Hamilton Considering 2018 Memorial Cup Bid

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Just to be clear, even as a Hamilton fan, I'm against it. I feel it's too soon and that we haven't paid our dues in the league yet to have one. Here is the article.

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6328679-radley-bulldogs-bid-for-2018-memorial-cup-/

The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs says there's a better than average chance his franchise will be in the bidding for the 2018 Memorial Cup when the Canadian junior hockey championship celebrates its 100th anniversary.

Michael Andlauer won't guarantee anything yet. Still, he says hosting a Memorial Cup — this one in particular — makes lots of sense for his franchise and this city.

"There's no doubt I'd love to consider it," he says.

Bidding hasn't opened but already there have been reports of interest from almost coast to coast. The owner of the Ottawa 67s was recently quoted as saying he was thinking about it. The Kelowna Rockets' president has mentioned it. Oshawa's owner says he wants to host. Expect others to join the chase.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not paying your dues doesn't matter. Branch and co. have a history of awarding the Memorial Cup to cities who "haven't paid their dues yet" in favor of the almighty dollar.

If you think about it, all the bigger buildings in the OHL have hosted fairly recently. Windsor is likely the team that gets the next one. After that, if Hamilton can put a team on the ice worthy of being a host team, the rest may be easy.

Branch would like nothing better than a return to Hamilton who did a very good job hosting (the city, not the team) in 1990. I know. I was there for all of it. They set the record at the time for attendance.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Not paying your dues doesn't matter. Branch and co. have a history of awarding the Memorial Cup to cities who "haven't paid their dues yet" in favor of the almighty dollar.

If you think about it, all the bigger buildings in the OHL have hosted fairly recently. Windsor is likely the team that gets the next one. After that, if Hamilton can put a team on the ice worthy of being a host team, the rest may be easy.

Branch would like nothing better than a return to Hamilton who did a very good job hosting (the city, not the team) in 1990. I know. I was there for all of it. They set the record at the time for attendance.

I feel the ohl should try to hand out memorial cups to newer teams. It seems to be the same 4-5 places always in play. So I would be all for Hamilton.
I really wish Erie would get a dang chance. But even if we put in a bid I can't see them ever wanting it here. They have a facility for it and fans and a chance for American exposure.
I would root for Hamilton to get it over some others that have had it somewhat recently though

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa is looking at bidding and if they do it might make it harder for Hamilton to win.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I, too, am hoping that Erie bids on the Memorial Cup. Our facility is first rate, and the Otters have had a lot of exposure the last several years all over Canada. With a new Canadian owner who is apparently well known in Canada, maybe it is time for Erie to make a bid.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
2018 is 2 seasons away, so next year and then the year after. Plenty of time to build a championship team if you have the will and assets/youth. Hamilton has plenty of youth. Erie would be intriguing with likely Taylor Raddysh, Maksimovich, Lodnia, Neumann and on and on. They have plenty of youth developing. But the assets for Erie are dry and will need Strome and Debrincat back next year and the ability to trade them. Don't see it happening
Hamiliton has a legit shot though and I would root hard for them to get it.
Let's also not forget that the 2018 memorial cup will be the 100th memorial cup which translates to -0.00, meaning no way in hell, Erie or any American team gets it. Erie has a huge battle to get it in a normal year let alone the 100th anniversary

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
2017 would be a better year for Erie to bid imo

I am interested to see what they did with the 2018 memorial cup if they are breaking the rotation and not going back to the Q.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I, too, am hoping that Erie bids on the Memorial Cup. Our facility is first rate, and the Otters have had a lot of exposure the last several years all over Canada. With a new Canadian owner who is apparently well known in Canada, maybe it is time for Erie to make a bid.

Erie would be a fantastic host - if Sportsnet okays it, I don't see why it couldn't happen. I'd be all for it.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

Erie would be an awesome facility to host the Mem Cup. Maybe not for 2018 though.

At this point I would think Ottawa would be granted host for the 100th anniversary.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Either Ott. or Ham. are A-OK with me. There should be single game tickets available which is key for those of us who cannot commit to the entire event but really want to be even a small part of it for a game or two. Not to mention free (I hope) accommodation in both. Best of luck to these 2 cities in their quest to host.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Hamilton should be improved for 2018--but a Memorial Cup contender? Uncertain.. it will depend how they draft and develop. As it stands, the sell-off in Ottawa was in aim for a shot at a 2018 Memorial Cup, which they will likely be a favorite to get it.

Jury's still out on Hamilton.. while they've improved the attendance, how many are actually paying? In addition, there was a school day game, which inflated the season's attendance at a financial loss for one game (though it is a tradition dating back to their AHL days.) We'll have to see in the playoffs if Hamilton makes it this year.. they have a poor history of drawing there from their AHL days. Remember, season tickets are not counted in playoff attendance.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Given the precedent set by the league in giving London the tournament 9 years after they previously hosted, no one should be surprised by this.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
That article makes it sound like the 2018 hosting is open to any team in any league, are they just gonna open up the bidding to any team across the CHL and whoever gets it, gets it host league be damned?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
That article makes it sound like the 2018 hosting is open to any team in any league, are they just gonna open up the bidding to any team across the CHL and whoever gets it, gets it host league be damned?

I don't think anything official was ever announced about the 100th Memorial Cup, just the odd rumour and speculation that it would be given to Ontario.

I like this idea for the 100th, keeps everyone on their toes and really forces teams to come up with something big for #100

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I don't think anything official was ever announced about the 100th Memorial Cup, just the odd rumour and speculation that it would be given to Ontario.

I like this idea for the 100th, keeps everyone on their toes and really forces teams to come up with something big for #100

I agree, while I am an OHL fan I think it would be unfair to just have it open to OHL teams during what was supposed to be a non OHL year, unless they wanted to give it to Ottawa for the nations capital idea, but other than that what does make any OHL team more deserving than any team from the Q or W. Should this be the official way they go about the bidding process I am for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad