Hamilton Bulldogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Tough game for the boys to get the legs going with back to back days with travel.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
A few hours.

This game has picked up. Goals by Gravelle and Strome.

Also, Frank Jenkins faired pretty well in his first OHL fight.

Reactions: three dog night

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs win 3-1.

A few days off, and then Barrie on the road again--likely without Kaliyev for that game as he'll be in Alberta for the CHL/NHL Top Prospects game. Then, a long home stand--providing FOC holds up the rest of the season considering the rumors this week regarding the arena's condition.

Reactions: three dog night

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Great win by the boys over Kingston, sadly both Mississauga and North Bay won their games today, so no leap frogging in the standings this time, but at least it gives the Dogs a bit more distance on Barrie.

Big game next Thursday, a win in Barrie opens that gap by 9 points. A loss means Barrie closes to 5 with a couple more games left to play.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Great win by the boys over Kingston, sadly both Mississauga and North Bay won their games today, so no leap frogging in the standings this time, but at least it gives the Dogs a bit more distance on Barrie.

Big game next Thursday, a win in Barrie opens that gap by 9 points. A loss means Barrie closes to 5 with a couple more games left to play.

Of course, the Bulldogs need to aim for a 5-6 seed if they want any chance of winning a playoff round, because a date vs. Niagara is basically death at this point considering Thursday's game, and Ottawa's a tough opponent.

After Barrie, they have a favorable sked to put some distance between them and Barrie, as they play the tanking Missy, Sarnia, a Petes team that has no direction considering they did little at the deadline, and Erie..

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
If they make the playoffs I'm happy. A win against Barrie would put them in good shape.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Of course, the Bulldogs need to aim for a 5-6 seed if they want any chance of winning a playoff round, because a date vs. Niagara is basically death at this point considering Thursday's game, and Ottawa's a tough opponent.

After Barrie, they have a favorable sked to put some distance between them and Barrie, as they play the tanking Missy, Sarnia, a Petes team that has no direction considering they did little at the deadline, and Erie..
Missy does not look like tanking this weekend.

LongtimeListener

Nov 27, 2017

With respect, your playoff predictions and even more so of those you label as "death" mean little. Last season you felt that Niagara, Kingston and the Soo were going to steamroll the Bulldogs in every round and we know how that went...

This was also fueled by your distrust in Fulcher as a playoff-caliber goalie who ended up being one of the biggest keys to that playoff run...

three dog night

May 3, 2014
With respect, your playoff predictions and even more so of those you label as "death" mean little. Last season you felt that Niagara, Kingston and the Soo were going to steamroll the Bulldogs in every round and we know how that went...

This was also fueled by your distrust in Fulcher as a playoff-caliber goalie who ended up being one of the biggest keys to that playoff run...
Hamilton not stacked up this year

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019

Realistically, the Bulldogs are a first round exit no matter what. Ottawa and Niagara will most likely beat us in four or five games, Oshawa will probably beat us in 5 or 6, and our offense may be shut down by Luukkonen and the Wolves.

The only team above 6th place in the Eastern Conference I can see us beating is Peterborough, but even then, the chances of us facing them in the playoffs is very unlikely, unless OTT, NIAG, OSH or SBY fall heavily in the standings.

I would personally dedicate the rest of this season to just making the playoffs to provide playoff experience for the young guns, so that this team can be a contender again in a year or two.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Realistically, the Bulldogs are a first round exit no matter what. Ottawa and Niagara will most likely beat us in four or five games, Oshawa will probably beat us in 5 or 6, and our offense may be shut down by Luukkonen and the Wolves.

The only team above 6th place in the Eastern Conference I can see us beating is Peterborough, but even then, the chances of us facing them in the playoffs is very unlikely, unless OTT, NIAG, OSH or SBY fall heavily in the standings.

I would personally dedicate the rest of this season to just making the playoffs to provide playoff experience for the young guns, so that this team can be a contender again in a year or two.

Basically, that's where the Bulldogs are headed--unless Barrie has a huge surge, Hamilton's making the playoffs, but yeah, they're only getting one round--and likely won't see the playoffs again til 2020-21, as I expect the team to struggle next season and likely end up with a high pick because of a weak OHL draft projected in 2019 + preparing to trade off more pieces to reload for a 2020 draft and future drafts they currently have 3 2nds for 2020 and get pieces that will be part of their next championship core from 2020-21 to 2023-24 or so.. the only pieces that I can guarantee are untouchable for the 2020-21 team are Hayes, Renwick, Morrison, Jenkins Van Loon and Roy and whoever else is in their system who'll try to earn a roster spot as 17 or 18 year olds next year--everyone else is fair game to be traded.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
lol, already traded away 2/3 of next years roster when this season is just over half way over.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
lol, already traded away 2/3 of next years roster when this season is just over half way over.

At the 2020 trade deadline--not now. Much of the Bulldogs roster isn't going to be here a year from now due to pending graduations and need to cash in for picks/young players, and in Jenik and Kaliyev's cases, pending NHL contracts.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Neither one of Jenik or Kaliyev will be in the NHL next year.

I believe that Europeans can be sent to an AHL affiliate when they are 19 though so that could happen with Jenik I guess...

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
I read that article and I'm speechless. Does City Council not care about the Bulldogs? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didn't. I really wish Eisenberger would just come clean and say how he REALLY feels...

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I read that article and I'm speechless. Does City Council not care about the Bulldogs? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they didn't. I really wish Eisenberger would just come clean and say how he REALLY feels...

To be fair, given they are producing a report (due in June) reviewing the venues (and hopefully considerations to sell them). It doesn't make sense to put a for the city to put a dime into First Ontario (apart from the bare minimum) if the plan ends up being, work with Andlauer and build a new arena. It also doesn't make sense to put money down to replace the lines until either a failure, or the season is over and the ice is melted.

All's we can do is write and tweet to Fred and your Councillor about it.

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
To be fair, given they are producing a report (due in June) reviewing the venues (and hopefully considerations to sell them). It doesn't make sense to put a for the city to put a dime into First Ontario (apart from the bare minimum) if the plan ends up being, work with Andlauer and build a new arena. It also doesn't make sense to put money down to replace the lines until either a failure, or the season is over and the ice is melted.

All's we can do is write and tweet to Fred and your Councillor about it.

If I remember correctly, there was an article on the Spec around a year ago about a group that was interested in purchasing the group that runs FirstOntario Centre and the Concert Hall. What happened to that?

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Sarnia fan coming in peace. Just wanted to know if anybody is making the trip to Sarnia for the game on Sunday? If so beer is on me! I'm excited to see Nurse, Strome, and Bertuzzi play.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Sarnia fan coming in peace. Just wanted to know if anybody is making the trip to Sarnia for the game on Sunday? If so beer is on me! I'm excited to see Nurse, Strome, and Bertuzzi play.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Hopefully some make the trip! Bertuzzi unfortunately won't be in the lineup. He's been injured since his first game as a Bulldog. Strome, Nurse, and Kaliyev should be fun ones to watch. I'd also include Navrin Mutter - high energy player and agitator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->