Hamonic requests trade to Western Canada part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So while the Friedman report seems a little speculative, I think it is safe to say the Jets are looking to move Buff. Doubt the Hamonic deal gets done if they are insisting on a RHD: Trouba (too much potential) or Myers (too sweet of a front loaded contract).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Snow doesn't have to change his mind. He can wait till the off-season and ask for the same thing. The Jets will have to change their offer in the off-season if they wantto be in the mix.

Not necessarily. If it's the same teams in the mix, they would likely have the same assets available. What might change is that Snow might be more willing to go for something other than a direct replacement for Hamonic, depending on how the Isles' season went.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So we don't get Hamonic, probably lose Buff and Ladd most likely for nothing and Chevy's legacy is drafting in the 8-15 spot for six years, a playoff spot every five years, and marginal teams for the indefinite future!:shakehead

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So, you expected the Jets to make the playoffs the first 3 years?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I moved 22 posts about Ladd and Buff over to their thread. Has the Hamonic topic played itself out until there's more news?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Personally, I don't think trading Trouba is as outlandish as some of you think. I can see a Kyle Turris or Dougie Hamilton situation for Trouba's next contract. Chevy should decide whether he's in a position to retain him or not. I believe he can be a key cog in a Hamonic trade. This is all idle speculation, but I have my reasons for believing as I do.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Not necessarily. If it's the same teams in the mix, they would likely have the same assets available. What might change is that Snow might be more willing to go for something other than a direct replacement for Hamonic, depending on how the Isles' season went.
I don't really follow.

The Jets won't be able to offer Buff if he is gone. Snow can continue to ask for Myers and Trouba. It is pretty cut and dry.

The Jets won't have the same assets if Byfuglien and Ladd are on the outs. Same will go for many teams - new cap situations and/or moving parts.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't really follow.

The Jets won't be able to offer Buff if he is gone. Snow can continue to ask for Myers and Trouba. It is pretty cut and dry.

The Jets won't have the same assets if Byfuglien and Ladd are on the outs. Same will go for many teams - new cap situations and/or moving parts.

Oh, I see what you mean. I agree that the contours of trades might change in the off-season, though the basic challenges will remain if Hamonic is really only interested in moving to a handful of teams. It's possible that the options for Snow will decrease, though he might expand his interest in taking back assets that aren't direct replacements for Hamonic.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Two things:

-Lawless made a good point last night (which shocked me, even though it is common knowledge around here), but didn't make the obvious follow through. Even though Buff is the better player, 60 games of Buff is not more valuable than ~300 games of Hamonic; which is why Snow would say "no". He didn't make the obvious extension which is that ~300 games of Hamonic is not worth the 600-700 (or more) games that Trouba could play for the Jets; which is why Chevy would say no. Neither of those trades is worth consideration without a fairly significant add from one team.

-I mentioned this in part 1 of this thread, but I think it is very underrated element of a potential trade. The obvious pieces are Myers and Hamonic; similar age, similar overall contribution (Harmonic is better, but not as much as some feel) and both on team-friendly deals. However, they are team-freindly for very different reasons. Hamonic's is preferable for a contending cap team as his cap hit is lower than his actual salary. Myers is preferable for a team concerned about the actual dollars going out the door but has no intention of spending to the cap as his salary is less than his cap hit. In other words, both have ideal contracts for the teams they currently play for. I think this is a bigger impediment than people realize.

While I'm not sure Chevy really needs to make a trade here, if he does pull the trigger, it signals that he thinks his team may be a contender during the life of Hamonic's contract and TNSE will spend towards the cap; making the particular team-friendly feature of Hamonic's contract useful. I know they have said as much in the past, but there has been no evidence of this in terms of actual action. This would be, in my mind, the first indication that TNSE was not simply blowing hot air.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally, I don't think trading Trouba is as outlandish as some of you think. I can see a Kyle Turris or Dougie Hamilton situation for Trouba's next contract. Chevy should decide whether he's in a position to retain him or not. I believe he can be a key cog in a Hamonic trade. This is all idle speculation, but I have my reasons for believing as I do.

If you dump premium players in anticipation of an expensive contract how will you ever have the premium players required to win?

If we are talking 1 for 1 then Trouba for Hamonic is outlandish. Hamonic is a good player but he is a whole tier below Trouba now and another tier below Trouba's potential. If NYI were to add significantly it might be worth considering but we then get back to the need for at least 2-3 premium players to lead a team to a cup. We don't need quantity so much as quality.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If you dump premium players in anticipation of an expensive contract how will you ever have the premium players required to win?

If we are talking 1 for 1 then Trouba for Hamonic is outlandish. Hamonic is a good player but he is a whole tier below Trouba now and another tier below Trouba's potential. If NYI were to add significantly it might be worth considering but we then get back to the need for at least 2-3 premium players to lead a team to a cup. We don't need quantity so much as quality.

How would Hamonic do playing with that anchor Stuart?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think we'll close this until there's more news on this front. If there is, someone can feel free to start up a new thread with the new info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad