Injury Report: Hamonic out week to week with facial fracture

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Hanifin is probably the best possible partner for Michael Stone, so this could work out fine for us. Hopefully Prout can do better covering for Valimaki than Stone did in game 1, and Hanifin should be able to carry Stone as well as OEL/Brodie did.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Better a broken cheekbone than a broken jaw which is better than a broken hand or arm which is better than a broken leg or ankle..

See... there's a silver lining in everything if you look hard enough.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think Hanifin is probably the best possible partner for Michael Stone, so this could work out fine for us. Hopefully Prout can do better covering for Valimaki than Stone did in game 1, and Hanifin should be able to carry Stone as well as OEL/Brodie did.

I don't think so. Hanifin is great but he shouldn't be the anchor on his pairing. Could be very ugly tbh

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't think so. Hanifin is great but he shouldn't be the anchor on his pairing. Could be very ugly tbh

He won't have to be.

Stone would be fine with Hanifin and doesn't need any carrying from anyone.

The issue would be how bad the rookie pair is taken advantage of and Valimaki having to play so conservative to protect for Andersson.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
@super6646 What are you talking about?

Hanifin is absolutely a pairing-anchor type of guy. Steadily controls the game all three zones, dominant on exits and entries, and generates scoring chances individually.

He's a dominant, dominant player if game 1 was any indication. I mean, in fairness I don't expect him to play as well as game 1 every game (if he did, that player would be the Norris front runner) but there are no real holes to his game. Goal scoring, he had ten last year. Possession, he's shown that the uptick in competition hasn't really affected him and he actually pulled Hamonic up pretty aggressively every shift I've seen them together, which gives me hope for Stone. And he was really solid defensively too. With his playmaking Stone should get plenty of chances to use that dangerous one-timer of his.

I honestly did not realize Noah Hanifin was this good when we made the trade, but I am becoming a fan every shift I watch of him.

We're really in a good spot this year as far as depth goes. Stone's a solid #6 who can pinch hit as a #4 if his partner has strong puck moving skills. Prout's a perfect #7 who's actually slotted as a #7. Once Kylington and Andersson get an opportunity I doubt there will be any looking back as those two are absolutely dominant players at the AHL level (Kylington needs to work on his PP skills down there, but it's not like we need him on the PP if he does get called up). Valimaki is a solid young player whose ups counteract any downs he may have. And Treliving was glowing about Valiev, too.

Yes, we need one of Valimaki or Kylington to step up as the #5 with the departure of our previous LHD #5, but they are the kinds of complete talents that you want in that role, despite their precociousness. About the only issue with our D core is that we don't have a partner suitable for Andersson on the third pair. That's just a matter of experience for Valimaki/Kylington, once they've established they're not shaky as NHLers, Andersson will be in and Stone will be traded at a net positive return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hopefully Prout comes in to send a message. Plays 9 solid minutes. And then eats popcorn the rest of the year. Because once Rasmus gets a chance I can’t see him losing his spot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hopefully Prout comes in to send a message. Plays 9 solid minutes. And then eats popcorn the rest of the year. Because once Rasmus gets a chance I can’t see him losing his spot.

6’3”, 230.
I’m hoping he throws it around a bit. Dude is a legit fighter too.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

What message will he send?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Frankly I would just as soon not have anybody sending a message. Play hockey. It wasn't a particular dirty hit... just late. Dube got caught looking backwards at the play. Gudbranson isn't a dirty player. I hear he even went up to Dube and apologized afterwards. This wouldn't even be an issue if Hamonic didn't get his jaw broken. Lets move on.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Whats the message though?

If you hit Dube we will put in a meh player that you may or may not have to fight in another game?

Again does anyone think Gudbranson cares if he has to fight Prout? Do you think he is scared now thinking about it?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The message is if you take a cheap shot on one of our players prepare to see the facepuncher Prout

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The message is if you take a cheap shot on one of our players prepare to see the facepuncher Prout

Ok so what?

Again do you think Gudbranson gives a crap?

In fact if I am the Cancuks I am happy to see Prout in the line-up. Maybe they can take more cheap shots to get Peluso and hathaway in there too.

How many cheap shots do they need to take to have Monahan and Gaudreau replaced with Lombard and Gadzic up here so we can really send them a message?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prout is more than a face puncher... has anyone saying this ever actually seen him play outside of 2 exhibition games?

He does the little things fairly well, he just lacks speed and isn't great with the puck, he also needs to use his size more consistently. Add skating to his game and have him be more consistent physically, he'd be a very good bottom pairing defenseman

Reactions: Nanuuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Prout is more than a face puncher... has anyone saying this ever actually seen him play outside of 2 exhibition games?

He does the little things fairly well, he just lacks speed and isn't great with the puck, he also needs to use his size more consistently. Add skating to his game and have him be more consistent physically, he'd be a very good bottom pairing defenseman

Its not like he came over from Siberia he has been around the NHL long enough to establish the type of player he is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its not like he came over from Siberia he has been around the NHL long enough to establish the type of player he is.
Yeah and defensemen that can't do something other than face punch don't get 200+ games in the NHL, Yeah he can fight, doesn't mean that is all he is good for.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
@super6646 What are you talking about?

Hanifin is absolutely a pairing-anchor type of guy. Steadily controls the game all three zones, dominant on exits and entries, and generates scoring chances individually.

He's a dominant, dominant player if game 1 was any indication. I mean, in fairness I don't expect him to play as well as game 1 every game (if he did, that player would be the Norris front runner) but there are no real holes to his game. Goal scoring, he had ten last year. Possession, he's shown that the uptick in competition hasn't really affected him and he actually pulled Hamonic up pretty aggressively every shift I've seen them together, which gives me hope for Stone. And he was really solid defensively too. With his playmaking Stone should get plenty of chances to use that dangerous one-timer of his.

I honestly did not realize Noah Hanifin was this good when we made the trade, but I am becoming a fan every shift I watch of him.

We're really in a good spot this year as far as depth goes. Stone's a solid #6 who can pinch hit as a #4 if his partner has strong puck moving skills. Prout's a perfect #7 who's actually slotted as a #7. Once Kylington and Andersson get an opportunity I doubt there will be any looking back as those two are absolutely dominant players at the AHL level (Kylington needs to work on his PP skills down there, but it's not like we need him on the PP if he does get called up). Valimaki is a solid young player whose ups counteract any downs he may have. And Treliving was glowing about Valiev, too.

Yes, we need one of Valimaki or Kylington to step up as the #5 with the departure of our previous LHD #5, but they are the kinds of complete talents that you want in that role, despite their precociousness. About the only issue with our D core is that we don't have a partner suitable for Andersson on the third pair. That's just a matter of experience for Valimaki/Kylington, once they've established they're not shaky as NHLers, Andersson will be in and Stone will be traded at a net positive return.

I did look at the advanced stats and he had a 72% corsi for with 30% offensive zone starts. Small sample, but I was surprised that he was getting those hard minutes. My issue is that he is 21 and idk if he can carry someone like stone around for a long period of time (who's a fringe 2nd pairing guy at his best). But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah and defensemen that can't do something other than face punch don't get 200+ games in the NHL, Yeah he can fight, doesn't mean that is all he is good for.

By the same measure defensemen that are useful don't play 20 games over the last two seasons.

I hate the idea that many fans have that just because a guy is big and can fight that he sucks but in Prouts case it isn't that far from the truth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
By the same measure defensemen that are useful don't play 20 games over the last two seasons.

I hate the idea that many fans have that just because a guy is big and can fight that he sucks but in Prouts case it isn't that far from the truth.
because of his skating, which I stated in the first post you quoted.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think I read somewhere that either management or a coach mentioned that Prout's "issues" were related to him being deployed incorrectly in the previous organizations he was at and they think they can revive his game. I don't recall where I saw that.

Interesting if true, but I believe they said the same about Lazar, no? (both guys in AHL to refine and reinvent their game is more interesting than force feeding them NHL TOI though I guess.

1976len

Aug 16, 2017
I'd still prefer Anderson over Prout in the lineup. I'd prefer they didn't split the horribleness that was Valimaki & Stone after just one game. Most importantly, I'd prefer if Hamonic was healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad