Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I wouldn't be too concerned. The Blues haven't come out and said anything about an actual injury. I think it's more likely that they don't want the risk of Thomas getting hurt at the Summer Showcase since he would be a lock for Team Canada anyway (if St Louis allows him to compete in the World Juniors). Even if Thomas had something minimal like muscle tightness from a workout, St Louis could say they don't want him competing in the Summer Showcase because of the risk of it getting worse.

To answer your question though, if there was a serious injury, I would think that, yes, St Louis would keep him in the OHL just like LA did with Vilardi last year.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
A former NHL coach doesn't mean they're good for your team... or that they should be in the NHL. For example: George Burnett. Head coach of the Edmonton Oilers in 94-95, and assistant coach of Anaheim from 98-00. I think he's a good GM in the OHL, but not a good coach.

Dave Matsos expected to me named head coach. Previously associate coach of the Bulldogs (as opposed to assistant coach).

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
A former NHL coach doesn't mean they're good for your team... or that they should be in the NHL. For example: George Burnett. Head coach of the Edmonton Oilers in 94-95, and assistant coach of Anaheim from 98-00. I think he's a good GM in the OHL, but not a good coach.

Dave Matsos expected to me named head coach. Previously associate coach of the Bulldogs (as opposed to assistant coach).

I tend to echo this sentiment. It is a different psychology from pros to junior and a sudden major change to a system which an NHL coach could bring could devastate a team. Just because you were in the big league, doesn't mean you are the right man for the job.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Import pick Tim Fleischer commits to the Bulldogs. Studenic was an incredible player and one of my favourites, I hope Hamilton has a knack for picking talented players in the import draft and that we can expect the same skill out him Tim too.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Good start. That’s way, way more of a return than I would’ve thought you’d get for Jack Hanley

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Hanley played a big part on the team. Wouldn't surprise me if Staios was planning to keep him for his OA year and during the Bulldogs' rebuild because of his reliability in our own end, and Hanley's team leadership. I can't imagine Hanley was going anywhere unless someone was willing to make a solid offer. George Burnett opened up the cupboard of draft picks.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
From the Thomas trade, does the second for Hanley go to London and the MISS 2020 2nd goes the other way?
No, the trade was made the way it was. London got:
Connor McMichael
2nd (HAM) 2021
2nd (MISS) 2020
2nd (HAM) 2025
2nd (HAM) 2026
3rd (HAM) 2022

Remember some of those picks are conditional. There is no way teams could make trades for picks from other teams that a team may or may not be able to acquire down the road.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
No, the trade was made the way it was. London got:
Connor McMichael
2nd (HAM) 2021
2nd (MISS) 2020
2nd (HAM) 2025
2nd (HAM) 2026
3rd (HAM) 2022

Remember some of those picks are conditional. There is no way teams could make trades for picks from other teams that a team may or may not be able to acquire down the road.
Please find below an excerpt from the Free Press at the time of the deal and is noted on Peter's OHL pick spreadsheet.

"The Knights automatically get Hamilton’s second-round pick in 2021. They hold Mississauga’s second-round pick in 2020, which jumps to a ’19 selection if the Bulldogs are able to acquire one."

London Knights trade Robert Thomas to Hamilton as sell-off of veterans continues

Reactions: TheCoach

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
Any word on Philip Broberg if he plans on jumping to the CHL or staying with AIK?
I've seen this earlier this week, but I have no idea how credible the source is.

If you read through the conversation apparently Broberg said he wasn't going to commit earlier this week when asked.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs training camp roster:

http://ohl.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com...010051/2018-Training-Camp-Roster-2-Social.pdf

Lots of questions on the roster. Burnell, Mattinen and Gleason are currently the projected OAs as the rest of their potential OAs are not expected to return--hopefully Staios upgrades this or hopes 1-2 of their OAs get cut from NHL or AHL camps and end up back in Hamilton (unlikely).

Defense is a real question mark, along with the goaltending. Donofrio and Roy are expected to get the jobs--but considering they're in a rebuild, will Staios decide to cash in Donofrio and give the reins to Roy and Beaver for 2018-19, with Costantini likely to take over in 2019-20?

Tanner Shephard is unlikely to make the team--and is headed for Trenton this season, and likely going the NCAA route.

As for the defense--there are a lot of jobs up for grabs, and it is not a guarantee Gleason or Mattinen make it through training camp being OAs on what is expected to be a team that will likely struggle.

Scoring should be OK.. but of course, the question is--how long will Strome and Entwistle stay Bulldogs? With both of them AHL eligible in 2019, it's likely they'll be gone by midseason for picks and young players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad