Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates Registered User

It was correct until 8:30 this morning. Really sucks for Brandon Saigeon. He deserves a huge ovation and now nobody will be there

2. Generalsupdates

Thanks Rounder

3. Rounder8

Rounder8 Registered User

I guess today was an uneasy 1 point?

Good effort by the boys. Careless penalty by Jenek and then a tough delay of game call cost them. They played well today though.

4. hammer4424

hammer4424 Registered User

Bulldogs have played well there last 4 or 5 games, just don't have the results to show it. 2 2 on 1 goals against and a 5 on 3, tough to win games like that. Oshawa is a good team and getting a point is good. Janek is a nice player, just needs to finish in tight more. Glad to see Roy with a bounce back game, although I thought he could have been better in shootout.

5. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered User

You retired man, off, shift work or make your own hours? You’d be able to able to scoot down to Hamilton for a morning game?
    I know you would but good on you if you could. Maybe come up North when the Gennies are here.

6. digiblader

digiblader Registered User

7. Canadian Game

Canadian Game Registered User

There really is no logical reason for the game to be cancelled, thus why it went on. It's not the league's fault that the school board couldn't attend the game. Both teams were ready and able to play the game on time, and the arena was in suitable condition to host the game, and the weather and roads were good enough for fans to show up and attend for free on short notice. It's unfortunate that many people missed out, but for the people who attended, they saw a great game!

Speaking of the game, it would be great if someone had a clip of Kaliyev chasing Salinitri (I think it was?) on a breakway from 10-15 feet away, and catching up to stop the attempt. That was some incredible skating and defensive work by Kaliyev!

Helvigster and Rounder8 like this.
  8. Rounder8

Rounder8 Registered User

It was actually a very good atmosphere considering the circumstances. There was absolutely no reason to cancel it and it went off without a hitch.

Nice job by the Bulldogs of making the best of the situation by making admission free.

Of course Captain Negative had a problem with it to the surprise of nobody.

Canadian Game and Helvigster like this.
  9. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    See I don't agree there. I think if the roads are so bad the schools close, they are so bad that anyone on the road is in danger (players on buses included). Then add to the fact it's an uncommon 10:30am game, and anyone who had to work would not have been able to attend, I think the league could, and should have let a rebook happen. That said, I don't know if the arena would have been keen on that.

10. Generalsupdates

The Gens went to Hamilton on Wednesday night so the roads being bad wasn't an issue

three dog night likes this.
  11. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Could they have not pushed the game back to an evening game once they realized there was no school buses.

12. Hammer9001

IT
    The 401/403 might not have been, nor the Main Road in but other roads, maybe not so much. That said, saying the bus got there, no one got into an accident therefor the roads were fine isn't exactly a fair comment to make. I mean, it's too dangerous to bus school kids to school, but not so dangerous that a hockey team can't do it strikes me as absurd.

That said, yeah the roads really weren't that bad, school really shouldn't have been cancelled that second day. I still would have made an exemption if I were the league though, and rebooked/have a more comprehensive rescheduling policy. I mean, after the Humbolt accident in a league based where weather will get out of hand you would think some additional considerations along these lines would be more common and easier to implement to avoid such a potential accident.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. Hammer9001

IT
    Not sure, First Ontario might have had something else booked later that night. I believe some local hockey leagues do run out of the venue, but I don't think anything major was there that night so hard to say.

14. Rounder8

Rounder8 Registered User

I'm sure there are would be a lot of logistical issues with rescheduling the game. It wouldn't make sense to cancel it since Oshawa was already in town.

And really, the roads were fine yesterday.

15. LongtimeListener

LongtimeListener Registered User

Learned something today...in addition to your inability to predict the outcome of Bulldogs playoff chances and game outcomes you are also quite poor at predicting how and when Bulldogs games are to be cancelled. Your negativity knows no bounds as you even now found a way to mix in weather as another reason to be upset.

You must be a real treat on a dinner date.

Rounder8 likes this.
  16. digiblader

Strong game for Arthur Kaliyev as he gets a hat trick and breaks the 40 goal mark(5 point night), as the Bulldogs win 6-4 in Kitchener and get a needed 2 points.

Kaliyev now has 81 points on the season--while unlikely to catch Felhaber, he is the highest scorer among non-OAs that aren't signed by NHL teams.

Matt Strome had a 4-point night and now has tied his career high in points with his hot play in the last 2 games--he is going to go out strong as a Bulldog before he graduates to the Flyers system when Hamilton is likely bounced in the 1st round by Ottawa/Niagara/Oshawa/Sudbury and ends up playing a few games for the Phantoms (AHL) before the season ends.

17. digiblader

Reality is, though, the game should have been cancelled in the first place--especially after a huge ice storm hit Hamilton--safety is a major issue. But I understand logistics were an issue, because they don't have time to make up the game at a later date.

Most times, teams would postpone games due to winter storms like Wednesday and Thursday.

18. Canadian Game

Canadian Game Registered User

I'd agree with cancelling the game if the weather is absolutely terrible and people's health could be in danger to traveling to the game but a bus cancellation doesn't always mean everyone needs to stay home, and it wasn't the case on Thursday. Overall they still had a decent crowd considering the short notice to the public, and I thought it was a great idea for the Bulldogs to encourage fans to bring non-perishable food donations (not required) in lieu of paying admission.

Here's an interesting article about the Charlotte Checkers AHL team, since we're on the topic of cancellations. The circumstances for this particular game were quite extreme. A massive storm hit and a state of emergency was declared. Since Bridgeport was already in Charlotte, the game went on but it was closed to the public. The Charlotte Checkers played a game in an empty arena after 4 inches of snow shut down the city

Helvigster and three dog night like this.
  19. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Three in three with Ottawa today also playing three in three might be interesting.

20. PhlyerPhanatic31

PhlyerPhanatic31 Registered User

Head of Sarcasm
    Budweiser Gardens, London, Ontario (309 A 19)
    Finally gonna head to Hamilton for a game. We'll be down for the March 2nd afternoon game

Hammer9001 and Canadian Game like this.
  21. Rounder8

Rounder8 Registered User

A few takeaways from todays game...

The guys didn't really have their legs but battled hard. Donofrio was actually solid in net.

I had a big problem with 2 coaching decisions today.

Matsos has the final change at home and late in the game puts his 4th line out for a faceoff against one of the best lines in the OHL. Hamilton takes a penalty and Ottawa promptly scores the winning goal (a tough bounce for Burnell).

The other was when Ottawa got their penalty with just over 2 mins left and he put his goalie back in the net when they had an offensive zone faceoff. Why not set up a play? Especially since they had a problem with zone entry on the pp all day. The team looked very unorganized in the final 2 minutes in general.

Also, what a great save by the Ottawa goalie on what would have been the tying goal.

Canadian Game likes this.
  22. Hammer9001

IT
    Heck of a game that Kitchener game, wasn't too impressed with the Dogs phoning it in a bit on the power play, but they saved the game. I think that may be the organizations first victory in the Aud (although I could be mistaken).

23. Hammer9001

IT
    I'm making the trip down to London on the 22nd. Hopefully going to hit up some craft breweries, any advice?

PhlyerPhanatic31 likes this.
  24. Rounder8

Rounder8 Registered User

Big game for the boys tonight.

One player that they really need more from is Eric Henderson. 1 goal and 5 pts in 13 games since they got him just isn't good enough. I know that he isn't a star, but he usually plays on the 2nd line and gets second pp unit time.

It must be tough for a 20yr old to get traded from a top 3 or 4 team to a team with little in the way of playoff chances. Right now he just seems to be going through the motions. Hopefully as the playoffs get closer he can heat up. They could really use him.

25. Hammer9001

IT
    Sick dangle by Strome to win it with penalties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.