Hamonic vs McDonagh

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Hamonic is not wayyy better than a second pairing defenseman on a playoff team, albeit borderline playoff team. (When your goalie is your "playoff team", I don't put much stock into being a "playoff team")

With that said, Hamonic has the higher ceiling, the higher skillset, and the projection to be a first pairing d-man. To say the same about Mcdonaugh would be a little foolish at this point.

I disagree with this. The Rangers had a solid defense (better than it has been in probably a decade) this season and scored just enough goals to get in while battling a plethora of injuries (I believe they had three times as many man games lost as they did last season when they didn't make it). Hank had a great season but he didn't do it alone

I think McDonagh and Sauer where the X-factors that pushed the team over the playoff/no playoff line (just barely). Both led the Rangers in +/- ... McDonagh was a +16 in just 40 games and Sauer a +20 in 76. Both rookies playing 18-19 minutes a game

I'm not sure what kind of offense he'll be contributing in the future, but he's going to be a rock on defense (hell, he is already).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pot, meet kettle. Your posts drip of Ranger blue and red and it makes anything and almost everything you say borderline awful.

I'm not getting involved in this debate, only because I know better.

You're as lovely as always, PW. I'm more critical of the Rangers than most Rangers fans out there. Your own petty bias against me is "borderline awful" but truly laughable.

Zeroknowledge*

Hamonic, to me has star potential, while I see Mcdonaugh more as a solid #2 or 3.

I'd take Hamonic as of now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Both are very solid players in their own regard. Two different style of defensemen, but both are high end prospects.

I also see the slight digs at McDonagh, while nothing negative was said about Hamonic, but that aside I think it is a valid debate.

I think Hamonic is the sexier of the two (not in a weird mancrush way!) when it comes to potential. We all love big hitters and booming shots, and Hamonic has shown glimpses of what he one day can become. I really like the kid a lot, and think he will be a fantastic defensemen for many years to come.

But, players like this sometimes look sexier then what they truly turn into. So much talent, size, shooting, ability, etc. but for whatever the reason, there are guys that just never put it all together for an entire career.

I think Hamonic will be just fine, but he certainly has more of a risk factor imo as a player that may not live up to potential. Again not a slight on Hamonic at all, I think he is the better of the two, but sometimes guys like this just never reach what we all thought they would.

As for McDonagh, what he accomplished was something amazing this year as well. Second pairing dman on a playoff team as a rookie says a lot about his talent. McDonagh isnt going to blast home double digit goals, or lay people out along the boards. His bread and butter is his excellent skating ability, his outlet passing, and his poise; all things he excels at.

I think McDonagh may wind up in the league longer then Hamonic but that is based of playing styles more then anything. These are both very talented young men that hopefully both reach their full potential. But for now I would say Hamonic is the better of the two, but McDonagh might have the better overall career, and at the end of the day, thats what it is all about.

IslesBeBack*

You're as lovely as always, PW. I'm more critical of the Rangers than most Rangers fans out there. Your own petty bias against me is "borderline awful" but truly laughable.

:naughty: How are things over in Gotham Jonny?

The last thing I want to do is go down a road where the extremists come out. That's why it's hard to really step in this thread without being a homer.

McDonaugh was fantastic in the playoffs, Hamonic was not there. But you can't use that as the foundation for your argument.

So don't. That's all I'm sayin'

IslesBeBack*

Star potential? I see Hamonic having the potential to be a solid #2 where as McDonagh has around the same. I don't see start potential at all in either of them.

Hamonic stepped in and was one of the Islanders best defenseman during a time they put up the fourth highest win percentage for almost 3.5 months in a season.

Stop.. being.. biased. It can't hurt to say the kid has the goods.

Jesus. Do I need to wack you over the head with some Kool Aid!!!!!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The game that I watched that impressed me was the game the Rangers/Islanders game played after the Rangers beat NYI 6-3.

On 3/31 the Islanders spanked the Rangers 6-2 and Hamonic was +4 with 3 shots and played an overall impressive game.

I don't get watch teh Islanders much, but when I do, I like what I see in this kid.

I'm not going to choose as I would prefer to have both.

Hamonic seems to be what the Rangers fans hope McIlrath developes into.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Hamonic stepped in and was one of the Islanders best defenseman during a time they put up the fourth highest win percentage for almost 3.5 months in a season.

Dude...just stop. I remember when you were bashing every Islander player in the middle of December, and now you're praising each and everyone. You're an embarrassment to real Islander fans.

To say Hamonic has #2 potential is being biased? :huh: What if he was a Maple Leaf fan, would it be bias then? Is the only way he's not "being biased" if he lauds him with praise he does not deserve, in his eyes? That's your excuse for disagreeing with him, and being unable to come up with reasons why.

I personally think both of these players have "star" potential - albeit, I would be surprised if either hit that potential. Does that mean I'm being "biased" against Hamonic for not thinking he's going to be a "star", or whatever you labeled him as? It doesn't.

IslesBeBack*

Dude...just stop. I remember when you were bashing every Islander player in the middle of December, and now you're praising each and everyone. You're an embarrassment to real Islander fans.

To say Hamonic has #2 potential is being biased? :huh: What if he was a Maple Leaf fan, would it be bias then? Is the only way he's not "being biased" if he lauds him with praise he does not deserve, in his eyes? That's your excuse for disagreeing with him, and being unable to come up with reasons why.

I personally think both of these players have "star" potential - albeit, I would be surprised if either hit that potential. Does that mean I'm being "biased" against Hamonic for not thinking he's going to be a "star", or whatever you labeled him as? It doesn't.

To say a prospect like Hamonic, after the workload he assumed at 19 years old, is "just a number 2 in potential" when compared to someone like Mcdonaugh is a joke.

So glad you joined in. This should be great. I'm done here.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
To say a prospect like Hamonic, after the workload he assumed at 19 years old, is "just a number 2 in potential" when compared to someone like Mcdonaugh is a joke.

So glad you joined in. This should be great. I'm done here.

Nah man, you're being biased. "When compared to someone like McDonagh"? What are you insinuating? That McDonagh isn't "worthy" of being compared to the oh so great Travis "Jesus" Hamonic?

And he's 20, 21 in August. Not 19, but nice try. :laugh:

Zuccarello Awesome*

PatientlyWaiting is and has been the biggest troll on these boards for years now. Nothing but snide, arrogant comments and can't bare to see anyone else make a valid point about an Islander or Ranger. Then, he'll end his shallow posts with "I'm not going to get into this debate" after already getting into it. Followed by, "I'm done here" only to post again 5 minutes later. Only PW watches all 82 games. Only he knows the truth. Don't try to level with him.

The fact is, the jury is still out on BOTH players. Both are already very good at what they do, but only time will tell how much more they develop. Give it AT LEAST two more seasons before you declare anything. Look at Michael Del Zotto. 37 points as a rookie, great PPQB, hard-hitting, outstanding outlet pass. Lots of people, myself included, thought he'd improve upon that number and upon his play in general. Then, he lost his confidence and flopped in his second year and got sent down. Rangers fans are hoping he bounces back, but nothing is a sure-thing. That's why you can't make wild projections based on a rookie season, let alone LESS than a full season. Silly thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This will turn into a pissing match because I don't think they're nearly the same player.

Hamonic will be a serviceable offensive defenseman, but his strength is his mean streak and hitting ability on defense. I think Hamonic's points are decieving because in 3 years with a healthy Streit and developed De Haan (Isles fans hope) he will not see that PP time that he did this year and thus might never have as statistically good of a year as he did this year.

McDonagh will be a reliable defensive defenseman who will jump into the rush more than Hamonic. Ryan will also probably be considered a better all-around player than Hamonic.

But at least Stepan and Bailey had very similar games before the NHL, so those threads had a point...
i think he will still be getting pp time, he has a bomb of a shot and his outlet pass is terrific so im sure he'll get powerplay time. i dont see how ryan will be considered a better all around player..

i wonder what the next thread will be. grabner vs kreider? :naughty:
Please. He was a second pairing d-man on a playoff team.

They are very, very close. It's about as close as you can possibly get, really.

---------------------------

I'd take McDonagh simply because of his skating. I think that will be what separates them when both hit their potential. He will be a top five skater in the league (probably close to it right now). His stride truly resembles Scott Niedermayer's.

Really, you couldn't go wrong with taking either. Hamonic could very well end up being the better player when all is said and done. But since I see them as such similar guys? I'll take the elite skater over a guy who is only a pretty good skater. But I would love to have both on this team any day. And I feel that, really, skating is such a slight, slight edge here.

This is really a case of the Rangers will stick with their guy and the Islanders with their guy.
thats the only area i take mcdonough over hamonic. shot? hamonic. physicality? hamonic. outlet pass? both great but ive seen more of hamonic over mcdonough, so i choose hamonic. leadership, smarts... hamonic too.

i agree with the last statement but i dont know why the rangers wouldnt take hamonic over mcdonough. comes down to personal preference i guess.
Winners

Islanders for getting Hamonic in the 2nd round

Rangers for getting McDonaugh for Gomez

The only losers here are the Canadiens to be honest

i agree!!

:handclap:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The premise of this thread isn't what starts the flame wars, it's the way some posters respond to posts that don't praise their prospect to Heaven and beyond. Just because someone doesn't think your prospect is going to be the next coming of Raymond Bourque (or insert whatever former all-star player you want), doesn't mean they "don't know anything" or "need to watch the games", or any other such HF meme.

Both defensemen have had strong rookie seasons. Both appear to be on their way to having solid, potentially good, careers. Just because someone happens to think Defenseman A won't ever be a #1 defenseman, doesn't mean they "don't know anything" or "need to watch the games" more closely. It just means that, in their opinion from viewing them, they don't see that upside in the player.

Of the two, I'd take Hamonic. Both guys are still work-in-progresses, and have some ways to go before either is a legitimate top pairing blueliner on a contender. However, just based on what they've shown thus far, I just prefer Hamonic's skillset to McDonagh's.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I don't think one player is significantly better than the other.

The difference ultimately boils down to which player suits which team best. Teams operate differently, and have a preference or void which one of these guys could excel in.

I'll take the tougher guy who has a rocket on this specific Rangers team, over McDonagh. Teams that want a little more transition and speed from their back-end would probably prefer McDonagh.

This thread really shouldn't turn into a pissing match considering the comparison is pretty fair.

Although, I think both fanbases could use a nice pissing match. It is the off-season for us, after all!

Stepan > Bailey ~ Callahan > Okposo

Muahahahahah !

:sarcasm: ;) :laugh:

:razz:

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
The game that I watched that impressed me was the game the Rangers/Islanders game played after the Rangers beat NYI 6-3.

On 3/31 the Islanders spanked the Rangers 6-2 and Hamonic was +4 with 3 shots and played an overall impressive game.

I don't get watch teh Islanders much, but when I do, I like what I see in this kid.

I'm not going to choose as I would prefer to have both.

Hamonic seems to be what the Rangers fans hope McIlrath developes into.

This is pretty accurate. What a pairing these 2 would make..
I think they both have top pairing upside but play a different style game, both are very valuable.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
thats the only area i take mcdonough over hamonic. shot? hamonic. physicality? hamonic. outlet pass? both great but ive seen more of hamonic over mcdonough, so i choose hamonic. leadership, smarts... hamonic too.

McDonagh's pass is the better of the two. Hamonic is more physical. Leadership is a wash. Smarts is a wash as well (McDonagh's hockey IQ is through the roof).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

What is wrong with you? Like, do you have an issue here or something?

Stop being biased? I simply said I don't see star potential in Hamonic. I don't know why I would see star potential in him. I see star potential in a guy like Doughty. Not Hamonic. I see very good potential in Hamonic.

I guess your definition of a star is a lot easier to attain than mine.

And you think I'm the one being biased. :sarcasm:

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
Although, I think both fanbases could use a nice pissing match. It is the off-season for us, after all!

Stepan > Bailey ~ Callahan > Okposo

Muahahahahah !

:sarcasm: ;) :laugh:

:razz:

Ok.. I will bite..

Stepan I will take over Bailey. Stepan is the more cerebral player who seems to "get it". Bailey has "lost it" and may never "get it" from his junior days. The Isles rushed Bailey and it shows. He should have stayed 2 years in juniors like Stepan stayed 2 years in college and develop his game. Bailey has the better size, better skating and skills but as mentioned Stepan just produces.. I will take the player who just produces.

Callahan vs Okposo. Wow. real close. All I can say is I think the Isles would like Okposo to be as valuable to the Isles as how valuable Callahan is to the Rangers once Okposo turns Callahan's age. Callahan is a heart and soul guy who can produce if healthy around 50-60 points (perhaps more). I see Okposo doing the same.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I will try and provide an unbiased opinion here.

I love Hamonic. He hits like a truck, blocks a ton of shots, and still puts up points. Everyone can agree that Hamonic stepped up huge for the Isles this year and he will be given every opportunity to increase his role next year.

McDonaugh, I say has been underwhelming to me. Maybe it is because I thought he was a pure offensive d-man who didn't put up a lot of points. I also do not watch too many Rangers games, so I don't know if he was being used on the top PP unit or not.

Either way, I believe that Hamonic will fulfill his potential whereas McDonaugh will not. However, that is not a knock on Ryan because he was highly touted, so if he becomes 2/3rds of the dman he could be he is still a very good player. Like many have said, he is very smart and is a great skater. Attributes like that make it very easy for you to reach your potential, so he likely carves out a very good 2nd pairing PMD role.

All depends on your teams needs, and it always will.

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI

Yep, better off just tossing him on ignore.

Dude is insanely bi-polar. Isles win 5 in a row and they are on the road to being cup contenders, Isles lose 5 in a row Tavares is a dissapointment and the whole team sucks.

As far as this comparison goes...

I give Hamonic a slight edge offensively, and I give McD a slight edge defensively. Hamonic brings some more grit and will drop the gloves from time to time. And McD is a bit smarter in the defensive zone.

It's a wash for me.

Last edited:

LyNX27

I'm going to assume not many people saw McDonagh in UW-M and say that next year, expect to see a more physical McD. He was on a bit of a leash, probably both from the coach and himself personally it looked like. Very exciting time to be a ranger fan with some of the prospects we have, specifically that not many of the fans saw when they were the big fish in little ponds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->