Proposal: Hamilton Joins The GTA: TOR + CAR / TOR + BUF + OTT

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ah, you took me a bit too literally; I probably should have used an emoji. The point I was trying to make is that I can't see Hamilton re-upping for $6.9m per, especially with a team other than the Canes. He's been a square peg on two round hole teams but the Canes seem to fit him like a glove. I see him taking a discount, but not $6.9m, so if you can think of a way to facilitate that negotiation, like Montreal did with Aho :thumbu: For him to extend with Toronto I'm sure he'd want a premium, not the other way around.

He's from Toronto, so I'm not sure about that...

Yes, Marner wouldn't take a discount to play at home, but Tavares did

So, who knows?

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
If Alex Nylander brought back Jokiharju, who has already proven to be a bonafide top 4 Dman with #2 potential, then Mittelstadts value is near that. Mittelstadt is probably worth a late 1st at the moment.Mitts AHL production blew away any of Nylanders multiple ahl seasons. So to the Sens fan who was dogging Mittstadt he is still a top prospect and is still returning a late 1st or another recent 1st round pick prospect.

That was Nylander and this is Mittlestadt, and I think we can all agree was a big mistake by Chicago.

Bro if people won't even trade a late 1st for Puljujarvi you got no hope of having Middlestadt being worth close to that. And I don't know if you want to use AHL production to value him because .69 ppg in the AHL is nothing special.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It will be.. but not yet. We can do everything we need to do this year.

The longer we wait the easier it will be to deal with his contract whatever it ends up being.
It is now. We are in a flat cap and that extra 5 million would be huge

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I have 2 questions here:

1. Who llays in net for Toronto after this? :laugh:

2. How does Toronto sign the remaining ~7 players needed to ice a 22 man roster?

Matthews and 7 ELC's.

Matthews gets a chance to show he's the best ever can play Center and Goalie!

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I have 2 questions here:

1. Who llays in net for Toronto after this? :laugh:

2. How does Toronto sign the remaining ~7 players needed to ice a 22 man roster?

1. In this scenario the Leafs would need to pair Campbell with another 1b in hopes that one of them sticks. I’m not sure it’s the best move but some fans seem to think it’s an improvement over losing Andersen for nothing.

2. KHL Veterans looking to prove themselves in the US/Canada and AHL tweeners seems to be the common thought.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Johnsson and Kerfoot combine to make 6.9 million, so that's Hamilton's extension...

Anderson and Ceci combined to make 9 million this past year, so that's Pietrangelo's contract

The rest of the roster will be filled with players on their ELC, or by veterans making the league minimum...
6.9 doesn't extend Hamilton, Ceci is already off the books so you can't deduct his cap hit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
6.9 doesn't extend Hamilton, Ceci is already off the books so you can't deduct his cap hit.

Exactly. Hamilton made $6M in real dollars this past year and will make the same next year. He's coming off a career year until injury and covid hit and if he plays the same way next year, $6.9 won't cut it. If he does play the same way and $6.9 is all it takes to extend Hamilton, I'd guess the Canes would gladly pay that.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Barrie's 2.5 million salary is also coming off the books, so that's 3 vets at the league minimum right there...plus Clifford's 1.9 million in salary, so there's another 2 vets right there...

And, yes, maybe Holl or Dermott, and possibly even Hyman would have to be moved, but I'm pretty sure it would all come in under the wire
Have you ever looked at cap friendly? You can't just take this years cap and deduct last seasons UFA's and increase team cap, it doesn't work like that. The Leafs have $6.1 in cap space with 18 players signed - Barrie, Ceci, Clifford and every other UFA's cap has already been deducted and are not calculated in the $6.1, so you can trade AJ and AK but you also need to replace them so even at $1million per replacement, they have only opened up $4.9 worth of cap. Move Holl/Dermott or Hyman and you need to replace them. Dermott is not calculated in the team cap because he doesn't have a contract. Hyman and Holl both barely make over $2 so not muck savings there and they need to be replaced as well.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Have you ever looked at cap friendly? You can't just take this years cap and deduct last seasons UFA's and increase team cap, it doesn't work like that. The Leafs have $6.1 in cap space with 18 players signed - Barrie, Ceci, Clifford and every other UFA's cap has already been deducted and are not calculated in the $6.1, so you can trade AJ and AK but you also need to replace them so even at $1million per replacement, they have only opened up $4.9 worth of cap. Move Holl/Dermott or Hyman and you need to replace them. Dermott is not calculated in the team cap because he doesn't have a contract. Hyman and Holl both barely make over $2 so not muck savings there and they need to be replaced as well.

Cap was lowered by 1.2 million to account for the retention on Kessel...

The Leafs would have 5 forward slots to fill, and just over 4.1 million in cap space, so they could sign 5 forwards to the league minimum of $700,000, and they'd be $600,000 below the cap...

Error - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Cap was lowered by 1.2 million to account for the retention on Kessel...

The Leafs would have 5 forward slots to fill, and just over 4.1 million in cap space, so they could sign 5 forwards to the league minimum of $700,000, and they'd be $600,000 below the cap...

Error - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
the Kessel retention is calculated in the $6.1 - Leafs need 4 forwards and 1 D to make up a full 23 man roster. I have a feeling they may only carry 21-22. I don't see any scenario where the Leafs dress 5-6 league minimum players.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
the Kessel retention is calculated in the $6.1 - Leafs need 4 forwards and 1 D to make up a full 23 man roster. I have a feeling they may only carry 21-22. I don't see any scenario where the Leafs dress 5-6 league minimum players.

I'm just sharing what I would do if I were running the Leafs, I'm not speculating what they will do...

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Why? Its totally irrelevant to what we were discussing.
Because it is relevant to what we are discussing. You don't think his contract is burdensome, so I proposed to you to see what assets we would receive with him @Max retain. The fact that you deflected is the exact answer that was expected. It's burdensome.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He's from Toronto, so I'm not sure about that...

Yes, Marner wouldn't take a discount to play at home, but Tavares did

So, who knows?
I wouldn't call 11 a year a "discount", sure it wasn't the highest he was offered, but a discount? Come on lmao

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Because it is relevant to what we are discussing. You don't think his contract is burdensome, so I proposed to you to see what assets we would receive with him @Max retain. The fact that you deflected is the exact answer that was expected. It's burdensome.

I said its not burdensome now... just because he isn't tradeable at this moment doesn't change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad