Hamonic who?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Anybody wishing that the Flames #4 d-man was still in the lineup? What with how protected the players are in the bubble do you think Hamonic made the right decision to opt out? Was it a blessing in disguise for the team?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Anybody wishing that the Flames #4 d-man was still in the lineup? What with how protected the players are in the bubble do you think Hamonic made the right decision to opt out? Was it a blessing in disguise for the team?

Great person, but the game is definitely passing him by. Hanifin and Andersson is far more effective.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
When he was injured in the regular season, our defense was at their best because the coaching staff wasn't tempted to play Hamonic in the 2nd pairing over Anderssson.

Hamonic's an amazing guy and a warrior but his best days are long gone

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I sure wish that Treliving had been able to trade Hamonic. I have to assume that he was trying.
I hate seeing a player walk at the end of his contract and we get nothing back... even a 3rd or 4th round draft pick is better than nothing.
I'm pretty sure that Tre will re-sign TJ unless he's asking for an outrageous amount.

Hanifin and Andersson have been superb. They are obviously, at least to me, the #1 pairing in waiting. Losing Hamonic really has been a blessing in disguise to both Hanifin and Andersson... particularly Hanifin.

I think that Hamonic made a mistake in walking away from the team and refusing to play in these bubble playoffs. Frankly, I think he's a lot less likely to contract Covid-19 in the bubble than he is while living at home. Sure... that means his wife has to look after two kids without her husband but a lot of NHL players wives are doing that and there's always family to look to for help. Isn't family one of the big reasons that he wanted to be traded to a western Canadian team?
I think walking away, especially if the Flames do well in the ploffs, will hurt him in free agency.... although that's probably not that important to him.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Hamonic the person is amazing, the player not so much. I hope our play without him has shown Treliving that we don't need him going forward and instead we re-sign Brodie.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Would prefer him in the lineup over Forbort for sure. But Hanifin/Andersson probably wouldn’t be a thing if that were the case

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Would prefer him in the lineup over Forbort for sure. But Hanifin/Andersson probably wouldn’t be a thing if that were the case

He is a definite upgrade on Forbort, but on bottom pairing minutes its not that noticeable. We will however notice it if there is an injury.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hammer has got some tough miles on him. Frankly he never really provided much more than bottom pairing quality defense outside of a few weeks here and there. The Hanifin-Hamonic pairing wasn't good in any zone.

I do think he deserves some credit for how Andersson has developed so I can't consider the trade for him as a total loss. I didn't like it at the time and never really thought he was worth it. I would probably prefer a Gus-Hamonic bottom pairing over Forbort-Gus though.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
He is a definite upgrade on Forbort, but on bottom pairing minutes its not that noticeable. We will however notice it if there is an injury.
Only caveat being that Forbort wasn’t playing 3rd pairing minutes in a couple of the games against the Jets. Was up at around 18-20 a few times.

But yes, theoretically if they were both playing limited minutes the trade off is probably not a huge deal

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hammer is doing what is right for his family and that is the most noble of causes.

You guys are talking all talking about banged up Hammer of the last 2 seasons. Hammer when healthy has been amazing here in Calgary. THat said it has been a rare thing of late.

I am happy with the kids but if Hammer was playing right now our D would be even better.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hammer is doing what is right for his family and that is the most noble of causes.

You guys are talking all talking about banged up Hammer of the last 2 seasons. Hammer when healthy has been amazing here in Calgary. THat said it has been a rare thing of late.

I am happy with the kids but if Hammer was playing right now our D would be even better.
He would probably be a step up on Forbort.

He would not be a step up on Andersson, which is exactly who he would replace.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I wonder if he will retire? Covid will be about the same through the 2020-21 season and there will be no safe hubs.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We will slide him a ring as a show of good faith, but no I don't miss him one iota.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can see the Jets signing him.
I wouldn't be surprised at that now that you mention it. They desperately need capable d-men and Winnipeg would be an attractive place to Hamonic to finish his career at.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Let another team pay him this offseason, I get why he didn’t go to the bubble... but also this is the safest spot for these players to be honest.

Great soldier, but like soldiers, are pawns in the grand scheme. Calgary shouldn’t offer him more than a 2x2 kind of deal and let a team pony up 5+ for his services.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I said in a previous thread. I think hammer gets close to a 3x3 and Brodie a 6x6.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I said in a previous thread. I think hammer gets close to a 3x3 and Brodie a 6x6.
I doubt Hamonic would accept 3x3... although if he does and that's an offer by the Flames, I'd be ok with that. Its not like the Flames have competent RD RHS d-men growing on trees.
If Brodie wants 6x6 I'd let him walk. 5x5 would be ok with me.
I don't expect to see BOTH players wearing Flames colors next season. One or the other... or neither.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
he can come back as a 6th or 7th dman for a couple millions if he wants

i bet he rather retire but some idiot is going to overpay for him. hopefully Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad