Confirmed with Link: Hamonic traded to CGY

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Not that Calgary is expected is to be bad next season by any means, but does anyone know if the first rounder is protected in anyway? (Top 10, lottery, etc?)

they were a playoff team. Now they could fall a bit who knows.
i would guess somehwere between 9 and 20

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
No doubt in my mind Hamonic still secretly between he and Snow still had a trade request. In all his interviews he's saying how happy and exited he his and he can't stop smiling. Not much mention of being sad to leave the isles or it's a shock to be traded.

He knew for a long time he was eventually going to be traded. Give him and Snow credit. Hamonic credit for not wanting to handcuff Snow and the isles into getting no value for him. And give Snow credit for finding a western Canada team that was interested in Hamonic and getting decent value.

I don't think Snow ever Intended to trade Hamonic to Toronto or Tampa. Toronto was making a strong push but my gut tells me he was using the leafs to get all he could out of a deal with the Flames.

I couldn't believe I was watching the same Hamonic, I know the trade is fresh and all but compared to his on air persona in Long Island , wow.

In comparison, he seemed miserable here. He specifically mentioned Western Canada and his Wife. This is Snow doing a veteran Islander a huge favor.

I am excited to see Hamonic healthy and happy, could do wonders for his game and he is joining an amazing D - Corps.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I couldn't believe I was watching the same Hamonic, I know the trade is fresh and all but compared to his on air persona in Long Island , wow.

In comparison, he seemed miserable here. He specifically mentioned Western Canada and his Wife. This is Snow doing a veteran Islander a huge favor.

I am excited to see Hamonic healthy and happy, could do wonders for his game and he is joining an amazing D - Corps.
He was a farm boy living in the big city. Some players like that, some don't. I think he's wanted out ever since they signed Boychuk. He's just what Calgary needed.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Could happen. I still do not like the trade. We moved a NHL ready Defender for hope

Only think I will say is if he really didn't want to be here the move is not as bad as if we just moved him for the sake of moving him. If last year's play was any indication how homesick he is Snow did the right thing

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Only think I will say is if he really didn't want to be here the move is not as bad as if we just moved him for the sake of moving him. If last year's play was any indication how homesick he is Snow did the right thing

I disagree here with you. Even if he really wanted to go. We should have been able to turn it into NHL Ready players.
We cant just keep drafting. At some point you need players to go out and win. No more well in 4 years we may have something special here.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I disagree here with you. Even if he really wanted to go. We should have been able to turn it into NHL Ready players.
We cant just keep drafting. At some point you need players to go out and win. No more well in 4 years we may have something special here.

I agree. Snow must turn those picks (or some other assets) into a player(s) that help the team NOW. We cannot go into next season losing impact roster players and having only picks to show for it. That would be a major step backward.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hamonic:
Wish him well!

The return:
Gotta think those picks will be made use of for help.

But keep in mind that many in the scouting community - and I concur - feel the 2018 draft is HUGE.

That means these picks will have more value than usual.

Snow is in a great trading position, but he's gotta bring in the right improvements. If they aren't there, then they aren't there.

As mentioned in other threads, I don't believe Duchene is the 'right' improvement. If it were 2014, then hell yes, but not now.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Watch next year be the year Calgary wins 2 rounds(and that pick being 28th or 29th)

Looking at it from the opposite direction. I now have a 2nd favorite team and it's Calgary. I Would not say that if he was traded in the east.
I hope they win 4 rounds and bring home the cup unless it's the Isles they play in the finals . Then I only want them to win 3 rounds .
You probably would have to go back to the days of Ziggy Palffy to find a home grown prospect respected this much .
This team was always JT and TH's
team the way I looked at it .
He deserves whatever he wants
And I hope he finds it. Nowhere to go but up once you leave our franchise . If JT doesn't sign up to stay maybe there is another trade ahead with Calgary .

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hamonic:
Wish him well!

The return:
Gotta think those picks will be made use of for help.

But keep in mind that many in the scouting community - and I concur - feel the 2018 draft is HUGE.

That means these picks will have more value than usual.

Snow is in a great trading position, but he's gotta bring in the right improvements. If they aren't there, then they aren't there.

As mentioned in other threads, I don't believe Duchene is the 'right' improvement. If it were 2014, then hell yes, but not now.

I know. As much as I want a 2C, the HF prospect hoarder in me is kind of hoping that we somehow fill that hole and keep the two 1st round picks next year. :laugh:

I guess the only way that happens is if this drags out to training camp and then Barzal absolutely kills it....

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I know. As much as I want a 2C, the HF prospect hoarder in me is kind of hoping that we somehow fill that hole and keep the two 1st round picks next year. :laugh:

I guess the only way that happens is if this drags out to training camp and then Barzal absolutely kills it....

Funny thing is, maybe it really is worth it to see if Bailey or Nelson can successfully start off the season as a number 2?

Maybe that could allow us to be competitive and see what Barzal has done in 15-20 AHL games?

Or perhaps JT's childhood buddy Gagner could be brought in as a holdover to bridge the gap and can always play RW if it doesn't immediately work out as planned.

Or maybe JT has told Garth he MUST see another legitimate topflight forward coming in here, preferably a friend, before he signs the long-term contract?

Hard to tell what Snow is thinking or facing. In JT and Cizikas, he's already got a top flight #1 and top flight #4 center. Of Nelson, Beau, Quine, and perhaps Barzal, he's technically got the makings of several #3 centers, with Beau looking perfect for that role now. Barzal looks like the ideal future #2. Bailey could be tried their again for a holdover.

In any case, these names and even the mentioning of Gagner (Hanzal is attractive to some) are options and not a one includes a trade, which ideally would include dumping Kulemin's contract.

Also going to be interesting on the blueline as things stand, especially if Toews starts pushing for a job from the rear.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Always thought he was a tad over rated by the folks around here but a better person you will not find in the entire league. I'm reserving the right to form an opinion on the deal until after I see if indeed the assets acquired are used in conjunction with other existing pieces to fill the second line center hole we currently have...I believe they will and, if so, It's fine by me.

That said, if was done in an effort to only stockpile draft picks, I won't be very happy...

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Hammer is a great guy, I hate to see him go in that sense, but I like the trade overall.

I never thought Hammer was a top-pairing guy, his offensive game was somewhat poor, and I thought the injuries started catching up to him. I think we got good value for him, it gives us flexibility in the cap, and a few assets to acquire another player.

Regardless, I'm rooting for him to get past the injuries, and have a few more solid seasons for the Flames, we won't have to see them too much, let him wreak havoc on the rest of the Western Conference!

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This may turn out to be one of the Isles best trades. Compensation. The first in 2018 became Noah Dobson, the 2nd rd pick in 2019 became Samuel Bolduc. The other 2nd was Iskhakov, jury is out on him.

But Dobson and Bolduc for Hamonic, I would take that all day, every day.

I knew we got Dobson as a result of the Hamonic trade, but that's crazy we got Bolduc too. Very nice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I knew we got Dobson as a result of the Hamonic trade, but that's crazy we got Bolduc too. Very nice.
It turned out extremely well for the Isles. Hamonic was a decent player, but Dobson has star and core franchise D man written all over him already. Bolduc, again, I want to temper my expectations, but I can't help but think Pelech with more offence and mobility under Trotz. Would be something if these 2 become the Weber/Suter combo that Trotz developed. Even if they fall a bit below this, this was a very good transaction for the Isles. Whatever the Isles get from Iskhakov is just the cherry on top.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This may turn out to be one of the Isles best trades. Compensation. The first in 2018 became Noah Dobson, the 2nd rd pick in 2019 became Samuel Bolduc. The other 2nd was Ishakov, jury is out on him.

But Dobson and Bolduc for Hamonic, I would take that all day, every day.

That's a great haul. Up there with the Reinhart heist. I have to stop saying bad things about Garth.

As the for the jury. They're about to reconvene and I believe they have a verdict.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's a great haul. Up there with the Reinhart heist. I have to stop saying bad things about Garth.

As the for the jury. They're about to reconvene and I believe they have a verdict.
Snow did some good things as a GM, he was not all bad, this trade was a good example of this. Still it took Hamonic wanting out for it for it to happen. I did look at the Iskhakov pick, I can't say there is really a player that stood out that they should have picked. I may have used the Wilde pick and packaged 2 to move up to get Romanov. But there is no guarantee the Habs would have said yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->