Confirmed with Link: Hamonic traded to CGY

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I love watching people debate what's in the head of a person they have never met.

No one knows what's important to JT except JT, his agent and maybe Garth.

So y'all need to just stop already with projecting what you guys think onto JT.

Except it has been overtly suggested by Tavares and his agent he wants to see what the club will do before signing. I know where you are coming from, but this isn't mere speculation anymore.

Tell me about.

Signed

Trollmonic who was Trollposo

<looks up name to add Troll- in front of>
I look forward to the day you have the name Trollsnowang.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Except it has been overtly suggested by Tavares and his agent he wants to see what the club will do before signing. I know where you are coming from, but this isn't mere speculation anymore.

I look forward to the day you have the name Trollsnowang.

Thinking TROLLMALKINLEDECKY

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

What he's said to the media and what he's really thinking may not be the same. Maybe he wants to see if he should give a discount to stay to get a better team (a la 87 in PIT) or just go for the $. Maybe he wants to leave. Maybe he wants all the brown M&M's out of the bowl in the locker room.

Point is only 2 people know for sure and maybe a 3rd has a good idea (Snow). The rest of us are guessing, projecting or parsing 1 or 2 sentences.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I don't know...... I've read this whole thread and I think PK's been rational and consistent in what he's said. He's right that the players all seem to like Garth and go out of their way to praise him. This has been the case for quite a while. One thing that is definitely the case- there are far more players that have spoken highly of him than have spoken ill (I don't even recall anyone blasting him other than maybe Neidereiter). Anyway, you say he hangs his hat on what "could" be the case. Well, I would argue that most Isles fans are not factoring in the grey areas of being a GM. For example, we now know that Hammer's trade request was never really rescinded. So given those circumstances I think Garth did very well for the team and got useful assets in return and at the same time honored Hamonic's request. Win win!!

One other thing that has bothered me reading the threads the last couple of days..... Perhaps the biggest rallying cry against GMGS in the Tavares era is that wee have not gotten a top flight winger for him. Well guess what? We just got it and all we gave up was Ryan Strome who was never going to find his grove here in NY. Yes, I'm aware of all the Eberle warts BUT it is a fact that he has been a top 25 NHL scorer for the last five years. And who's to say the Isles can't mold other aspects of his game? Last year Tavares became one of our best penalty killers. If you would've told me that at the beginning of last season I would've spit my coffee in your face laughing!

All in all Garth dealt with the reality the team was facing and made moves to address it. I think he did quite well considering there was some really tough decisions!

PK...I think the problem is that you seem to be hanging your hat more than most on what *could* be the case, and seemingly putting more importance on that then wins and losses - Which is the bottom line on how all GMs should be judged. That was always my debate with you.

I don't believe for a second Tavares would leave if we hired a more competent GM - No matter his relationship with snow. If Tavares is going to leave it's because of everything we've been hearing - The chance to win, which, unlike a possible relationship, we can easily see that is an issue because of snow's failures.

It's like it finally took Tavares' potential departure to get snow to wake up and try to have a good offseason. Why did it come to this? I mean if snow is such a good friend to JT, why not surround him with better talent earlier? Because again the business of hockey comes first no matter how close you are with someone.

snow seemingly had a great relationship with Hamonic and wanted to help him with his family matters (the most important thing) and yet he wasn't going to let him go with out getting a fair deal and it took over a year.

If snow drafted better, traded better, and signed better, we would be much closer to the Cup and wouldn't be missing the playoffs 8 years into Tavares' career. If snow didn't fail as much as he did then the Isles would be better and they're wouldn't be talk about him leaving.

So again it doesn't matter about if snow/JT are friends. If snow did better as a GM then all problems would be solved.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What he's said to the media and what he's really thinking may not be the same. Maybe he wants to see if he should give a discount to stay to get a better team (a la 87 in PIT) or just go for the $. Maybe he wants to leave. Maybe he wants all the brown M&M's out of the bowl in the locker room.

Point is only 2 people know for sure and maybe a 3rd has a good idea (Snow). The rest of us are guessing, projecting or parsing 1 or 2 sentences.

Too late! What do you think Weight's been chewing behind the bench? :D

I know what you mean.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
As much as I wanted Hamonic traded for the prosperity of the team, I suddenly find myself really sad with his departure. He's such a great guy;with an enormous heart. It was a privilege having him on Long Island. I hope this trade was the benefit he was seeking and wish him all the best on and off the ice going forward.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As much as I wanted Hamonic traded for the prosperity of the team, I suddenly find myself really sad with his departure. He's such a great guy;with an enormous heart. It was a privilege having him on Long Island. I hope this trade was the benefit he was seeking and wish him all the best on and off the ice going forward.

His first game back here is going to be something. I feel like people will be chopping a ton of onions that day.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Not that Calgary is expected is to be bad next season by any means, but does anyone know if the first rounder is protected in anyway? (Top 10, lottery, etc?)

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Not that Calgary is expected is to be bad next season by any means, but does anyone know if the first rounder is protected in anyway? (Top 10, lottery, etc?)

Could be wrong but fairly certain it is not protected. Thus I am strongly rooting against CGY next year, although I will want to see Hammer and Gaudreau succeed.

Although they can be good with that D, if they can't get solid goaltending (Smith is good but no star, also 35, they'll need to rely on guys like Bennett breaking out, Backlund matching his career year, none of their young forwards having any regressions, etc.

I think they may be tougher to predict than any team in the NHL. I think they will be behind EDM and ANA in their division, so will fight with SJS and LAK for 3rd in the division and the 2 WC spots.

I think it will most liekly be a 15-20 pick in the first round.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Howdy all, Leafs fan here. Just wondering how you guys feel about the return you got over the reported Leafs offer of JVR+2018 1st? I think that deal would have been very beneficial for your team over what will likely be a late 1st and a couple of late 2nds. And i understand the contract issues on JVR, it just seems that Snow took less value here. Or i suppose it could be Snow granting Hamonic's wish to go out West, just wondering which deal you guys would have chosen.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Howdy all, Leafs fan here. Just wondering how you guys feel about the return you got over the reported Leafs offer of JVR+2018 1st? I think that deal would have been very beneficial for your team over what will likely be a late 1st and a couple of late 2nds. And i understand the contract issues on JVR, it just seems that Snow took less value here. Or i suppose it could be Snow granting Hamonic's wish to go out West, just wondering which deal you guys would have chosen.

If you read this article I think it sums it up very nicely... https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dre...ade-aftermath/

NYI already has an ample amount of the skillset that JvR brings in Ladd and Lee, Hamonic's preferred destination was out West, and NYI may end up parlaying these assets into someone like Matt Duchene. JvR would not have any value to an organization like Colorado, and I doubt NYI had interest in extending JvR through his UFA years.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If you read this article I think it sums it up very nicely... https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dre...ade-aftermath/

NYI already has an ample amount of the skillset that JvR brings in Ladd and Lee, Hamonic's preferred destination was out West, and NYI may end up parlaying these assets into someone like Matt Duchene. JvR would not have any value to an organization like Colorado, and I doubt NYI had interest in extending JvR through his UFA years.

Absolutely fair, and i'm not a bitter Leafs fan as that seems like a big offer from us as well...as much as i love Hamonic.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Yep.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Absolutely fair, and i'm not a bitter Leafs fan as that seems like a big offer from us as well...as much as i love Hamonic.

On paper I think the move makes the Isles better, but this is one of those instances where there were more things to consider. I wouldn't have been upset if Snow had made either move and I applaud him for granting Hamonic his request.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I LOVED this read. Loved it. So many interesting nuggets, but two biggest to me:

• snow really wanted one of Calgary's young prospects, but they didn't budge on that
  • Toronto didn't seem to be offering either a 1st rounder and JVR or a 1st rounder at all. If they were just offering JVR that changes everything and makes perfect sense that snow didn't bite. Why...?
  • ...Because JVR wouldn't really solve a need and would most likely need to be dealt at the trade deadline...And with a 10-team NMC. That reduces his value significantly and so will be interesting to see what TML gets for him should they trade him then.
Anyway here's some more interesting parts:

“I don’t know how much influence Travis Hamonic would have had on this process, but he would have preferred to go to the West. Not saying that he didn’t want to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, but his family is from Manitoba. There’s reasons that he wanted to get closer to his family, and I think that at least in some small way, that might have factored in.

The specifics of what the Leafs fully offered the Islanders may never be known for sure, but Dreger did add this tidbit later in the conversation on TSN 1050 on Monday morning.

“This is full disclosure here: I did not dive deep into the Toronto Maple Leafs’ interest in Travis Hamonic,†noted Dreger. “I knew they were talking with Snow through my Islanders’ sources, but I just flat-out asked on Friday whether or not James van Riemsdyk was being offered, and the message that I got back from the Islanders was no.

“Now, reportedly that changed. But I’m not certain that a first-round draft pick from the Toronto Maple Leafs was ever included.
So that tells me that Toronto is maintaining its position when it comes to moving out those young pieces. There’s a big difference between trading JVR and throwing in a first-round draft pick or draft picks because that’s still developing your future.â€Â

Van Riemsdyk is 28 and has one year remaining on his six-year, $25.5 million contract. The cap hit is $4.25 million, and the winger has a modified no-trade clause through which he submits a 10-team no-trade list.

The Hamonic trade, naturally, also came up during a Monday morning segment on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 for Elliotte Friedman.

“The Leafs were definitely in,†confirmed Friedman. “And they were a team that they were definitely asking for two firsts. And then I think they talked on Friday about a bigger trade. Garth Snow and Lou Lamoriello had about a seven-minute conversation in front of all of the TV cameras on the draft floor. And then I think James van Riemsdyk came up. I’m not sure that’s something that the Islanders wanted to do – not because of anything against van Riemsdyk specifically as a player. It’s just that he’s only got one more year, and they have to kind of clear the decks a little bit right now. No. 2 is they’ve got guys like Ladd and Anders Lee, and I think they kind of felt they had that skill-set served. So they didn’t want to go there.

“I think Tampa was definitely around there, but again I think that’s probably a high draft pick thing.

“First of all, I think that Garth Snow preferred that Hamonic go West. I think if all things were equal – Hamonic was a good Islander for a long time, a very popular player – I think if all things were equal Garth was going to try to send him to Western Canada, closer to home. I do think that was a factor.

“I think the other thing too was there was a prospect that the Islanders wanted. From what I understand, the Flames did not want to lose that player. And at the end of the day, Calgary got (to give up) the draft pick instead of the player and I think they were very happy about that.â€Â

Later in the conversation, Friedman also added this observation on the Flames-Islanders swap: “From what I understand on both sides, that wa one grind of a (trade) conversation. I think both of them were glad it was over.

“I saw Garth walk over at the draft to Keith Tkachuk, who he knows really well, and he was like, ‘Thank God that’s over.’ It was pretty funny.â€Â

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No doubt in my mind Hamonic still secretly between he and Snow still had a trade request. In all his interviews he's saying how happy and exited he his and he can't stop smiling. Not much mention of being sad to leave the isles or it's a shock to be traded.

He knew for a long time he was eventually going to be traded. Give him and Snow credit. Hamonic credit for not wanting to handcuff Snow and the isles into getting no value for him. And give Snow credit for finding a western Canada team that was interested in Hamonic and getting decent value.

I don't think Snow ever Intended to trade Hamonic to Toronto or Tampa. Toronto was making a strong push but my gut tells me he was using the leafs to get all he could out of a deal with the Flames.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I have no emotional attachment to Travis Hamonic. He's no longer an Islander, so, for me, out of sight, out of mind.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
That first round pick will surely be included in the deal. Why do you want 1st rounders? It's not wise to trade our proven players for picks...

Could not agree more. Unless its a older player that is aging away. I am not a huge fan of Hamonic personally however he is a top 4 D man. I always felt that D has more value then a forward in trades.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
I love watching people debate what's in the head of a person they have never met.

No one knows what's important to JT except JT, his agent and maybe Garth.

So y'all need to just stop already with projecting what you guys think onto JT.

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->