Hamilton hosting AHL outdoor game

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374800

2. Shrimper

Shrimper Trick or ruddy treat

Home Page:
    Has a team done this before in the AHL? Marlies home games often seem to be earlier than others and at watch-able times so I'll keep an eye out for this.

3. wpgsilver

wpgsilver Registered User

I'm sure the novelty of the game will draw a large crowd, but Hamilton has not been a great AHL city. I think Hershey would have made more sense to host an outdoor game since they have embraced being the flagshift AHL franchise.

4. AdmiralsFan24

AdmiralsFan24 Registered User

I believe Connecticut had a game at Rentschler Field (UCONN football stadium) last year.

5. JMROWE

JMROWE Registered User

Graphic Designer
    True Hamilton has been a sub par AHL. city & the only reason bulldogs have survived in Hamilton this long was because the bulldogs are a winning team & seem to be calder cup contender almost every year since there est. 1996\1997 . The fact is Hamilton is an NHL. city who's patience is whereing thin with the AHL. & maybe this outdoor game at Ivor Wynne Stadium will show the NHL. that Hamilton would be a gold mine for the NHL. & finally get the balls to tell MLSE & to lesser extenit the Sabres. to back off & where putting a team in Hamilton deal with it .

6. No Fun Shogun

No Fun Shogun 34-38-61-10-13-15

Illegal Ill Eagle
    An unspecified place on Google Maps, apparently
    No offense, but what kind of logic is this?

"Yeah, we're a bad minor league town, but that's because we're in reality a good major league city instead! NHL team, please!"

Not really following that line of thought....

But should be interesting. So long as they don't deluge these things by having more than one or two per league per season (or by just repeating the same handful of teams over and over again, which is what I fear will be the trap that the Winter Classic falls into), these outdoor events should be nice goldmines for the NHL, AHL, collegiate, and junior games.

But I do agree that Hershey definitely would make for a fantastic outdoor candidate.

7. dronald

dronald Registered User

In terms of attendance the Marlies are one spot above the Bulldogs, but I hear that those Maple Leafers still do pretty well? :sarcasm:

I'll go to this for sure, hopefully we can get 30k in there. I think if it's marketed properly it can be successful.

8. Judas Tavares

Judas Tavares S2S (Sundin2Sandin) Sponsor

I look forward to that game big time.

9. wpgsilver

Some how I knew this would become a "We're (Hamilton) an NHL city blah blah blah". I think the outdoor game will be great in showing there are an ton of hockey fans in Hamilton. But take it from a guy who just got an NHL team, fans need to show up and support whatever team you have to be thought of as an NHL city. Hamilton may be a great fan of the NHL, but I don't think it would hurt to be a bigger fan of hockey in general (like the nearly always contending bulldogs.)

10. bodybreak

bodybreak Whiteshell Wild

With two teams in the bottom half of the AHL attendance-wise, and a decrepit football stadium that is beyond repair, and has to be rebuilt (and lower capacity), I wondered how they might make this work. Well, looks like the plan includes giving Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) and Toronto Marlies (AHL) season ticket holders priority to this game -- not just Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) fans.

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldogs/article/586915--hoping-for-a-big-outdoor-hockey-celebration

11. dronald

dronald Registered User

I've been to every home ti-cat game this season and I'm going to the labour day game this weekend and for whatever reason I didn't buy season tickets... *sigh*

12. Taro Tsujimoto

Taro Tsujimoto Registered User

Syracuse played Binghamton outdoors last season, IIRC.

13. berklon

berklon Registered User

It's been shown many many times already - I don't think it needs to be proven anymore. I may go just for ***** and giggles since I haven't been to Ivor Wynne in forever and wouldn't mind seeing it for one last time before they demolish it - even if it means watching crappy AHL hockey being played on crappy ice.

It wouldn't hurt, but I doubt it would help either.

Last edited by moderator mouser: Aug 31, 2011
  14. sipowicz

sipowicz The Original

I take exception to that statement, Hamilton has neither been a good AHL or CHL (or even CFL) city, what would be significantly different if it were the NHL. A poor sports town is a poor sports town regardless of the sport or league!

15. JMROWE

JMROWE Registered User

Graphic Designer
    The Tiger Cats\Bulldogs have a lot to compete with in southern ontario you have Niagara Falls\Bills\Sabres on one end & then you got Toronto with the Leafs\Raptors\Blue Jays\TFC.\ect. on the other . The tiger cats do pretty well avg. around 23.000 per game considering all the competion that surounds them as for the bulldogs well that is whole other story the reason they have not drawn very well is because this city patience is whereing thin with the AHL. because Hamilton wants the NHL. not a 2nd rate farm team in the AHL. .

16. berklon

berklon Registered User

By that logic Toronto is a bad sports town because they have poor attendance for the AHL, CHL, CFL and MLB - especially for a city of 2+ million. So how are the Leafs doing attendance wise?

The idea that a city doesn't care about a sport/league means they don't care about ALL sports/leagues is ridiculous - especially since there are plenty of examples that prove it's a ridiculous notion.

17. ur almost right

ur almost right Registered User

This sounds auspicsiously like the very reason why the teams in Glendale and Atlanta SHOULD have (and did Re:Atl) moved: too many other options for expendable dollars.

The city of Hamilton has LONG expressed it's independance from the GTA in regards to supporting sports, yet when the issue of poor attendance comes up, the GTA and other options are the "reason" given as to why attendance is low at events.

With just 9 games for the TiCats, and 41 for the Bulldogs, attendance @23,000 for football and 4,250 for hockey seems VERY low, even considering the lack of sucsess for the CFL team (see:Blue Bombers stats..) and a fairly sucsessful AHL team.

Without doubt the NHL is different then BOTH the CFL and AHL together, but the claim of "so many other things to do" doesn't hold much water. IMO.

I think the outdoor game will be great for the city, but I can't see it being an "eye-opener" for the NHL's relocation of a team.

18. sipowicz

sipowicz The Original

As a sports town Hamilton is a joke, there is a reason why the NHL will never go there. I'll stand by my previous comments.

19. wpgsilver

I would say Winnipeg felt the same way, only multiplied because we had NHL hockey and lost it. I'm not trying to put down Hamilton, but I just have trouble with all this Hamilton talk about being an NHL city when they don't support their current team.

My advice if you want an NHL team: Build your reputation as a Hockey City. Sell out every game and draw attention to your passion. As an a AHL fan I always shake my head when I hear Hamilton folks talk about their desire for NHL hockey when they don't appreciate the hockey they have.

20. AdmiralsFan24

Don't even have to sell out every game. Manitoba basically filled half the MTS Centre and got their team back.

21. berklon

berklon Registered User

Do you shake your head at Toronto too?

22. wpgsilver

In regards to hockey, No. There is a clear difference between the Marlies and the Bulldogs. The Marlies ARE second fiddle, the Bulldogs are just treated as such. Now if you're talking about in general I would say so. For instance, when people talk about Toronto being an NFL city I think it's laughable at this point. Football more than any sport should be easy to achieve high attendence, since the season is 9 home games vesus 41.

Well to be slightly more accurate, the MTSC had about 9000 seats available to the public for Moose games. The Moose were always in the top 2 in AHL attendence, averaging in the 8000 people per game.

23. AdmiralsFan24

What I said was completely accurate. The MTS Centre holds 15,000. If there was more demand to watch the Moose, all 15,000 seats would've been available to the public.

24. wpgsilver

Fair point. And the upper bowl would be opened for certain games during the season.
    I think the point remains that for cities without the NHL and seeking a team, supporting the local professional team should be a must.
    If the average league appetite for AHL hockey is 10 000/game I think it would serve hamilton well to break 5 000.

25. KingJet*

KingJet* Guest

Ha, I never Win stadium!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.