Halo: Reach is Here!

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's nice having this game on PC now, along with the others when they launch next year.

A few issues with the PC version that need to be addressed, but it's been a blast playing Halo again.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I never played Reach. Worth a go?

I stopped at 1-3, and dabbled a little in 5.

For $10 I don't think you can go wrong.

It's not as good as 1-3. you can see the CoD influence starting to change the fundamentals of Halo before they get completely ruined in Halo 4. But the campaign is still solid and the multiplayer with the title update included is still extremely fun.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
For $10 I don't think you can go wrong.

It's not as good as 1-3. you can see the CoD influence starting to change the fundamentals of Halo before they get completely ruined in Halo 4. But the campaign is still solid and the multiplayer with the title update included is still extremely fun.

I'm more wondering about the "worth the time" factor than the price. Just got a lot to play and not a lot of time. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm more wondering about the "worth the time" factor than the price. Just got a lot to play and not a lot of time. :laugh:

Ah I hear ya.

Well the campaign can be completed in like 5-6 hours with friends, it only took our group 2 sitting to finish it. It's not a huge drop in quality from the campaigns in 1-3, there's a couple missions that do some interesting new things. The story isn't really mandatory if you care about the Halo storyline.

So I'd recommend running through it if you're itching for some Halo, but it's a skippable entry in the series otherwise.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I was going to rank them based on the best Halo campaigns in regards to fun and overall storyline...

1. Halo 3: ODST
2. Halo: Reach
3. Halo 2

You simply cannot go wrong with any of them. Reach is a standalone game, but is a prequel which setups the events for Halo 1 quite nicely. Reachs' multiplayer sucks though, was definitely the most vanilla and bland of the series with the stupid armour features and unmemorable maps. It's campaign is easily worth the ten quid though.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Already did a tour of the games a few months ago, but damn does it feel good to play Reach at higher framerates.

I have to believe Halo 5: Guardians will eventually come out on PC? Never played it (and I heard the campaign is sorta sterile), but the multiplayer seemed pretty great and ideal for PC.

Reactions: Beau Knows

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Best quality Reach's campaign has is consistency. I prefer Halo 3 overall, but Reach doesn't have any weak links in its catalogue (whereas 3's Cortana level can be a real pain in the ass), while 8 of 9 levels do a great job of combining on foot and vehicle portions. Game feels great at 60 FPS or above.

Reactions: Beau Knows

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Best quality Reach's campaign has is consistency. I prefer Halo 3 overall, but Reach doesn't have any weak links in its catalogue (whereas 3's Cortana level can be a real pain in the ass), while 8 of 9 levels do a great job of combining on foot and vehicle portions. Game feels great at 60 FPS or above.

“Cortana” sucks more so because it’s just very difficult as opposed to being a bad level IMO.

I’m playing through the campaign now. I forgot all the changes Reach had compared to the previous games. Maximum 4 grenades instead of 8 is a nice subtle touch, single shot DMR instead of the standard BR, and making Jackals+Elites a lot more dangerous.

I forgot about the power ups too. f*** that armor lock bullshit right into the f***ing sun! :laugh:

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I’ve been playing it sparingly on PC. I think it’s very well made and runs perfectly(outside of crouching). As someone who never quite got into halo, it’s hard for me to stay connected to its gameplay loop. Perhaps I’d feel differently with a dedicated group to play with and coordinate with. The map pool seems small for competitive hardcore. I’m going to give invasion(?) mode a shot. 6v6. Vehicles. More of the style of multiplayer game I’d prefer.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’ve been playing it sparingly on PC. I think it’s very well made and runs perfectly(outside of crouching). As someone who never quite got into halo, it’s hard for me to stay connected to its gameplay loop. Perhaps I’d feel differently with a dedicated group to play with and coordinate with. The map pool seems small for competitive hardcore. I’m going to give invasion(?) mode a shot. 6v6. Vehicles. More of the style of multiplayer game I’d prefer.

If memory serves correct, it's basically just a rip off of Battlefield's rush mode, except you capture king of the hills instead of plant bombs.

Reactions: Salvage21

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I miss Halo. Can people play it on Xbox again? I have fun in shooters less and less every year since 2012 honestly. Halo Reach was a disappointment to me at the time with its dumb changes, but compared to what we get now it’s amazing. Bring Good Halo back.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well I did end up playing it co-op with a buddy.

Had fun, but overall I don't think it was a well done port to PC.

Everything that had to do with sound was pretty bad...from muted gun sounds to de-synchronized sound effects to voice acting that was....just off to a very muted (and lackluster in many parts) soundtrack. Really pulls you out of the experience. There were also a couple crashing issues with the co-op.

It was worth the play in co-op for the crazy Halo action though.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well I did end up playing it co-op with a buddy.

Had fun, but overall I don't think it was a well done port to PC.

Everything that had to do with sound was pretty bad...from muted gun sounds to de-synchronized sound effects to voice acting that was....just off to a very muted (and lackluster in many parts) soundtrack. Really pulls you out of the experience. There were also a couple crashing issues with the co-op.

It was worth the play in co-op for the crazy Halo action though.

Not entirely related to your post but I just watched this a few days ago and thought it was pretty interesting

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Reach multiplayer still sucks. Armor lock is total bullshit. AR starts while everyone is zipping around on jetpacks is really lame.

The campaign is awesome though. Forgot how great it was from start to finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->