Hamilton Bulldogs @ Toronto Marlies - TVA Sports 1:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I was heavily criticized here when I said that I don't understand why they signed Stortini, he's about as useless as it gets. He can't play, he can't fight and all in all he's freaking terrible.

Dogs need some kind of a good veteran presence and Stortini is everything except that.

Impressions so far - Beaulieu looks special , Leblanc is simply fantastic (minus a few passes he has that looked more like a wrist shot), Tinordi is a big clumsy girly boy , goalie stinks, #40 can't shoot and Stortini is a bully

Tinordi looked good at times (that play at the end of 1st period when he held the puck in the offensive zone was really nice to watch) and he looked terrible at times (that dumb penalty). Desjardins had a rough game, but I certainly wouldn't say he's terrible based on one game, I watched him a lot over the past couple of years and he's a really good goalie and his stats prove that. I agree with what you said about Beaulieu and Leblanc.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
That was the equivalent of a football team trailing by 14 points scoring a TD on the very last play of the game to make the score respectable. But hey, good for Nate.

As for Stortini, signing him is one thing. Playing him 10+ minutes a game is the issue. If he played 3-5 minutes like a goon should, while sitting out games against teams who don't carry one (Toronto as an example), the complaints wouldn't exist.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Just got back from the game. I thought it was pretty boring but the Bulldogs put on a good show at the end. I haven't seen the replay of Stortini's hit on Kadri, but I didn't think it looked that bad. Maybe I'm too caught up in his junior days, but he embellished it a little. He came back the next shift, but I don't remember seeing him in the third. I'd like to see Stortini sit for it though, he's detrimental to this team.

A few thoughts on some of the players:

-Steve Quailer was alright today. His stride is no where near as awkward looking as it is on TV. It's weird. He can flat out fly too. He used his body pretty good, not for body contact, but shielding the puck and checking the stick.

-Brendan Gallagher was pretty quiet apart from a few shifts. He drove the net a few times and made some good plays to keep possession. It's rather hilarious watching much bigger players trying to push him off and they can't do anything. He strong on his skates and moves well too. He has to work on that shot though, his release is extremely inconsistent.

-I was extremely impressed with Jarred Tinordi's skating. I've mentioned it before, but it's like watching a completely different player. He skates fast, is agile, and has good technique. There's still lots of room to grow, but he's a fantastic skater now, especially since he's 6'6". He still looked a bit awkward though. The puck gets through his legs easy and sometimes it seems just out of reach. He almost crushed a Marlie too in the third.

-Nathan Beaulieu was pretty good. His gap control was surprisingly good. He jumped up on opposing forwards at the right time and kept them at bay for the most part. Offensively, he created a ton of chances. He had one sequence where he went all the way from one point, around the net and to the opposite point. He made it look easy. However, he did force his passes and tried to do too much. He scored at the very end of the game. He threw the puck at the net, celebrated, looked at the clock and put his head down :laugh:.

-Patrick Holland played poorly up until about halfway through the third. He did way too much. He's a very cerebral player, but he's not playing like one right now. He's making weird decisions with the puck and is rushing it at awful times. I was surprised by his lower body strength, he's very strong on his skates.

-Michael Bournival was decent. He was quiet for the most part and then like the rest of the Bulldogs he picked up near the end. He made a few turnovers, particularly on the first. He made a few bad reads too. Quailer got put on the second line and Bournival took his place. He looked really good. All over the ice and played really hard. I really like how he battles constantly. I'd say this was one of the worst games that he's played as a Bulldogs and he still had like 4 or 5 turnovers.

-Louis Leblanc played his best game since returning from injury, and to be completely honest, he wasn't very good. He had two nice plays where he cut to the slot and shot, but apart from that he was quiet. His board work was decent, he fought pretty hard at time. He could stand to be more abrasive though.

-Now the best Bulldog of the game, Morgan Ellis. He was great today. He must have played half the game. He was played with 3 different partners too. He's the kind of player who you just feel really confident with. He was very solid defensively and broke up plays well. Offensively he made a nice rush, he picked up an assist too. He pinched at all the right times. I really like the physical element that he brings. Not over the top, just hits at the right times. His skating, while being techniquely good, is slow. He has to improve his speed and acceleration. Tonight it wasn't a problem at all as he used his stick and body well, but he does get burned quite often.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It's comical reading all of you whining about playing a couple of veteran tough players... Just ridiculous the amount of whining about Stortini and Hagel.

I'm sure there is a non contact league you'd enjoy watching on another station.

Protest the Hero

Mar 13, 2011
Ontario
It's comical reading all of you whining about playing a couple of veteran tough players... Just ridiculous the amount of whining about Stortini and Hagel.

I'm sure there is a non contact league you'd enjoy watching on another station.

What an argument, congratulations.

Stortini would be perfect for those non contact leagues considering he's too slow to hit anyone before they get rid of the puck.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Lots of future 3rd liners playing for the Dogs, not much there to be over excited about.

Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis are all capable of playing in our top 4 D..........I would say their progress is very important to the future of this organization. I like Leblanc but have never been sold on his offensive upside. He has never dominated at any level and never demonstrated a skillset that would translate into significant production in the NHL. That being said, he is a very valuable piece as he is a competitor who should be a fixture in the top 9.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
[QUOTE=Estimated_Prophet;56819097]Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis are all capable of playing in our top 4 D..........I would say their progress is very important to the future of this organization. I like Leblanc but have never been sold on his offensive upside. He has never dominated at any level and never demonstrated a skillset that would translate into significant production in the NHL. That being said, he is a very valuable piece as he is a competitor who should be a fixture in the top 9.[/QUOTE]

A couple years in the AHL will be needed to even determine if that is a possibility. I was commenting on the forwards who I have watched in a half dozen games this year
They are not very talented offensively, certainly not top 6 talented, 3rd line yes but not 60-70 point future NHLers. Galchenyuk and Collberg are hopefully going to be that type of player or free agency signings will have to fill that void.

Analyzer*

Hard to tell if the hit is for sure clean, or not. Looks clean from he angle far away, but it's, well... Far away.

2nd time Stortini has been kicked out of a game against the Marlies.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
The only thing dirty about the hit was that it came on Kadri's blind side. The hit was shoulder to shoulder and Kadri had the puck at the time. Maybe next time he'll keep his head up and stop admiring how nice the puck looks on his stick.

Morlesio14*

And for that reason I want Hamilton to keep a plug like Stortini in your lineup. Does nothing than gets penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad