Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I guess today was an uneasy 1 point?

Good effort by the boys. Careless penalty by Jenek and then a tough delay of game call cost them. They played well today though.

hammer4424

Sep 28, 2018
Bulldogs have played well there last 4 or 5 games, just don't have the results to show it. 2 2 on 1 goals against and a 5 on 3, tough to win games like that. Oshawa is a good team and getting a point is good. Janek is a nice player, just needs to finish in tight more. Glad to see Roy with a bounce back game, although I thought he could have been better in shootout.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
There really is no logical reason for the game to be cancelled, thus why it went on. It's not the league's fault that the school board couldn't attend the game. Both teams were ready and able to play the game on time, and the arena was in suitable condition to host the game, and the weather and roads were good enough for fans to show up and attend for free on short notice. It's unfortunate that many people missed out, but for the people who attended, they saw a great game!

Speaking of the game, it would be great if someone had a clip of Kaliyev chasing Salinitri (I think it was?) on a breakway from 10-15 feet away, and catching up to stop the attempt. That was some incredible skating and defensive work by Kaliyev!

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
It was actually a very good atmosphere considering the circumstances. There was absolutely no reason to cancel it and it went off without a hitch.

Nice job by the Bulldogs of making the best of the situation by making admission free.

Of course Captain Negative had a problem with it to the surprise of nobody.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
There really is no logical reason for the game to be cancelled, thus why it went on. It's not the league's fault that the school board couldn't attend the game. Both teams were ready and able to play the game on time, and the arena was in suitable condition to host the game, and the weather and roads were good enough for fans to show up and attend for free on short notice. It's unfortunate that many people missed out, but for the people who attended, they saw a great game!

Speaking of the game, it would be great if someone had a clip of Kaliyev chasing Salinitri (I think it was?) on a breakway from 10-15 feet away, and catching up to stop the attempt. That was some incredible skating and defensive work by Kaliyev!

See I don't agree there. I think if the roads are so bad the schools close, they are so bad that anyone on the road is in danger (players on buses included). Then add to the fact it's an uncommon 10:30am game, and anyone who had to work would not have been able to attend, I think the league could, and should have let a rebook happen. That said, I don't know if the arena would have been keen on that.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
See I don't agree there. I think if the roads are so bad the schools close, they are so bad that anyone on the road is in danger (players on buses included). Then add to the fact it's an uncommon 10:30am game, and anyone who had to work would not have been able to attend, I think the league could, and should have let a rebook happen. That said, I don't know if the arena would have been keen on that.

The Gens went to Hamilton on Wednesday night so the roads being bad wasn't an issue

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Could they have not pushed the game back to an evening game once they realized there was no school buses.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
The Gens went to Hamilton on Wednesday night so the roads being bad wasn't an issue

The 401/403 might not have been, nor the Main Road in but other roads, maybe not so much. That said, saying the bus got there, no one got into an accident therefor the roads were fine isn't exactly a fair comment to make. I mean, it's too dangerous to bus school kids to school, but not so dangerous that a hockey team can't do it strikes me as absurd.

That said, yeah the roads really weren't that bad, school really shouldn't have been cancelled that second day. I still would have made an exemption if I were the league though, and rebooked/have a more comprehensive rescheduling policy. I mean, after the Humbolt accident in a league based where weather will get out of hand you would think some additional considerations along these lines would be more common and easier to implement to avoid such a potential accident.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm sure there are would be a lot of logistical issues with rescheduling the game. It wouldn't make sense to cancel it since Oshawa was already in town.

And really, the roads were fine yesterday.

LongtimeListener

Nov 27, 2017
Piece about Cameron Supryka from The Spec:

Meet new Bulldog Cam Supryka, ‘pretty much’ the worst stick boy ever

P.S. Regarding the "easy 2 points" from the loss vs. Erie--Otters are 3-7(including the loss vs. Kitchener tonight) in their last 10 games and are set to miss the playoffs--a healthy defense and at least an average goaltender does not give up 7 goals to a bottom-feeding team, especially considering the Bulldogs have too much talent to be losing to bad team like Erie.

I expect bad numbers like this against a elite team like Ottawa, Niagara or Oshawa--but doing this against Erie is not acceptable. Under-performances like this can get coaches fired..and the Bulldogs, regardless of the fact they're rebuilding, are heavily underperforming--though much of that is due to injury.

Remember, though tomorrow's game was to be a School Day Game, the ice storm that hit Hamilton will likely cause the Bulldogs to cancel this game and move it to the normal 7pm--as there's still ice risk in Hamilton tomorrow.

Learned something today...in addition to your inability to predict the outcome of Bulldogs playoff chances and game outcomes you are also quite poor at predicting how and when Bulldogs games are to be cancelled. Your negativity knows no bounds as you even now found a way to mix in weather as another reason to be upset.

You must be a real treat on a dinner date.

Reactions: Rounder8

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Strong game for Arthur Kaliyev as he gets a hat trick and breaks the 40 goal mark(5 point night), as the Bulldogs win 6-4 in Kitchener and get a needed 2 points.

Kaliyev now has 81 points on the season--while unlikely to catch Felhaber, he is the highest scorer among non-OAs that aren't signed by NHL teams.

Matt Strome had a 4-point night and now has tied his career high in points with his hot play in the last 2 games--he is going to go out strong as a Bulldog before he graduates to the Flyers system when Hamilton is likely bounced in the 1st round by Ottawa/Niagara/Oshawa/Sudbury and ends up playing a few games for the Phantoms (AHL) before the season ends.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Learned something today...in --addition to your inability to predict the outcome of Bulldogs playoff chances and game outcomes you are also quite poor at predicting how and when Bulldogs games are to be cancelled. Your negativity knows no bounds as you even now found a way to mix in weather as another reason to be upset.

You must be a real treat on a dinner date.

Reality is, though, the game should have been cancelled in the first place--especially after a huge ice storm hit Hamilton--safety is a major issue. But I understand logistics were an issue, because they don't have time to make up the game at a later date.

Most times, teams would postpone games due to winter storms like Wednesday and Thursday.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'd agree with cancelling the game if the weather is absolutely terrible and people's health could be in danger to traveling to the game but a bus cancellation doesn't always mean everyone needs to stay home, and it wasn't the case on Thursday. Overall they still had a decent crowd considering the short notice to the public, and I thought it was a great idea for the Bulldogs to encourage fans to bring non-perishable food donations (not required) in lieu of paying admission.

Here's an interesting article about the Charlotte Checkers AHL team, since we're on the topic of cancellations. The circumstances for this particular game were quite extreme. A massive storm hit and a state of emergency was declared. Since Bridgeport was already in Charlotte, the game went on but it was closed to the public. The Charlotte Checkers played a game in an empty arena after 4 inches of snow shut down the city

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
A few takeaways from todays game...

The guys didn't really have their legs but battled hard. Donofrio was actually solid in net.

I had a big problem with 2 coaching decisions today.

Matsos has the final change at home and late in the game puts his 4th line out for a faceoff against one of the best lines in the OHL. Hamilton takes a penalty and Ottawa promptly scores the winning goal (a tough bounce for Burnell).

The other was when Ottawa got their penalty with just over 2 mins left and he put his goalie back in the net when they had an offensive zone faceoff. Why not set up a play? Especially since they had a problem with zone entry on the pp all day. The team looked very unorganized in the final 2 minutes in general.

Also, what a great save by the Ottawa goalie on what would have been the tying goal.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Heck of a game that Kitchener game, wasn't too impressed with the Dogs phoning it in a bit on the power play, but they saved the game. I think that may be the organizations first victory in the Aud (although I could be mistaken).

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Big game for the boys tonight.

One player that they really need more from is Eric Henderson. 1 goal and 5 pts in 13 games since they got him just isn't good enough. I know that he isn't a star, but he usually plays on the 2nd line and gets second pp unit time.

It must be tough for a 20yr old to get traded from a top 3 or 4 team to a team with little in the way of playoff chances. Right now he just seems to be going through the motions. Hopefully as the playoffs get closer he can heat up. They could really use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad