Melee- -Brown

D Pairings:
Staios-Moore
Donovan-Kammerer
Romeo-White

Scratches: Grushnikov, Mysak, Mutter, Van Loon, Roy and Drobac

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Nice to finally see a game in person again. A few takeaways...

Wow, is our defence ever inexperienced. I guess all teams are in the same boat though. I think that Staios will be a huge key for the Bulldogs this year moving the puck up the ice. He is a high risk/high reward guy that I think will have a very big offensive season.

I thought that Jorian Donovan and Chandler Romeo looked very good. Donovan really skates and handles the puck well (except for one big mistake). Romeo has his size and a bit of a mean streak. As he fills out a bit he should become a very good Dman. The Bulldogs have lacked that type of player since the championship run.

Gavin White looked really good too. His skating ability was really a factor.

They deserved a better fate last night, but who cares really.

Also, I'm very happy that they don't appear to be using the drop back pass on the PP this year. I can't stand that play.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Projected lineup for the season?

Hard to say after 2 exhibition games.

They should be strong up the middle with Mysak, Morrison and Winterton.

IMO wing is where this team will struggle the most. Bertuzzi just doesn't impress me. Hopefully Avery Hayes takes a big step. Mutter will definitely bring toughness and VanLoon is a great hustle player with stone hands. George Diaco has looked pretty good early and I like Ryan Humphreys game, but they aren't game breakers. Still not sure how much of a scorer Lawson Sherk will be... Haven't seen much of Pharand, Melee and Brown.

Defence is young but has potential with Jorain Donovan and Chandler Romeo. Nathan Staios is a high risk/high reward type who I think will have a very good offensive season. Gavin White looked much improved in the 1 game that I saw. Still waiting to see NHL first rounder Artem Grushnikov. This group might turn out to be pretty good.

Goaltending appears to be decent, but not great. It's a bit crowded with Roy, Costantini and Drobac. Will be interesting to see if they try to develop Drobac.

Just my 2 cents... (or more)

Reactions: LDN and howlman

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Projected lineup for the season?
The toughest part of figuring out the lineup is predicting the OAs since Hamilton has 6. So they can keep 4 (for a little while and then cut 1 around end of November I believe) and only play 3 OAs each game. Forwards: Bertuzzi, Mutter, Van Loon. Defence: Kammerer and Staios. Goaltender: Roy. Every single OA have something to offer and it will suck to lose any, let alone 3.

So far in two exhibition games Van Loon as not played, he useful in many ways in including PK. I believe he will be a lock for an OA spot.

Bertuzzi (OA) - Mysak - Van Loon (OA)
Hayes - Morrison - Winterton
Diaco - Sherk - Duarte
Humphrey - Pharand - Melee
Brown

Staios (OA) - Grushnikov
Romeo - Kammerer (OA)
Donovan - White
Moore

Roy (OA)/Constantini/Drobac

Lots to unpack here...

Mutter (OA): unfortunately I think other OAs have more to offer, although Mutter does bring a pile of energy and grit to the team, and can produce a bit. Romeo has already shown that he can help fill part of the grit role.

Hayes: should be a RW but I didn’t know how to fit him in, and it’s been far too long without hockey to remember who is interchangeable between wings and C.

Bertuzzi: with the forward depth, and actually seeing what lines could look like, I wonder if he doesn’t make the team although he has had good chemistry with Morrison. We will see.

Staios: Hamilton traded a lot to get him, has been the main puck moving D, although I wonder if Grushnikov, Romeo, and Donovan can fill his role (minus the veteran experience). I’m still learning about the rookies and their games, so I’m not sure. If Staios stays, I’d like to see less penalties taken.

Kammerer: a new addition to Hamilton during the pandemic. Sarnia fans would know more about him and his play style but I have troubles seeing Hamilton part ways with him right away. I think he stays as part of the 4 OAs before they’re trimmed to 3 in November.

Roy: I have troubles seeing Roy being let go with a deep team. He’s calm, reliable, and loves handling the puck. I prefer the goalie depth with Roy and Constantini but the Bulldogs will likely want to see more of Costantini in exhibition play to decide if he can be relied upon.

With the OA situation, by guess is Mutter and Bertuzzi end up being traded. From there Hamilton decides which D to trade by the end of November as well.

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The toughest part of figuring out the lineup is predicting the OAs since Hamilton has 6. So they can keep 4 (for a little while and then cut 1 around end of November I believe) and only play 3 OAs each game. Forwards: Bertuzzi, Mutter, Van Loon. Defence: Kammerer and Staios. Goaltender: Roy. Every single OA have something to offer and it will suck to lose any, let alone 3.

So far in two exhibition games Van Loon as not played, he useful in many ways in including PK. I believe he will be a lock for an OA spot.

Bertuzzi (OA) - Mysak - Van Loon (OA)
Hayes - Morrison - Winterton
Diaco - Sherk - Duarte
Humphrey - Pharand - Melee
Brown

Staios (OA) - Grushnikov
Romeo - Kammerer (OA)
Donovan - White
Moore

Roy (OA)/Constantini/Drobac

Lots to unpack here...

Mutter (OA): unfortunately I think other OAs have more to offer, although Mutter does bring a pile of energy and grit to the team, and can produce a bit. Romeo has already shown that he can help fill part of the grit role.

Hayes: should be a RW but I didn’t know how to fit him in, and it’s been far too long without hockey to remember who is interchangeable between wings and C.

Bertuzzi: with the forward depth, and actually seeing what lines could look like, I wonder if he doesn’t make the team although he has had good chemistry with Morrison. We will see.

Staios: Hamilton traded a lot to get him, has been the main puck moving D, although I wonder if Grushnikov, Romeo, and Donovan can fill his role (minus the veteran experience). I’m still learning about the rookies and their games, so I’m not sure. If Staios stays, I’d like to see less penalties taken.

Kammerer: a new addition to Hamilton during the pandemic. Sarnia fans would know more about him and his play style but I have troubles seeing Hamilton part ways with him right away. I think he stays as part of the 4 OAs before they’re trimmed to 3 in November.

Roy: I have troubles seeing Roy being let go with a deep team. He’s calm, reliable, and loves handling the puck. I prefer the goalie depth with Roy and Constantini but the Bulldogs will likely want to see more of Costantini in exhibition play to decide if he can be relied upon.

With the OA situation, by guess is Mutter and Bertuzzi end up being traded. From there Hamilton decides which D to trade by the end of November as well.

I don't think there's any percent chance that Staois isn't one of the 3 OAs based on who the Hamilton decision maker is... You can't trade that many picks for a guy and then cut him, especially when that guy is your son lol

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I don't think there's any percent chance that Staois isn't one of the 3 OAs based on who the Hamilton decision maker is... You can't trade that many picks for a guy and then cut him, especially when that guy is your son lol
Based on our OAs, I wouldn’t automatically consider him a lock. If he’s kept and helps Hamilton win, great. But he’s still worth evaluating, and I trust Steve Staios with whatever decision he makes.

Reactions: Rounder8

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Based on our OAs, I wouldn’t automatically consider him a lock. If he’s kept and helps Hamilton win, great. But he’s still worth evaluating, and I trust Steve Staios with whatever decision he makes.
I don't disagree with your reasoning as to why he would be on the outside looking in. I'm just saying the fact it's the GMs son and they paid a lot to get him definitely factors in, even though it shouldn't

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I agree about the Staois thing. I would trade Bertuzzi for sure and I'm not as big of a Van Loon fan as many are.

Mutter is fun to watch, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded either.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Big news today. OHL raising attendance to half the capacity of the building.

Could be a nice home ice advantage for the Bulldogs considering they have the biggest building. Providing people show up of course. Even 3 or 4 thousand would be really nice.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Strange that 2 forwards (Van Loon and Duarte) played defence last night, especially considering the defence available on the roster. Oh well. It’s only preseason. I think the odds are in Mutter’s favour that he dresses on Friday after that game.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Strange that 2 forwards (Van Loon and Duarte) played defence last night, especially considering the defence available on the roster. Oh well. It’s only preseason. I think the odds are in Mutter’s favour that he dresses on Friday after that game.

Staios and White must be injured. No way they list two forwards as D (Duarte didn't take any D shifts that I saw) if they had 6 available. Van Loon also battling for 1 of the OA spots and being asked to do that... was a tough task.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

I think that Staios got hurt at the end of the Windsor game when he hit somebody. Looked like a shoulder, but I'm only guessing.

Watching Bertuzzi, I don't think there is any chance that he makes the team. It will be interesting to see who makes it among the rest.

For me, it's very noticeable when Staios isn't in the lineup. I think they'll keep Roy as one of the 4. Probably dress Drobac when Costantini starts. That might leave Kramerer as the odd man out?

It looks like White has really made significant strides. I'm very impressed with Donovan and Romeo as well.

Duarte and Diaco have looked good this preseason.

London should be an interesting game...

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I think that Staios got hurt at the end of the Windsor game when he hit somebody. Looked like a shoulder, but I'm only guessing.

Watching Bertuzzi, I don't think there is any chance that he makes the team. It will be interesting to see who makes it among the rest.

For me, it's very noticeable when Staios isn't in the lineup. I think they'll keep Roy as one of the 4. Probably dress Drobac when Costantini starts. That might leave Kramerer as the odd man out?

It looks like White has really made significant strides. I'm very impressed with Donovan and Romeo as well.

Duarte and Diaco have looked good this preseason.

London should be an interesting game...

I don't think there is much of a chance Bertuzzi is not on this team. I wouldn't even be surprised if he wore the C (I'd give it to Morrison).

Bertuzzi, Staios, Van Loon, and Mutter would be my guess. When they have to get down to 3, I think Mutter is out. Van Loon on the PK gives them a threat.

I think its a bad idea to use an OA spot on a goalie that may be the third best option anyhow.

Just my guess. Who knows what management thinks.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I always figured that they were grooming Morrison to wear the C, but with a new coaching staff, who knows...I still think that it will be him though.

As for Bertuzzi, I just don't see it. Like you said though, who knows what management thinks.

I thought that I heard that Mutter might be signing a pro contract as well. I guess we will see.

Just glad to talk hockey again.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sounds like Mysak is on his way back!

Winterton was sent back a day or two ago from Seattle and I’d expect Grushnikov to be sent back from Dallas any day now.

Reactions: barriers

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Bulldogs are going to be fun to watch!

Yep, can't wait.

Should be a VERY solid team. I worry about their goaltending, but if the team plays well enough and Marco struggles maybe they will make a move to upgrade.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Ha! Guess management felt the same way you did with Bert. Really thought he was a lock for this roster.

Morrison for captain has to be a no Brainer now.

They had him wearing a letter as a 17 yr old, so they were definitely grooming Morrison for it. I would be surprised if he wasn't, but it's a new coaching staff so who knows.

It will be interesting to see if they let Roy go. I would, and if they are a contender (they might be) and want to upgrade, they can probably trade for a goalie at the deadline.

My guess is Staios, Mutter and VanLoon are kept. Those games with London showed that we miss a physical prescence that Mutter brings. With Grushnikov coming I not sure that we need Kammerer any more. I'm not a VanLoon fan, but he kills penalties and that might give them a reason to keep him. He seems to be a leader, but who knows cause we aren't in the room.

He's tiny, but Moore has looked pretty good for a 16 yr old on D in the preseason. He didn't seem to be intimidated. If they keep Kammerer, their D looks VERY solid.

Actually, keeping Kammerer is probably best and mix in Moore from time to time. Never hurts to have an extra Dman.

Either way, I can't wait for the weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad