Hamilton Bulldogs 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
OHL trade reprise - Welcome to Hockey News North
Seca added that the exchange of defensemen fills a need for both Sarnia and Hamilton.

“It kind of came by chance that they were looking for a right handed defenceman and we were looking to help our left side,” Seca pointed out. “Obviously Colton Kammerer is a player that has done everything right. But really, this trade was just a good fit both ways.”

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

I don’t know anything about him but anything I’ve read today has been positive.

“He’s probably one of my favorite coaches I’ve ever had,” forward Matt Luff, who played for both the Reign and Kings this season, said earlier this year. “He‘s hard on you, but at the end of the day he really cares about his players. That’s what rubs off.”
Kings part ways with minor-league coach Mike Stothers

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I don’t know anything about him but anything I’ve read today has been positive.

“He’s probably one of my favorite coaches I’ve ever had,” forward Matt Luff, who played for both the Reign and Kings this season, said earlier this year. “He‘s hard on you, but at the end of the day he really cares about his players. That’s what rubs off.”
Kings part ways with minor-league coach Mike Stothers

The Attack forum seem to indicate he was a decent coach but was a victim of bad management and the usually London hardship.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Definitely good news. The timing for the reno to start in the fall of 20201 isn’t the best timing. It will be interesting how much it affects the games (might need to temporarily relocate), and that same season is when Staios is building for a run again. Depending on the size of crowds permitted for large events, this could also have a large impact on the Bulldogs if the reno happens while other teams are making money again.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Definitely good news. The timing for the reno to start in the fall of 20201 isn’t the best timing. It will be interesting how much it affects the games (might need to temporarily relocate), and that same season is when Staios is building for a run again. Depending on the size of crowds permitted for large events, this could also have a large impact on the Bulldogs if the reno happens while other teams are making money again.
They might consider trading for the future if that is the case.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
They might consider trading for the future if that is the case.
Based on the the amount of 16 and 17 year olds the Bulldogs have who will be 18 and 19 that season, I’d be very surprised if they put it off because the arena is being renovated. Even for For OAs, they will have to make some decisions between guys like Bertuzzi, Mutter, Staios, Van Loon, and Vescio. This is exactly how Staios built the team built the championship team 2 years ago. I also expect them to have a pretty good team this coming season (who knows how much of a season we’ll even have). By 2021-22 it will have been 3 full seasons of rebuilding. If they trade for the future, they basically need to go back to square one, and rebuild again.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Hamilton can have 8-19 yr olds this season? I think the team could be very good just by adding OAs.
I agree. And this year would be Kaliyev’s last season. Although I question how good the defence will be along with the goaltending. Overall the defending aspect from the D was not great. I’m interested seeing how Kammerer helps with that part. I don’t see an issue with the offence.

If Hamilton acquires OAs, I see a couple things:
1. Those spots could be used to fill the roles of two-way forwards since Nurse and Johnson both graduated. Those two along with Van Loon were fantastic.
2. I can’t say I’m concerned but I’m more so curious how our younger guys will get more ice time for their development. Guys like Winterton, Sherk, and Diaco all had a very good rookie season. But now we’re seeing better depth, which makes it tougher for guys to move up the lineup.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I could be wrong, but I Jenkins would have had to have been placed on waivers for Acadie-Bathurst to add him.

This pretty much resolves the Bulldogs’ issue of having more defence than spots available.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree. And this year would be Kaliyev’s last season. Although I question how good the defence will be along with the goaltending. Overall the defending aspect from the D was not great. I’m interested seeing how Kammerer helps with that part. I don’t see an issue with the offence.

If Hamilton acquires OAs, I see a couple things:
1. Those spots could be used to fill the roles of two-way forwards since Nurse and Johnson both graduated. Those two along with Van Loon were fantastic.
2. I can’t say I’m concerned but I’m more so curious how our younger guys will get more ice time for their development. Guys like Winterton, Sherk, and Diaco all had a very good rookie season. But now we’re seeing better depth, which makes it tougher for guys to move up the lineup.

I was thinking two of those OA spots would be acquired D. The bulldogs top six D would then consist of five 19-20 yr olds and ‘20-1st pick; plus, an import if he shows. One big OA F such as Grondin or Roberts would round the forward group quite nicely, I think.
Hamilton could easily contend this season if they choose, imo; especially if OAs are as abundant as I believe they will be. Something like Hayes and few picks to Flint could net two of their 5-6 good OAs.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I was thinking two of those OA spots would be acquired D. The bulldogs top six D would then consist of five 19-20 yr olds and ‘20-1st pick; plus, an import if he shows. One big OA F such as Grondin or Roberts would round the forward group quite nicely, I think.
Hamilton could easily contend this season if they choose, imo; especially if OAs are as abundant as I believe they will be. Something like Hayes and few picks to Flint could net two of their 5-6 good OAs.

Oshawa will have one of Will Ennis or Giovanni Vallati available as an OA D

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Saginaw has to chose between Antropov, Katic, Goldowski up front and King on back end. That is assuming that Giroux and Jenkins play in AHL. If they come back then all hell will break loose. They could you a #4 or #5 Dman too.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
This year overall will be interesting as there is a lot of uncertainty.
- Will the OHL finish its season? There will be reluctance from teams wanting to buy. I expect “values” to be low this year and/or there to be extra conditional draft picks.
- Will the AHL go ahead with its season? If not, more players may be sent back to CHL, while some will go overseas. I see there being larger issues with logistics for the AHL them having its season since most teams are in the US, so we could see more players staying or coming back, causing teams (like Saginaw) having to make even more tough roster decisions.

This year will be strange and probably a buyer’s market as I don’t imagine teams will be offering as much in return for the time being.

In terms of Hamilton’s needs, the biggest need will be two-way forwards after losing Nurse and Johnson. Both were excellent on the PK and it’s a huge gap we currently have.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
u think if it was not for covid and the delay in the OHL season the Bulldogs would of hired a new HC already
If it was a normal year, yes they would have because training camps would start right now. However the goal for OHL is a December 1 start, so they have time before training camps (start of Nov?). The only exception I see is that maybe Matsos will remain as interim head coach to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->