Hamonic vs McDonagh

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Simple question who in your opinion is better now and who will be better in the future?

Hamonic: 20 years old, 6'2 215 drafted in 2nd round 2008 by the NYI.

Ryan Macdonaugh: 21 years old will be 22 next month 6'1 210 drafted in the 1st round (12th) 2007 by the Habs

They both completed their rookie NHL seasons starting off with a cup of Joe in the AHL. One played top 4 minutes on a playoff squad with an All Star goalie and the other played top 4 minutes for the 4th worst NHL squad with differant d partners nightly in front of numerous goaltenders. One played (3) seasons of NCAA puck and the other played (3) seasons of major Juniors in the DUB. In the end both competitors earned the right to live their dream of playing in the NHL.

Macdonaugh:

Just to become a staple on the rangers top 4 was a major accomplishment in itself, then to solidy his spot was even more impressive for Macdonaugh. His numbers at the Ahl level were modest along with his NHL numbers but he seemed to make good decisions and not too many mistakes. Not hearing his name during the game meant he was doing his job. He has tremendous athletic ability and his skating is very strong. This leads me to believe he has hidden offensive abilities that may be uncovered one day. Some question his hockey IQ but that to me is a moot point as he sure did not look out of place and in fact got better and better as the year progressed. This 21 year old from the land of 10,000 lakes and former Mr. Hockey did not dissapoint. His top end potential is what?

Hamonic:

Hamonic was strictly drafted (round 2 in 2008) to patrol the blue line and play it tough. He learned his trade in the Dub and slowly developed into over a point a game player his third year of junior. He anchored team Canada at the WJC and then moved onto the AHL. After a short stint due to the big club being destroyed by injuries Hamonic joined the big show. Playing alongside differant partners Hamonic developed chemistry with 24 year old 2nd year D man Andy Macdonald. They quickly become the teams #1 D pair. This 20 year old from Western canada did not dissapoint as well . Hamonic is a strong skater, natural leader, physical player that learned his offensive abilities do translate at the NHL level very well. His slapper from the point was low and hard to which he got off real quick. His top end potential is what?

Who is better now and in the future? Please no ranger/Isles pissing contest ;)

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
OP really likes to make Ranger vs. Isles threads.

90% of the time these turn into pissing matches.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Very close comparison, but unfortunately, it will likely turn into a pissing contest.

They both have extremely bright futures - Hamonic is more of a shooter, McDonagh has an excellent outlet pass, and is very good at choosing his pinches correctly. And even if he makes a bad pinch, his skating is good enough to get back and break up the play about 80% of the time.

Hamonic is more like a Shea Weber. He won't be as good as him, but he plays a style pretty similar. Physically imposing, good, hard, accurate shot, a dynamic style. He seems more composed, though, in his play. You won't notice him as much as a Weber.

It's too close to call for me, and if I was FORCED to choose, I'd probably take Hamonic. I think that says a lot about him, considering I'm a monstrous McDonagh homer. See sig. :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
seriously haha

hamonic easily for me, but that doesnt mean i dont think mcdonough is bad, i think hes great, just not on hamonics level.

Please. He was a second pairing d-man on a playoff team.

They are very, very close. It's about as close as you can possibly get, really.

---------------------------

I'd take McDonagh simply because of his skating. I think that will be what separates them when both hit their potential. He will be a top five skater in the league (probably close to it right now). His stride truly resembles Scott Niedermayer's.

Really, you couldn't go wrong with taking either. Hamonic could very well end up being the better player when all is said and done. But since I see them as such similar guys? I'll take the elite skater over a guy who is only a pretty good skater. But I would love to have both on this team any day. And I feel that, really, skating is such a slight, slight edge here.

This is really a case of the Rangers will stick with their guy and the Islanders with their guy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
OP really likes to make Ranger vs. Isles threads.

90% of the time these turn into pissing matches.

The OP is an Islanders homer who gets his jollies on slagging on Rangers prospects. Notice the subtle digs at McDonagh's hockey IQ (which shows how little the OP knows about him) and his production while mentioning nothing negative at all about Hamonic. It's his way of trying to portray himself as unbiased, when he is about as far as possible from that.

gotmonte

Feb 2, 2010
New York
McDonagh. he is EXACTLY what the Rangers needed. Islanders Need Hamonic as well. But I think McDonagh is the better FIT of the two for each team.

(i am unsure if I explained myself correctly)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hamonic is a little more proven at the NHL level but both are great young Dmen. Obviously I pick Hammer, but I'd like to see a poll added and Ranger/Islander fans agreeing to not vote at all.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hamonic is a little more proven at the NHL level but both are great young Dmen. Obviously I pick Hammer, but I'd like to see a poll added and Ranger/Islander fans agreeing to not vote at all.

I think most would choose Hamonic simply due to the fact that he played more games and was a bit more visible than McDonagh was. After next season we will know a lot more, and, IMO, it would be a really good time for such a poll. Let both kids get in full seasons.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think most would choose Hamonic simply due to the fact that he played more games and was a bit more visible than McDonagh was. After next season we will know a lot more, and, IMO, it would be a really good time for such a poll. Let both kids get in full seasons.

Hamonic is going to be the go to guy on the Islanders, and McDonagh will be on the 2nd pair as long as Girardi and Staal stay Rangers.

They're equal players, but Hamonic will be receiving much more minutes in every situation.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
Both are good young defenseman. Tough to decide. Flip a coin.

What a steal of a trade by Sather on getting McD... lol

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
The OP is an Islanders homer who gets his jollies on slagging on Rangers prospects. Notice the subtle digs at McDonagh's hockey IQ (which shows how little the OP knows about him) and his production while mentioning nothing negative at all about Hamonic. It's his way of trying to portray himself as unbiased, when he is about as far as possible from that.

Yep, I remember his Stepan vs. Bailey threads.

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
This will turn into a pissing match because I don't think they're nearly the same player.

Hamonic will be a serviceable offensive defenseman, but his strength is his mean streak and hitting ability on defense. I think Hamonic's points are decieving because in 3 years with a healthy Streit and developed De Haan (Isles fans hope) he will not see that PP time that he did this year and thus might never have as statistically good of a year as he did this year.

McDonagh will be a reliable defensive defenseman who will jump into the rush more than Hamonic. Ryan will also probably be considered a better all-around player than Hamonic.

But at least Stepan and Bailey had very similar games before the NHL, so those threads had a point...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've probably seen at most 8-10ish McDonagh games with the Rangers, and more like 5ish Hamonic games with the Isles, and haven't been truly concentrating on either guy in any of those games, so I can't comment with too much confidence on either one. From my limited viewings Hamonic seems a lot more noticeable on the ice though, big shot with a physical/nasty edge, doesn't even mind throwing down it seems. I can see where the Shea Weber comparison comes from, though obviously I doubt he'll be that good. McDonagh seems like the smoother skater, who plays a more mistake free game, decently physical too (though less physical than Hamonic), but in the handful of times I've seen both players McDonagh has not stood out as much (to me at least). If forced to chose I'd take Hamonic based on what I've seen.

Last edited:

IslesBeBack*

Pot, meet kettle. Your posts drip of Ranger blue and red and it makes anything and almost everything you say borderline awful.

I'm not getting involved in this debate, only because I know better.

IslesBeBack*

Hamonic is waaaayyyyyyyyy.... better

Hamonic is not wayyy better than a second pairing defenseman on a playoff team, albeit borderline playoff team. (When your goalie is your "playoff team", I don't put much stock into being a "playoff team")

With that said, Hamonic has the higher ceiling, the higher skillset, and the projection to be a first pairing d-man. To say the same about Mcdonaugh would be a little foolish at this point.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
I was very impressed by Hamonic in the last few games of the regular season. Scoring, Physicality, standing up for your team mates :nod:. But I have no idea how good McDonagh is, so I will skip this pissing contest.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Both of these defensemen are GREAT! I know these kinds of threads come up and become a "pissing match" and the truth is, only time will tell. I think both of them have bright futures in the NHL....... nuf said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad