Hamburg Freezers to leave DEL

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
There was never any chance for this attempt to save the team to succeed. If there had been an interest in keeping the team alive, AEG wouldn't have announced all this less than seven days before the papers had to be handed in. The best bet is that with the Handball team already gone, they just decided that a complete overhaul in terms of arena-use would be the better alternative.

Just a few notes that Christoph Schubert had listed:
- 533k had been made through the crowd-funding campaign
- a total of 1.2 million Euro had been raised, including money from 20 different companies
- a new sponsor was prepared to pay 550k per year for ten years (on top of the 1.2 million)

Christoph Schubert can accomplish all that in a matter of days with the help of just a few people, and the freakin AEG cannot find a legitimate buyer for five years? nonsense.

The claim that they tried to sell for five yeas now is nothing but a lie. They publically announced that they weren't interested in selling anymore in 2012. They gave official word that they were very happy with the way the team was getting better and better financially, all that directly contradicts their claims. Not to mention that - as Schubert als mentions - hardly anyone in the sports business was aware that AEG tried to sell the Freezers, how can that be the case?

Simply put, they opted for a different approach with the arena and had to make up some sort of reason why they must let go of the hockey team.

Ya, from what I read it sounds like AEG was pretty underhanded with how they handled this and just wanted the team to disappear. Schubert could have come up with $10 million and it probably wouldn't have mattered.

I also can't help but think that much of the loses AEG claims would have been due to shifting revenue the club generated over to the arena side of the business.

It's unfortunate as it appeared the club had managed to build a relatively large and loyal fan base over the years.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
In the end, Bremerhaven, is the only club that has applied for a licence? And when is going to be decided the final number of teams for the next season?

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
In the end, Bremerhaven, is the only club that has applied for a licence? And when is going to be decided the final number of teams for the next season?

I don't think the league has made an official statement about who submitted DEL licensing paperwork, but Bremerhaven has been the only DEL2 club who applied the last couple of years and also the only DEL2 club who has come out and announced they applied this year, so it stands to reason that, yes, they are the only ones. The DEL licensing process will take until the end of June.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Christoph Schubert will stay in Hamburg and has signed with Crocodiles Hamburg to play in the Oberliga next season.

I guess he really likes it in Hamburg and does not want to move his family to a new city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad