Confirmed with Link: Hamonic opts out

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When you have no offense, defensive depth is key and that is a huge loss!

Sounds like it might help out short term by getting their Stu away from the top 4 where he was dragging down his partner. I agree he would be a nice depth piece but if your coach holds back a better option to play hammer In the top 4 them losing him might be best for the Flames vs the Jets.

Reactions: blues10

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
NHL coaches doing NHL coach things. Old Glue guys always get the nod. Andersson is a really good young player but why play the best player when you can play a worse veteran?

Based on what you are describing I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hamonic signed by the Jets this off season.

COVID-19 isn't going away anytime soon. The fastest a vaccine has ever been developed is about four years I believe. So it may well be that Hamonic is just going to opt out of playing/informally retire.

If he's actually become as bad as Flames fans in here are saying, then that's probably a good thing. Although considering we never traded for him when Trouba wanted out and Hamonic was in NY, I'm guessing that our management actually isn't interested in him. I was upset at the time but I guess it turned out for the best getting a couple more years of Trouba and then Pionk.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
COVID-19 isn't going away anytime soon. The fastest a vaccine has ever been developed is about four years I believe. So it may well be that Hamonic is just going to opt out of playing/informally retire.

If he's actually become as bad as Flames fans in here are saying, then that's probably a good thing. Although considering we never traded for him when Trouba wanted out and Hamonic was in NY, I'm guessing that our management actually isn't interested in him. I was upset at the time but I guess it turned out for the best getting a couple more years of Trouba and then Pionk.

I like to occasionally poke fun at our Managment but that none move was massive

Pionk >>>>>>> Hamonic

Bravo Chevy!!!!

Pionk + Heinola + $3 million in Cap space for a disgruntled JT dictating a extremely limited landing spot is about as good as it gets.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is a no brainer for Hamonic all things considered. I'm a fan, but his career was all but done and may not have played anyway.
This is not directed at you specifically, but it never ceases to amaze me how quickly people are to write off veteran players as being 'done' and young players who haven't proven anything as better or a legitimate replacement.

Hamonic was playing from 18 to 22 minutes a night for the Flames this year, with instances of 23, 24, and 25 sprinkled through. A team doesn't play a guy who is 'done' that much. Thinking that he 'may not have played anyway' is a pretty big leap to take.

For crying out loud - he's 29 years old! Many D men enter their prime at this age because unlike forwards, defense is more highly impacted by experience and strategy, not raw skill.

I agree that he made the right decision for his family but to say his decision won't have a big impact on the Flames is dereft of logic. His absence pushes Erik Gustafsson into the top 4, and brings someone like Stone into the lineup. Hamonic is on of only 2 RHD in the Flames top 6, so if they don't dress Stone or Yelesin they will have exactly one RHD.

So, based on facts, I would say that losing Hamonic is quite significant to the Calgary Flames.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This is not directed at you specifically, but it never ceases to amaze me how quickly people are to write off veteran players as being 'done' and young players who haven't proven anything as better or a legitimate replacement.

Hamonic was playing from 18 to 22 minutes a night for the Flames this year, with instances of 23, 24, and 25 sprinkled through. A team doesn't play a guy who is 'done' that much. Thinking that he 'may not have played anyway' is a pretty big leap to take.

For crying out loud - he's 29 years old! Many D men enter their prime at this age because unlike forwards, defense is more highly impacted by experience and strategy, not raw skill.

I agree that he made the right decision for his family but to say his decision won't have a big impact on the Flames is dereft of logic. His absence pushes Erik Gustafsson into the top 4, and brings someone like Stone into the lineup. Hamonic is on of only 2 RHD in the Flames top 6, so if they don't dress Stone or Yelesin they will have exactly one RHD.

So, based on facts, I would say that losing Hamonic is quite significant to the Calgary Flames.
You make good points, but I did watch alot of him this year. I suppose we will see what happens over the next year.

Reactions: Jet

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think there are two sides to this story.

I have tried to filter for the level headed Flames fans and if I was to summarize I think the narrative goes like this:

They all love Travis the person

Travis had a rough 1st season, a good 2nd season, and a rough 3rd season in Calgary.

The challenge they faced this season is that Rasmus Andersson has surpassed Travis now. Hanifin really struggles with Travis on the 2nd paring and they have been caved. When Hanifin plays with Anderssen on the 2nd paring they do well. The coach remains in love with Travis (think Stu Trouba vs Morrissey Trouba) but Hammer no longer fits in their top 4 when everyone is healthy results wise.

Rasmus is 23 soon to be 24 and has emerged as the better option now but is being held back. Most Flames fans would have liked Travis on the bottom pairing for this play in series (top 4 Gio Brodie , Hanifin Andersson.

I am a big fan of Andersson but my sample size of viewing has been limited.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad