Halo: Master Chief Collection - Fixed?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - MCC Update

After the disaster that was the MCC launch, I gave Halo 5 a couple of months but ultimately stopped playing.

With the news of the patch, I decided to download it (like 80 GB!) and give some multiplayer a shot.

I don't know if it's just nostalgia kicking in, but the game is so, so much fun. Matchmaking seems like it's working quite well; I've yet to have any issues. The population is smaller, to be sure...but I've yet to wait longer than a few minutes for H1 and H2 Hardcore.

I'm not sure if this fun will be sustained, but it's been an absolute blast. I'd highly recommend giving it a look if you were disappointed with the MCC when it launched.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I played quite a bit of MCC by myself since it was impossible to try to find a game with friends, actually it was impossible to join a friends party to begin with. The problem I had is that the playlists tended to be fiesta style where you would go from Halo 1 to Halo 4 to Halo 3 to Halo 2. That in part sounds like a lot of fun right? Wrong, since each Halo game has very different mechanics/code for the game play, especially when it came to the weapons. The Halo 2 BR is way different than the Halo 3 which is astronomically different to Halo 4 - then picture in that each game has different hit boxes as well. Not only that, but some of the games in BTB in Halo 1 majority of the time the other team would just quit out of the game due to getting absolutely destroyed. So in some games, the teams would (no joke) be 8 v 3 for at least 1/3 of the match.

I starting downloading the update and will give it a chance because I am sucker for Halo. Huge update though, it is as much as Battlefield 1 for the entire game.

Last edited:

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I was always able to find games with my buddy and play before the update. The new update definitely has streamlined the menus but the match making is super limited right now. Everything felt pretty good and the new 4K upgrade is awesome. However I will have to disagree that I enjoyed the switching between titles in match making.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I played quite a bit of MCC by myself since it was impossible to try to find a game with friends, actually it was impossible to join a friends party to begin with. The problem I had is that the playlists tended to be fiesta style where you would go from Halo 1 to Halo 4 to Halo 3 to Halo 2. That in part sounds like a lot of fun right? Wrong, since each Halo game has very different mechanics/code for the game play, especially when it came to the weapons. The Halo 2 BR is way different than the Halo 3 which is astronomically different to Halo 4 - then picture in that each game has different hit boxes as well. Not only that, but some of the games in BTB in Halo 1 majority of the time the other team would just quit out of the game due to getting absolutely destroyed. So in some games, the teams would (no joke) be 8 v 3 for at least 1/3 of the match.

I starting downloading the update and will give it a chance because I am sucker for Halo. Huge update though, it is as much as Battlefield 1 for the entire game.

I didn't mind the abrupt changes from each Halo as you mentioned with the BR. I think it's partly because I played Halo: CE - Halo 4 growing up, so I can recall the differences and it isn't jarring to me. I agree that the BR from Halo 2 to 3 is a huge difference. I am much better at Halo 3, but actually prefer Halo 2's feel for the BR.

The quitting problem is definitely an issue. 343 needs to address it by being more harsh with their punishment, similar to Overwatch where you get banned from matchmaking for 10 mins if you quit too many games in a period of time.

I haven't tried this new update yet, but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot when I have some free time.

343 also mentioned that they have not ruled out remaking Halo: Reach. If they made some changes, such as the motion blur and bloom, that game would be a lot of fun.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the idea of just having a way to switch between games in multiplayer instead of being forced to play the sane version because of map voting over and over.
I didn't mind the abrupt changes from each Halo as you mentioned with the BR. I think it's partly because I played Halo: CE - Halo 4 growing up, so I can recall the differences and it isn't jarring to me. I agree that the BR from Halo 2 to 3 is a huge difference. I am much better at Halo 3, but actually prefer Halo 2's feel for the BR.

The quitting problem is definitely an issue. 343 needs to address it by being more harsh with their punishment, similar to Overwatch where you get banned from matchmaking for 10 mins if you quit too many games in a period of time.

I haven't tried this new update yet, but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot when I have some free time.

343 also mentioned that they have not ruled out remaking Halo: Reach. If they made some changes, such as the motion blur and bloom, that game would be a lot of fun.

The funny thing is 343 has that exact type of punishment system in place for 5.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I don't like switching between playlists randomly either. I wonder if the player base is too low to do anything else these days? I haven't played in a few years, so I should try to get back into it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

For the record I don't entirely hate it and at some points I absolutely love it such as in BTB. I played every single Halo game as well, but I've come to the conclusion that it takes time to adjust when you go from Halo 1 to Halo 3. Such as, nothing's crazier than going from something like Halo 2 original edition all the way to Halo 4 with the sprinting feature and grappling. When I played the game consistently, majority of the playlists at the time contained many cross-games filled with a ton of bugs. I would consider myself a competitive gamer when it comes to Halo, so it became more frustrating than not.

Just have 50/50 for the playlists where 50% is just entirely Halo 1, Halo 2, or Halo 3, and the other 50% is filled with cross-jumping. It seemed that 343 did more gametype playlists adding maps from many different games into things like swat, BTB, slayer, and skirmish.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It was also a 4K update.

Is it optional? Because thats crazy

Like, my internet sucks. I only do game downloads at night because I cant do anything else while its downloading. 80gb will take me 5-6 nights, and I dont have a 4K TV.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
More Halo updates released yesterday, sounds like MCC is getting a big update...

- Halo Reach multiplayer is coming to the MCC.
- Halo Reach campaign is coming to the MCC (but early reports say it will cost money). WTF M$?
- Halo Firefight will be coming to the MCC (reports say it will cost money to buy too). Not sure which firefight this will be, did Reach even have one? All I know off the top of my head is ODST.
- Everything is supposedly in 4K for the people who have the XBX.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Lame that the campaign for Reach has to be purchased. Seems so unnecessary, they’re doing the multiplayer just go all the way and make it free. Always need to nickle and dime people I swear.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Lame that the campaign for Reach has to be purchased. Seems so unnecessary, they’re doing the multiplayer just go all the way and make it free. Always need to nickle and dime people I swear.
You are getting 4 full AAA titles, the campaign for ODST and they are adding reach Multiplayer in the base game.

Quite a great value really. Don't get the complaints. You can find the game for like $20 used easily, its on sale all the time on Xbox and its on GamePass. For PC even if its $60 at launch thats a hell of a deal.

Also since it will be on the Windows 10 store on PC along with Steam, if you have game pass you can play it for free on PC too. All game pass games on the windows 10 store are free on PC too. This one shouldnt be any different.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You are getting 4 full AAA titles, the campaign for ODST and they are adding reach Multiplayer in the base game.

Quite a great value really. Don't get the complaints. You can find the game for like $20 used easily, its on sale all the time on Xbox and its on GamePass. For PC even if its $60 at launch thats a hell of a deal.

Also since it will be on the Windows 10 store on PC along with Steam, if you have game pass you can play it for free on PC too. All game pass games on the windows 10 store are free on PC too. This one shouldnt be any different.
Depends on the price for Halo Reach and firefight because all the Halo games are already backwards compatible on the Xbox. Why should I be charged or pay M$ like 15 bucks when I still have my Reach and can put the disk in anytime I want for free to begin with?

They gave users ODST for how monumental their mistakes were when it came down to MCC's matchmaking. A problem that persisted for an entire two to three years before it ever truly gotten fixed. Not sure they deserve to put a price tag on future content considering what happened with MCC's history as a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad