Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Lacks consistency? ROFL. Does IMO mean "in my imagination"?

Yes he absolutely lacks consistency. Meaning that sometimes he looks like an elite defenseman and then other games he can't handle the puck to save his life. However, like I said, his defensive game is consistent which is why even at his worst, he's still one of our best defenseman each night, and a damn good player. However, that elite level play he shows where he just takes control of a game is not consistent, at all.

I think it shocks people when they call Hampus inconsistent because the other defenseman on our team are much more inconsistent than he is. Unless, we're talking Bieksa. He's consistent in being ass.

Edit: Is there a reason you can't discuss Hampus without being a dick?

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I’m curious what your definition of number one is? Because I think you’ll struggle to find 20 guys league wide that are better than him. .

What someone calls a "#1" is obviously important, but i don't like the "find so many players better than him argument". I think that's way too literal.
20 may be difficult, but i'm not sure I'd say there are 20 "#1" guys, at least how what i consider a "#1". Off the top of my head of guys who are what I'd call a "#1": Burns, PK, EK, Doughty, Seth Jones, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Carlson, Hedman, Suter, Weber, Josi, OEL.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but the point is that I don't think there are that many #1's, and if someone can't name 20 guys better than Hampus, I don't think that definitely means he's a #1 guy. Thinking about it, that's 13 players right there. I bet i could think of 7 more who are currently better than Hampus right now without that much difficulty.

Defensively he’s elite and offensively he’s shown he’s capable enough and with a bit of work and opportunity should be able to take a step forward in that area.
I think he’s a low end no 1 guy.
I do wish we had an elite guy like Hedman or Doughty but unless we trade for Karlsson in the offseason Lindholm is as close as we will get.
I agree with everything here except calling him a #1 already.. He's amazing defensively, our best defenseman, and our best shot at having a "#1".
It's not consistency that Hampus lacks, it's high end offensive skill.
Him and Fowler are both just pretty good offensively but not great
I think it depends on what you're trying to describe when you're talking about his consistency. Defensively? No, his defensive game and positioning are consistent. However, the consistency issues that I'm referring to in the topic of what he's defined as (1/2/3) is games where he takes control of the game, which IMO, is what makes a #1. Recent playoffs are a great example. Watch games 1 and 2 compared to game 3 with Hampus. Was a completely different player.
I think the system holds him back a bit... and the fact that he hasn't really gotten a lot of powerplay time throughout his career. Would be nice to see what hed do on a team like Toronto/Tampa etc.
I hate Carlyle and our system as much, if not more, than anyone here, but i think this is wrong. I actually think our system is better designed for players like Hampus and Manson. The only guy who is held back by our system IMO is Montour. His skill set would be a much better fit for teams like you mentioned.
He has had his opportunities with Fowler out often. He hasn`t delivered. Plain and simple
This. Carlyle's obsession with Fowler is frustrating, but let's not pretend he hasn't had opportunity to grab that spot on top unit. It's not like Fowler is very good at it. The reality is neither guy is ideal for your top PP unit.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He has had his opportunities with Fowler out often. He hasn`t delivered. Plain and simple
To be fair in the 13 games Lindholm played that Fowler didn't, Lindholm had 3 PP points in 12 games (tied with Montour as most on the team during those games) which is also pro-rated higher then Fowler's PP point totals for the season 16.75 points v 10 points (granted this is a small sample size). Despite having only 122 minutes of PP time this season he's 22nd in the NHL (1st-4th had 7, 5th-7th had 6, 8th-15th had 5 and 16th-21st had 4) for PP goals by defencemen which is pretty solid considering everyone above Lindholm had 50+ minutes more of PP time apart from Pulock who had 5 goals in 113:26 minutes of PP time.

I'm not saying Lindholm is going to be some absolute offensive force, but I'd say there is still potential to extract (and IMO he took a step forward offensively this season) and it's a bit unfair to say he just straight up hasn't delivered when in the limited time he's had on the PP, he certainly hasn't looked bad up there.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Lacking consistency offensively would be if some games he's deking by guys and creating tons of chances and other games he's a blackhole

He's never been either of those things. He's just pretty good offensively

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
My issue with Lindholm on the PP is he can't seem to pass laterally accross the blue line. Id actually be curious to see what his pass completion rates are. Ge certainly seems to have a better shot that Fowler but I wonder if his passing is actually what holds him back. Anyone know where to get that Data?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Lacking consistency offensively would be if some games he's deking by guys and creating tons of chances and other games he's a blackhole

He's never been either of those things. He's just pretty good offensively

I don't think it's specifically being consistent offensively. I'd he say he's inconsistent with the puck. When he's "on", he's controlling the game back there. He doesn't hit that level consistently enough to call him a #1, IMO. Often, he's fumbling the puck, and not doing much with it when he has it. However, rarely does he have bad defensive games, which makes him our best defenseman. My point is that in order for him to be a #1, he needs to be more consistent with the puck and not just be a great defensive defenseman.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
To be fair in the 13 games Lindholm played that Fowler didn't, Lindholm had 3 PP points in 12 games (tied with Montour as most on the team during those games) which is also pro-rated higher then Fowler's PP point totals for the season 16.75 points v 10 points (granted this is a small sample size). Despite having only 122 minutes of PP time this season he's 22nd in the NHL (1st-4th had 7, 5th-7th had 6, 8th-15th had 5 and 16th-21st had 4) for PP goals by defencemen which is pretty solid considering everyone above Lindholm had 50+ minutes more of PP time apart from Pulock who had 5 goals in 113:26 minutes of PP time.

I'm not saying Lindholm is going to be some absolute offensive force, but I'd say there is still potential to extract (and IMO he took a step forward offensively this season) and it's a bit unfair to say he just straight up hasn't delivered when in the limited time he's had on the PP, he certainly hasn't looked bad up there.

I think that's too small of a sample size to read anything in to (I know you did mention that). I think the point is that Hampus can't beat out Cam, who isn't that great on the PP either, when you consider his competition, if he was that good on the PP, he'd be there. The reality is neither are great options for the top unit. Both are mediocre at best. I think the 2nd unit is a better fit for Hampus personally. His best attribute on the PP is getting pucks through. That works best on a unit that keeps it simple.

My issue with Lindholm on the PP is he can't seem to pass laterally accross the blue line. Id actually be curious to see what his pass completion rates are. Ge certainly seems to have a better shot that Fowler but I wonder if his passing is actually what holds him back. Anyone know where to get that Data?

Hampus's shot is much better than Fowler's. He's also much better at getting it through. Cam's strengths are zone entry and keeping the puck in the zone. Zone entry is really the only thing he's great at though. He's much better when allowed to rove like Nieds did, but he's always stapled to the blueline so ideally you have a better option there than both he and Hampus.

With the current team, ideally Montour gets better at zone entry and he and Hampus are on the top unit. Until then, you go with whichever is doing better at the time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think that's too small of a sample size to read anything in to (I know you did mention that). I think the point is that Hampus can't beat out Cam, who isn't that great on the PP either, when you consider his competition, if he was that good on the PP, he'd be there. The reality is neither are great options for the top unit. Both are mediocre at best. I think the 2nd unit is a better fit for Hampus personally. His best attribute on the PP is getting pucks through. That works best on a unit that keeps it simple.

Hampus's shot is much better than Fowler's. He's also much better at getting it through. Cam's strengths are zone entry and keeping the puck in the zone. Zone entry is really the only thing he's great at though. He's much better when allowed to rove like Nieds did, but he's always stapled to the blueline so ideally you have a better option there than both he and Hampus.

With the current team, ideally Montour gets better at zone entry and he and Hampus are on the top unit. Until then, you go with whichever is doing better at the time.

Idk that he cant beat out fowler... RC just likes fowler more it seems... fowler gets 2+mins more than lindholm, 1 min more at even strength even tho lindholm is the much more superior player.... and you could argue Lindholm generally has the better partner(granted when Montour is on that's not as true). I think the sample size is too small from either perspective... and both fowler/lindholm both have things that they do much better than the other 1, like ive said on many occasions id like to see fowler play to his strength(skating) on the powerplay and do more of a rover role(like you mentioned). Id like to see them look for more back door plays to fowler where he sneaks down from the point, and I wouldn't mind seeing him challenge defenders with his skating to open up other options, I think fowler could be a good player maker on the powerplay based on his skating alone but I don't think we use him correctly other than getting the zone.

I don't really have a preference between them on #1 unit... but I think overall it just depends what the teams plan on the powerplay is... and I think our power play has a serious identity problem... its just a very ugly powerplay for a team that has a good amount of skill to throw out on the ice.

Reactions: Trojans86

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

He was on the first unit for a few games, put up a couple of points then was demoted back to the second in favor of 4 forwards. I would hardly call that opportunity.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

That’s my complaint with him on the PP as well, his shot and ability to get it through are better than Cams but his passing is a bit off sometimes and he fumbles the puck too much too.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Lindholm is much better at getting his shot through than Fowler. Our d are generally horrible at getting shots through but Hampus is one of our better ones. Fowler probably our worst. I think RC just likes Fowlers ability to skate and handle the puck better than Lindie, which keeps us in the zone. Id prefer a d than can create chances with his shot like Burns. Seems to me most good pps have a good d shot or wing shot on it.

Reactions: Duck Off

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Lindholm is much better at getting his shot through than Fowler. Our d are generally horrible at getting shots through but Hampus is one of our better ones. Fowler probably our worst. I think RC just likes Fowlers ability to skate and handle the puck better than Lindie, which keeps us in the zone. Id prefer a d than can create chances with his shot like Burns. Seems to me most good pps have a good d shot or wing shot on it.

Rip vatanen

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Remember this article about Hampus in 2016?

How Anaheim's Lindholm is changing the way we judge D-men - Sportsnet.ca

maybe we should re-visit this line of thinking

on and then there's this 2017 article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/anaheim-ducks-hampus-lindholm-underrated-defenseman/

Reading these posts makes me think the Ducks didn't have a good enough defense with Lindholm. The team finished 3rd in GA and GA/G rate. What exactly am I missing here? I know our goal tenders played a good part on goals against, but we were playing without some key players for a long while. We had Derek Grant as our 1C. LoL

Hampus is a different type of defenseman.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Idk that he cant beat out fowler... RC just likes fowler more it seems... fowler gets 2+mins more than lindholm, 1 min more at even strength even tho lindholm is the much more superior player.... and you could argue Lindholm generally has the better partner(granted when Montour is on that's not as true). I think the sample size is too small from either perspective... and both fowler/lindholm both have things that they do much better than the other 1, like ive said on many occasions id like to see fowler play to his strength(skating) on the powerplay and do more of a rover role(like you mentioned). Id like to see them look for more back door plays to fowler where he sneaks down from the point, and I wouldn't mind seeing him challenge defenders with his skating to open up other options, I think fowler could be a good player maker on the powerplay based on his skating alone but I don't think we use him correctly other than getting the zone.

I don't really have a preference between them on #1 unit... but I think overall it just depends what the teams plan on the powerplay is... and I think our power play has a serious identity problem... its just a very ugly powerplay for a team that has a good amount of skill to throw out on the ice.

I think it's very fair to say that Fowler gets a longer leash with RC than Lindholm does. I think labeling it as he just likes Fowler more is unfair though. The reason they put Cam back on the last time was because there was a few games where on PP couldn't gain entry unless we dumped it in. My point is that if Lindholm was better, or at least clearly better, than Cam on the PP, he'd be there because Cam isn't very good on the PP.

I think both are very even when it comes to the PP. Cam's a better passer, holding the puck in, and entering the zone. Lindholm has a better shot, and is much better at getting his shot through. Ideally Montour gets better at entering the zone, which should let us use Hampus on top unit more. If we can gain the zone on the PP through a different player, I'd prefer Lindholm be on top unit out of the two. Now if they allowed Cam to rove, like we both said, it changes things, but I have zero faith that it would happen.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Lindholm makes an indirect chirp about our coach.

Article in Swedish (used Google Translate hope link is ok)
Google Translate

Swedish quote from Lindholm
"– Om man jämför med de i Nordamerika så är han mycket mer positiv. Man får släppa lös och spela mer. Han litar verkligen på att man klarar det. Det blir väldigt roligt att spela då, säger Hampus Lindholm."

My crappy translation - Lindholm is talking about our coach in the national team, Rickard Grönborg
- If you compare with the North American coaches, he is much more positive. You get looser reins and get to play more. He really trusts that you can manage it. It becomes fun to play then, says Hampus Lindholm"

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Lindholm makes an indirect chirp about our coach.

Article in Swedish (used Google Translate hope link is ok)
Google Translate

Swedish quote from Lindholm
"– Om man jämför med de i Nordamerika så är han mycket mer positiv. Man får släppa lös och spela mer. Han litar verkligen på att man klarar det. Det blir väldigt roligt att spela då, säger Hampus Lindholm."

My crappy translation - Lindholm is talking about our coach in the national team, Rickard Grönborg
- If you compare with the North American coaches, he is much more positive. You get looser reins and get to play more. He really trusts that you can manage it. It becomes fun to play then, says Hampus Lindholm"
Not really saying anyrhing we didn't already know. When BB first came the players talked about how it was fun to come to rink again. Also you would expect a bit more control over players in the NHL over a international competition. There is a lot of money in the NHL and guys livelyhoods are affected by wins and losses. That goes beyond the roster. These international comps guys are playing for national pride. As far as I know there isn't any meaningful monetary compensation to drive players or coaches.

Reactions: Kalv

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
So, what did he say?
Nothing too interesting
-Normal training day in the offseason is gym from 9:30-1 or 2
-Wants to get stronger/quicker for next year
-Likes Marty Wilford (new assistant) a lot, says he's a positive guy
-Plays FIFA, CoD and LoL
-Kopitar is the toughest player to defend
-Likes the number 47 because it's more unique