Proposal: Hamilton+ for Connor

Who adds?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Of course it does. Every player who will be a UFA at the end of their contract has the value drops as they get closer and closer to UFA. Next year, Hamilton’s value will drop even more.

Perhaps, but this is specific to Hamilton clearly. Teams don't want him when they realize what he is.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is Maurice really that “blinded” or is it Connor that is simply a better hockey player and deserve the ice time he’s getting?

And in all honesty, could it really just be that Connor is a better overall hockey player at this point than Laine and that with him on the ice, the Jets have more chance to win than with Laine?

Could it also just be that Connor’s competitive level is just a good notch above Laine’s and that it’s the fans that are blinded about their love for a certain player and can’t see the whole picture?

I’m asking because, for me, without a doubt, I take Connor on my team before Laine and I believe Maurice kinda agree with that statement too
KC had a better year than Laine last year, but Laine's first 2 years are leads and bounds better than any of Connor's. Even last year, KC was still a negative player at 5v5 and his 5v5 scoring/rates aren't really noteworthy despite playing a majority of the year with Wheeler and Scheifele. I like Connor, i think his offensive skill-set is top notch, but id expect better on-ice results given the fact he's playing 19+ mins/night with Scheifele+Wheeler. The Jets would have been better with Ehlers on that top line than Connor imo.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
KC had a better year than Laine last year, but Laine's first 2 years are leads and bounds better than any of Connor's. Even last year, KC was still a negative player at 5v5 and his 5v5 scoring/rates aren't really noteworthy despite playing a majority of the year with Wheeler and Scheifele. I like Connor, i think his offensive skill-set is top notch, but id expect better on-ice results given the fact he's playing 19+ mins/night with Scheifele+Wheeler. The Jets would have been better with Ehlers on that top line than Connor imo.

But there’s a reason why Maurice has made those comments and all the rumors around Laine & leadership group. While some, if not most of it is probably exaggerated, I wouldn’t be surprised if Wheeler and Scheifele prefer to play with a guy like Connor instead of Laine. There’s a reason why players like to play with guys like like that. I remember when I was younger there was this guy on my team. He wasn’t the most talented player on the team. He had an average shot, average vision but his competitiveness was off the chart and for some reasons everyone wanted to play with him because they knew that he was going all in every shift, going into corners winning most of puck battles, rushing the net etc..

I just think that while Laine is more talented, a guy like Connor is just a better, more useful hockey player overall

Reactions: behemolari

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But there’s a reason why Maurice has made those comments and all the rumors around Laine & leadership group. While some, if not most of it is probably exaggerated, I wouldn’t be surprised if Wheeler and Scheifele prefer to play with a guy like Connor instead of Laine. There’s a reason why players like to play with guys like like that. I remember when I was younger there was this guy on my team. He wasn’t the most talented player on the team. He had an average shot, average vision but his competitiveness was off the chart and for some reasons everyone wanted to play with him because they knew that he was going all in every shift, going into corners winning most of puck battles, rushing the net etc..

I just think that while Laine is more talented, a guy like Connor is just a better, more useful hockey player overall
not disputing what Maurice says or what he thinks, but just saying Laine's on-ice results career to date are better than Connor's even with Laine's poor season. Scheifele and Wheeler got out-chanced and out-scored with Connor (CSW) next to them last year. They were statistically one of the worst 'top line' across the league, then factor in the line of Ehlers-Little-Laine (ELL) seriously devoid of chemistry. Whatever bro-mance Maurice had for Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler last year hurt the team's overall top 6s results and this team probably won't reach its full potential if that's the case. CSW was a (-6) or 44%GF share last season, for 3 very talented players, it wasn't working as much a Maurice was projecting. The Jets were a very mediocre 5v5 team last year, they won a lot of games bc of an elite PP which wouldn't be elite if Laine wasn't on it.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I can see the Jets pulling of a trade with Carolina for a D-man. The Jets are thin at D and C, and Carolina has some interesting players that they could move for a scoring winger. I would see Laine as a better fit on the Hurricanes though, but that would require a larger package. Everything is possible and crazier things have happened in this league.

Reactions: behemolari

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Maybe something around Ehlers for Pesce, though I’d prefer not to give up any of our top 6 guys..... with the obvious exception of Little.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
There is a fit between the two teams. Canes loaded on D and need a winger, the Jets the opposite. It should be Connor for Pesce though. Don't know who adds. Jets don't need Connor since they have enough wingers. Ehlers is a better contract to keep.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe something around Ehlers for Pesce, though I’d prefer not to give up any of our top 6 guys..... with the obvious exception of Little.

Winnipeg offered Ehlers for a Carolina RHD earlier in the off-season, per Seravalli. Presumably Pesce was the target. Carolina rejected that. The Gardiner signing should have no bearing on Pesce; it pretty much assures one of Faulk/Hamilton is heading out in the near future.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Faulk, Staal, Toronto's 1st for Laine provided we can sign Laine for 5 years at 10 million a year.

Laine would sign in a second knowing he will be reunited with Aho, then again not sure how would Brind’Amour see Laine

Jets wont let go Connor easily, Laine or Ehlers makes more sense

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad