ducks need top line/top pair guys even if they're a few years out. I'm not sure if there's a team that would think it's worth it and have that type of asset to trade.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Hampus turns 30 in 2024. I would be really surprised if we hadn’t made it back to the playoffs before that point.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Lindholm is the last defenceman I would want to trade. Trading him would create a massive hole to fill. I would think about the return very carefully. I would want top prospects for him at the moment. Not picks, prospects who actually look promising or young players who are ready to breakout.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
How about podkolzin and a first (most likely top 5 )

I don’t think it is about the return. It is just the fact that it leaves a huge hole that the Ducks may not be able to fill for a long long time. Hampus is the best defensemen the Ducks have ever produced.

Maybe if the Ducks scouts (who I trust 100% when it comes to scouting defensemen) think that the defensemen they get with that pick is going to be better then Hampus in a couple years.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
How much, and how many years, would you be willing to give Lindholm on his next contract?

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
How much, and how many years, would you be willing to give Lindholm on his next contract?

IMO, it’s a guarantee he’s getting at least $7M per year. Seems like the going rate for top pairing Dmen at the moment, which is unquestionably what he is when healthy.

The term is a much more fascinating question given his injury history. He’s gonna get the full 8 year max, which I think is fair; I know the injury history might scare some posters and may send them into a 5-6 year length at most, but the guy is a horse and he cares about his conditioning. I think he’ll age well even if he does play a more physical game than someone like Cam.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
IMO, it’s a guarantee he’s getting at least $7M per year. Seems like the going rate for top pairing Dmen at the moment, which is unquestionably what he is when healthy.

The term is a much more fascinating question given his injury history. He’s gonna get the full 8 year max, which I think is fair; I know the injury history might scare some posters and may send them into a 5-6 year length at most, but the guy is a horse and he cares about his conditioning. I think he’ll age well even if he does play a more physical game than someone like Cam.
I would be okay with 7 mill for 8 years.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How about podkolzin and a first (most likely top 5 )

Weird. Vancouver is in a similar disposition as us, meaning a team outside looking in, especially if you're expecting a top-5 draft pick. Lindholm is a bonafide #1D. I know what we have today in Lindholm, but don't know what there will be with Pod and "supposed" top-5.

The Ducks are building from the net out. G Gibson is our elite player. The addition of Drysdale (6th overall in 2020) to Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler gives the defense much added talent. Drysdale already looks like he's a better fit for the AHL in development this year than in the OHL. Drysdale could make the jump to the NHL next year. Now that the team has found its scoring touch, they lack the capability to keep the lead. But that's because Lindholm and Manson have been out of the line up.

The reason you want Lindholm is the exact same reason the Ducks would keep Lindholm, help your team get to the playoffs sooner. You're willing to give up Pod and a top-5 pick for Lindholm to become relevant sooner, simultaneously pushing back the Ducks' time line to become relevant.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010

That would put Lindholm $250k/yr above Provorov and $500k/yr under Ekblad (going by cap hit for the average). I'm ok with that.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Trade Fowler if we have to in order to keep Lindholm. Losing Lindholm would be unacceptable, him paired with Drysdale will be so damn good.

Reactions: Deuce22 and lwvs84

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
That would put Lindholm $250k/yr above Provorov and $500k/yr under Ekblad (going by cap hit for the average). I'm ok with that.

Keep in mind that's more of just a landscape thing than a personal prediction. If you wanted a personal prediction, I think he clocks in at 7/$8M or 8/$8M AAV, which I'm cool with (he might check in closer to the $7M range if the cap doesn't go up next offseason and I think it will).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His sister plays soccer for CAL state long Beach hopefully that helps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad