Hamilton Vs Siemens Vs Murphy

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
As a casual observer to this years crop of D men, for some reason these guys seem to have been lumped all together- making it difficult to differentiate between the 3.

Strome, Coutrier, Huberdeau, Landeskog, Larsson, & RNH are all gone, you must draft one of these 3 guys, who do you get.

It seems plausible, that the Thrashers may be facing this scenario at #7.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
None of the above. Nathan Beaulieu. Pick up a 2nd rounder and trade back a couple spots to grab him. If I HAD TO pick one of those 3 I would take Murphy. Don't see anything special in Dougie.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
To be honest, I don't think Siemens is QUITE in the same league as Hamilton and Murphy. Infact there are some starting to think Hamilton could be better than Larsson, and many are drooling over Murphy running their PP. Both guys could potentially go to Devils or Islanders at #4 or 5.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hamilton is a great d prospect. he can play defense, score points, above avg skating sped and oh yeah 6'4 nhl body. u can why some have him pegged above murphy

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Murphy easily. Its not close to how much skill he has over the other two. He is getting grouped with them because they have "size." I'd take Beaulieu over Hamilton and Siemens too. A poorer version of Siemens on D but a better version of Hamilton on offense.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's funny. I see Murphy as the dominant offensive force, Siemens the defensive player of the three and Hamilton as a combination of the other two.

It's impossible to say which one a team will take because it depends too much on what a team values and what a team could potentially need more.

member 30781

Murphy
Hamilton
Siemens

In that order.

I agree with Renegade's assessment of the 3.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Murphy
Hamilton
(gap)
Siemens

Murphy has 60P potential from the point
Hamilton can be a 40-50P defensive beast
Siemens looks like a future top 4 shutdown defenseman

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Murphy
Hamilton
(gap)
Siemens

Murphy has 60P potential from the point
Hamilton can be a 40-50P defensive beast
Siemens looks like a future top 4 shutdown defenseman

I'd take a 50 point defensive beast over a 60 point PP QB (Thats what I infer from your post) any day of the week.

Which brings me to the point, if Murphy only had 60 point potential he wouldn't be as highly regarded IMO. Definitely has PPG potential on the blueline, whether he reaches that is what remains.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Explain the reasoning for your gap.

I'd take a potential 60P defender (possibly PPG but 60P is realistic for Murphy) and a 40P big two-way rock on defense over a shutdown defenseman without the offensive upside the others bring. You can get shutdown defenders on July 1st if you have cap space. Players like Green (Murphy comparison) and Suter (Hamilton comparison) are much more valuable.

I'm not a fan of drafting shutdown defenders in the top 10.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not a fan of drafting shutdown defenders in the top 10.

I agree with this, to an extent. I don't think it applies if the shutdown defenseman can also chip in modestly on offense, though.

For instance, I don't think someone like Anton Volchenkov would be a good Top-10 pick. He's too one-dimensional (though very good at that aspect). But someone like Marc Staal would be a good Top-10 pick because although he's never going to be in the running for the defenseman scoring race, he's capable of chipping in at both ends of the rink.

So I guess it depends which player Siemens is more closer to: a Volchenkov-type or a Staal-type.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah, I really do think that Siemens being called a "shutdown defender" isn't exactly accurate.

He is definitely a defense-first guy, but he's no slouch offensively. He's a GREAT skater and a good passer. He's at his best when he is jumping into the rush and trying to create offense. He could stand to do more of that. The comparison for him to me is Jovanovski. People say Seabrook, but I think he has the chance to be much better offensively than Seabrook is.

He did have 43 points this season while playing the full 72 games as well as chipping in with 4 more points in 10 playoff games, while playing badly injured for several games.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Ryan Murphy for me.

Siemens and Hamilton will be very good NHL defenseman one day I have no doubt - but Murphy just has such incredible skills that I can't rank them higher.

Murphy has ppg potential for sure - the kid is one of the best skaters to ever come out of the CHL, with elite hockey sense and a cannon of a shot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hamilton for me. Potential to be a team's #1 for many, many years. Smart, big, physical, great skater, rock defensively, stamina, offensive capabilities. He has it all. I think he'll be the best defenceman out of the draft.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Offensive upside is much more difficult to find in a Dman. There's only a few defenders in the NHL who have the creativity and skill that Murphy already possesses. Obviously the transition to the nhl game will be difficult, but Murphy has got to be the guy here.

Murphy>Hamilton>Beaulieu>Siemens

Oroku Saki*

I am so torn between Murphy and Hamilton. At first I was completely for Hamilton but after keeping a close eye on Murphy, he is starting to become my first choice but I really can't decide.

I wish I could draft both because that would be one hell of a pairing.

I feel strongly that Hamilton's offense will translate to the NHL and he will be a 40-50pt gorilla who can do everything.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Murphy. Beaulieu. Siemens. Hamilton.

Love Beaulieau's game and he is the most well-rounded of all, but Murphy just has hockey sense the others don't. Murphy was born to play hockey, he thinks the game.

I dislike how ineffective Hamilton is at using his size. He just doesn't realize he is 6'4". Scares me away.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Murphy. Beaulieu. Siemens. Hamilton.

Love Beaulieau's game and he is the most well-rounded of all, but Murphy just has hockey sense the others don't. Murphy was born to play hockey, he thinks the game.

I dislike how ineffective Hamilton is at using his size. He just doesn't realize he is 6'4". Scares me away.

In what way? He's physical, he uses his reach, and he's an incredible skater for his size. What about his size doesn't he use?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've got a question, who do you think is better. Fowler or Murphy? Don't want to start a new thread to ask. But everything I've heard about Murphy reminds me of what I've heard about Fowler last year.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I've got a question, who do you think is better. Fowler or Murphy? Don't want to start a new thread to ask. But everything I've heard about Murphy reminds me of what I've heard about Fowler last year.

Murphys better in his draft year. Better skater, better shot, better pass, better defensively. Only thing Fowler had on him was size. Murphy was arguably better then Fowler last year in the playoffs.

Considering what Fowler did this season it'll be amazing to see Murphy when he gets there, though diffrent timelines probably.

4thliner*

Fowler didn't/does not have Murphy's skill level. Murphy if he can hang physically in the NHL and play good D could be a superstar.

He is just small and couple of years away unlike the bigger Fowler so he is a risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad